Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?

mikev63
164 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 31, 2017 14:08 as a reply to  @ post 18485597 |  #31

So if you send it to Photoshop anyway. Why switch from LR? You are still paying the same monthly price?

Capture One and LR are pretty much the same with some cosmetic differences?

Mike Ventarola
Gear List

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 31, 2017 15:01 |  #32

mikev63 wrote in post #18485598 (external link)
So if you send it to Photoshop anyway. Why switch from LR? You are still paying the same monthly price?

Capture One and LR are pretty much the same with some cosmetic differences?

I use CS6, so no monthly payment for me.

C1 is more advanced in may ways then Lr. It is, however, more difficult to learn.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,873 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 31, 2017 17:31 |  #33

digital paradise wrote in post #18484961 (external link)
Yeah the variants took a bit of getting used to. Scatterbrained said structure that I assume is the sharpening between capture and export. I called it detail. I found clarity in there. I worked it and then worked LR to match. LR you can do it in the detail tab because for export you get 3 choices. For what it is worth I got these. i did not touch the colour with either and my LR defaults were applied. I did like Capture quite a bit.

For what it is worth. First one is Capture, second is LR.

At least the color rendition is quite similar. I have just started playing with DxO vs. LR and find DxO is pretty different 'right out of the box'. I will continue playing with it, to see just what needs tweaking in DxO to look more similar to LR (with Vibrance and Saturation being the only things adjusted in LR for the test!)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/IMG_8079_DxO_zpswnmxnklx.jpg
DxO

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/IMG_8079dup_zpsc8jbauxw.jpg
LR

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,044 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 31, 2017 18:23 |  #34

LR was set to Camera Standard and some of why personal tweaks that auto apply. Not big changes. I like it in between the red skin tones of DPP and yellows of Adobe. Capture was there right away.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,044 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Nov 01, 2017 10:58 |  #35

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18485079 (external link)
. . . . .
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Scatterbrained in
./showthread.php?p=184​85079&i=i159510132
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I downloaded the free trial again but have not installed it yet. We have to step out for a while.

You got me curios about this. Thanks a lot :-) I was there but only adjusted the Clarity. So I will hunt for the video that explains this however if you like you could help me with it. What does it do when I move it to the left or right?

Image Editing OK

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2017 13:04 |  #36

digital paradise wrote in post #18486183 (external link)
I downloaded the free trial again but have not installed it yet. We have to step out for a while.

You got me curios about this. Thanks a lot :-) I was there but only adjusted the Clarity. So I will hunt for the video that explains this however if you like you could help me with it. What does it do when I move it to the left or right?

I made a sample of comparison images. If you push structure and pull clarity, you can even pull off a subtle Orton effect right in C1.

. . . .

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2017 13:05 |  #37

. . . set 2

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2017 13:06 |  #38

Set 3. . .

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,178 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 01, 2017 13:14 |  #39

^^ Been using C1 for a few months now, and didnt even try those tricks, very cool.

to answer TS, learning curve is very steep, transition is very difficult, but hell it's totally worth it IMO. I just feel so much better about color control on any subject.

the adjustment layers are so much better organized, 100% zooming is a million times faster to check focus, and the customization factor is very high. Such a good raw editor that I dont feel the need to revisit LR...... ever.

Just have to consider that the program is very complex, and you have to set it up the way you do things. Treat it as something entirely different, and you'll be better off. If I had the same mentality going into the Sony world, I probably would have switched much sooner. There's a method to the madness.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 01, 2017 13:19 |  #40

Charlie wrote in post #18486278 (external link)
... 100% zooming is a million times faster to check focus, and the customization factor is very high. Such a good raw editor that I dont feel the need to revisit LR ...

The loupe tool alone is worth its weight in bitcoin.

kirk

Kirk
---

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,044 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Nov 01, 2017 13:54 |  #41

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18486270 (external link)
Set 3. . .

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=184​86270&i=i23970261

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=184​86270&i=i152593225

Thanks for the work you did. I was not sure if it would be that noticeable. Like you said it should be part of the sharpening tool kit.

Image Editing OK

KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 26, 2017 20:03 |  #42

I just got the trial version of C1 today. I imported my lightroom catalog but it only imported 199 out of 10,000 photos. I've tried it a couple times and get the same result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Lightroomm CC.

I've pulled a couple images into C1 individually. Does C1 create a TIFF when I send an image from C1 to Photoshop?

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited 11 months ago by TooManyShots.

Dec 26, 2017 21:54 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

I LOVE Capture One Pro. I think it works really, really well with Nikon RAW files. The quality of the conversion is night and day comparing to Nikon's own raw editor and Capture One. The import process isn't automatic and not that intuitive. You have to first create a new session. Otherwise, the photos would get imported to your LAST open session. If you don't create a new session every time, C1 internal database can get too big. When I first started using it, the database file got corrupted. I lost all of my raw editing settings and I was using just ONE session..hehehehe.. Nowadays, I create a new session every time. All of the save file folders and directory paths aren't automatic either. You have to tell it where to import the files too. The color balance feature isn't that great. I use CC for that instead. The batch process on Capture One is very, very powerful and FAST. The highlight recovery feature is just mind blowing. My highlight could be close to 2 stops clipping to the right. Capture One can recover details from it!!!!

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by drmaxx. (2 edits in all)

Dec 27, 2017 02:05 |  #44

I also just got the trial version today and take my first steps around the program. Quite intimidating - but I am redoing a small batch of pictures that I edited with LR last week and see what the result will be with Capture One.
Thank you all for your insights - gave me the push to take on this endeavor.

Donate if you love POTN

KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by KatManDEW.

Dec 27, 2017 09:05 |  #45

One of my biggest reasons for wanting to try C1 was highlight recovery, I've always had trouble with whites in Lightroom and ACR, and I've seen some dratamatic examples of highlight/white recovery with C1. After a little experimentation with C1 I am unable to see any dramatic improvement. The C1 tools are very different than LR/ACR, so I may be missing something.

Two negatives strike me so far - I miss the adjustment brush and graduated filter in LR. And I do NOT like the way C1 creates a TIFF file every time I send an image to Photoshop.

The first attached image is with C1. Second is with LR.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

15,436 views & 15 likes for this thread
How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.