Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

no video just stills. is this good enough computer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt. (8 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2017 15:47 as a reply to  @ post 18478398 |  #16

Before responding to OP, I tried to look up the specific laptop listed, but no video spec. I went to Dell website and tried to configure a Dell i7, and it asked for which video card -- but I had to consult NVIDIA website to see video res for the card -- and then returning to Dell site I still could NOT find the spec of it's monitor...and then my power failed to my home, including my cable and internet feed before finishing configuring a laptop ...it has been over 2 hrs. now.

davesrose wrote in post #18478420 (external link)
Not for current laptops. Many new laptops are IPS with resolutions past 1920x1080. I recently bought another laptop, and saw that most manufacturers gave their specs for displays (15 and 17" displays now have options for 1080p or 3840x2160...and IPS seems to be the standard). HP Spectre x2 12" laptop is 3000x2000 IPS. Even integrated Intel graphics have supposed to have improved in performance (to be able to drive resolutions past 1080P)

Just got power back and tried again. Finished configuring the PC on the Dell website, I then picked the 15.6" size specified previously by OP, and I cannot find any video specification for the monitor!!!

[edit] I had to COMPARE two Dell laptops in order to see any monitor specification! Although the video card is capable of far more resolution, I had to get this far to discover the inadequacy (for me) of a1920 x 1080 monitor and no option for higher res at that size....and I have no idea what size to get if I wanted higher res, other than to go thru changing the configuration of the laptop!
Let me repeat: the PC manufacturers MAKE IT HARD to find out video resolution of laptops until you are very deep into configuring the laptop! I cannot find a way to specify "I want/need more than 1920x1080, what brands/models of laptops can be purchased meeting or exceeding that criteria?"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2017 15:52 |  #17

Archibald wrote in post #18478456 (external link)
An SSD makes practically no difference for LR performance. I've tried it. No noticeable difference. But big hassles in eventually transferring files to a bigger HDD when the SSD fills up.

I would suggest getting a docking station for an hard drive with a USB port connection, moving SSD data to the hard drive via LR data management for longer term storage, freeing up SSD space.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 22, 2017 16:05 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18478473 (external link)
Before responding to OP, I tried to look up the specific laptop listed, but no video spec. I went to Dell website and tried to configure a Dell i7, and it asked for which video card -- but I had to consult NVIDIA website to see video res for the card -- and then returning to Dell site I still could NOT find the spec of it's monitor...and then my power failed to my home, including my cable and internet feed before finishing configuring a laptop ...it has been over 2 hrs. now.

Just got power back and tried again. Finished configuring the PC on the Dell website, I then picked the 15.6" size specified previously by OP, and I cannot find any video specification for the monitor!!!

[edit] I had to COMPARE two Dell laptops in order to see any monitor specification! Although the video card is capable of far more, and had to get this far to discover the inadequacy (for me) of a1920 x 1080 monitor and no option for higher res at that size.

Not sure how you're doing your research, but I found it rather quickly...

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …0hq_16gb_512ssd​_1050.html (external link)

Dell has several generations of Inspiron laptops, but this one seems to match the description in the OP pretty much spot on. Says pretty clearly here that the screen is a TN panel, in which case I agree that the OP should look into other products for photo editing.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2017 16:09 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #19

The RETAILER makes that visible quickly and easily, the DELL web site DOES NOT!!!
And if I want 2560x1440 resolution as a minimum, which Dell product offers me that?!

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2017 16:18 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #20

The Dell XPS series offers 3840x2610 as an option (for example) The laptop I got was a Lenovo 15" 2-in-1 with 2160P IPS display. Laptop screens that go over 1080P seem to favor 2160P vs 1440. When I was looking at the Dell XPS, HP Spectre, or Lenovo 2-in-1s I found the screen descriptions pretty straight forward on the manufacturer's site (and were either over 1080P or had options to go over 1080P). And the screen type for the Inspiron is clearly labeled under the laptop's configuration:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 22, 2017 16:54 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #18478493 (external link)
The RETAILER makes that visible quickly and easily, the DELL web site DOES NOT!!!
And if I want 2560x1440 resolution as a minimum, which Dell product offers me that?!

Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, anybody who's researching a product should have the due diligence to do a 2 minute search around to find the specs of that product, and of course to find competing prices (thus, looking at various retailers).

All that being said, I agree that Dell should make that information more readily available, but your initial post suggested that the information was hard to find and that's simply not the case.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,944 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 22, 2017 20:13 |  #22

Archibald wrote in post #18478456 (external link)
An SSD makes practically no difference for LR performance. I've tried it. No noticeable difference. But big hassles in eventually transferring files to a bigger HDD when the SSD fills up.

You should perhaps read http://www.computer-darkroom.com …be-lightroom-performance/ (external link). You can skip most content and go directly to the last few paragraphs. But I will say that getting the most from a LR/SSD combination requires some tweaking, at least with Windows. And you can experience a significance difference.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,193 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2017 20:25 |  #23

John from PA wrote in post #18478650 (external link)
You should perhaps read http://www.computer-darkroom.com …be-lightroom-performance/ (external link). You can skip most content and go directly to the last few paragraphs. But I will say that getting the most from a LR/SSD combination requires some tweaking, at least with Windows. And you can experience a significance difference.

As I said, I tried it, and your "absolutely amazing" = not noticeable. Have you tried it yourself?

An SSD gives much faster boot times. That is an advantage. Waking from sleep is also faster. But working on LR is about the same.

Having recent photo files on an SSD and the main body on a bigger HDD is difficult to manage, and I found it to be a big hassle. It is not as simple as just doing a file transfer from time to time. You also have to pay attention to non-LR files that might be in the folders, confirm the integrity of the moves, and maintain your backups. Also, those transfers take quite some time to do.

Please try it yourself.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2017 20:41 |  #24

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18478523 (external link)
Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, anybody who's researching a product should have the due diligence to do a 2 minute search around to find the specs of that product, and of course to find competing prices (thus, looking at various retailers).

All that being said, I agree that Dell should make that information more readily available, but your initial post suggested that the information was hard to find and that's simply not the case.

First of all, I am totally calm, I am merely trying to EMPHASIZE my point.

I tried more than once to find what screen resolution was provided AND what optional resolution screen was available, and failed both times to find an option of > 1920x1080. I took my time trying to find that information, not rushed, and I found the 1920x1080 only when I chose two different models of laptops to compare. I did look for a 'Spec' tab or link with the screen resolution, but could not find one.

In your screen shot, I still fail to seen an option for higher screen resolution.

Articles have been written about low res screens usually found in laptops, and how difficult it is to select by screen resolution...it is an afterthought in the selection criteria of manufacturers, not as a Select Laptop By Resolution parameter.

https://www.laptopmag.​com …-screen-resolution-ripoff (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 22, 2017 21:33 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #25

Your second post was about how laptop screens shouldn't be used for image editing because few are IPS or greater then 1080P. I showed proof of how Dell's website shows the Inspiron's display tech (you don't have to to convoluted searches). With the Inspiron 15, there is an option for IPS, though admittedly 1080P is the only option for 15" (some would argue 1080 is all that's needed for 15", but I do like my 2160P display). If the OP wants 2160P, there are other Dell models that have it (the XPS display scores quite well). As I stated, when I was searching for a laptop, I didn't find any problems in finding the specs of the computer's screen. In fact, with 2-in-1s, I assume manufacturers know a lot of artists are looking at them, and >1080P is often advertised in their product literature.

Your link goes to an opinion article that's over 1 year old, and the author claims laptop screens suck because they are 768P. That's mostly the sub $500 "budget" ones. Frankly, I've found screen specs is one area with the biggest advancements with the current batch of laptops. There are quite a few IPS displays, and now 2160P is a premium option. It must partly be that the technology is getting cheaper with higher demands with UHD TVs and video content.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt.

Oct 22, 2017 21:40 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #26

So I have posted about the need for IPS and how screen resolution matters, and you have posted about how (in the case of Dell) that information is available to the consumer. So the OP wins!

The point is to educate the OP, not win debates with each other.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,944 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 8 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 23, 2017 07:52 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #18478493 (external link)

IMO, the Dell website is a bit more for the tech savvy buyer or corporate buyer as opposed to the retailer websites than are price driven and only give a summary of the specs. Your words, "quickly and easily" I can't measure but a few minutes of imputing the OP's initial specs came up with a laptop that had a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti video card, not the 1050 as specified by the OP. On the Tech Specs and Customization tab, under Display, it clearly reads "15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display".

On your second point, the 2560 x 1440 resolution, that may not be offered by Dell. But you could settle for something better. See http://www.dell.com …s?oc=dndnf408s&​l=en&s=dhs (external link) which has a 15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display. It too has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti video card, not the 1050 as specified by the OP.

Now, I will say that I favor Dell hardware and I've had numerous models since about 2001 so I do know my way around the Dell website.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 23, 2017 10:15 |  #28

Since resolution is being discussed, I'm curious...

For a 15 inch laptop display, I usually see 3 resolutions: 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160.

Is more resolution better for photo editing?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,193 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 23, 2017 10:37 |  #29

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18479001 (external link)
Since resolution is being discussed, I'm curious...

For a 15 inch laptop display, I usually see 3 resolutions: 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160.

Is more resolution better for photo editing?

I have a 13" Dell laptop with 1920x1080 resolution and find it very good for LR while travelling. I suppose the higher resolutions would be better, though... downside might be that scaling might not always work well (meaning that text might become very tiny and hard to read). That was an issue in the past, not sure of its present status.

A 15" screen would be better for editing, but much less portable. I had a 15" and after a while left it at home because of the size of the laptop and its brick of a power supply. The 13" is wonderful and goes everywhere. But it is a compromise for photo work. I do final editing on the desktop at home and the desktop is quite a bit better. There is no perfect solution, but there are good solutions.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 23, 2017 11:41 |  #30

Archibald wrote in post #18479015 (external link)
I have a 13" Dell laptop with 1920x1080 resolution and find it very good for LR while travelling. I suppose the higher resolutions would be better, though... downside might be that scaling might not always work well (meaning that text might become very tiny and hard to read). That was an issue in the past, not sure of its present status.

A 15" screen would be better for editing, but much less portable. I had a 15" and after a while left it at home because of the size of the laptop and its brick of a power supply. The 13" is wonderful and goes everywhere. But it is a compromise for photo work. I do final editing on the desktop at home and the desktop is quite a bit better. There is no perfect solution, but there are good solutions.

Thanks.

I'm toying with the idea of a 17 inch laptop for photo editing. I'm not concerned about the size or weight. It won't be a go-everywhere laptop.
Just go some places.

I have my eye on the Dell Precision 7720. Base price not too bad, but customization can drive the price sky-high.
http://www.dell.com …ion-17-7720-laptop?~ck=bt (external link)

There are other laptops as well. Or I may just keep my desktop and forget about portability.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links

2,349 views & 8 likes for this thread
no video just stills. is this good enough computer
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.