Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 10:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a camera bag that isnt a camera bag

ekinnyc
756 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 02, 2017 10:33 |  #1

I currently have a Billingham Hadley Pro that i use for storing my 6D, 35mm f/2 IS, flash, BR strap, and various minutae like memory cards and spare batteries.

i also use the Billingham to carry my camera locally (i.e. trip to zoo). however, i dont find it to be a very practical travel bag, especially for overseas trips - other than my kit, i cant fit much else in there. this leads me to use a regular incase backpack, and roll the camera up in a tshirt.

im considering selling the Billingham, and storing the camera in a box in a drawer. however, what i am really looking for is a recommendation for a backpack that isnt just a dedicated camera backpack. as mentioned, i currently have an Incase, its an older Slim backpack. I love bringing it on vacation with me, as it allows me to carry a bunch of stuff not just on the plane, but also when im out and about (had it with me on my trip to spain just now) and it allowed me to carry my 6D + sling (when not using), a large bottle of water, and allow me to shove a sweater in there and the like.

can folks recommend a backpack that will allow me to do this - something that has a small camera compartment, and yet still allows for space to carry other things?

or am i better off purchasing a camera insert such as this one: https://www.incase.com …camera/camera-insert-lite (external link) and just continuing to use my current backpack

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,786 posts
Gallery: 1179 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 02, 2017 10:43 |  #2

Lowepro's Fastpack series has a camera section and the rest is free storage. Not expensive.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 03, 2017 12:32 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

thanks. i should've added that i also have the older LowePro Versapack 200, which is similar to fastpack. i still find the space limiting - it has enough room for small things for a day or a short trip, but still not exactly what i was looking for.

i wound up ordering a padded insert, which should fit my incase backpack very well, and still allow me to have space when i need it: https://www.amazon.com …age_o00_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by 2mnycars. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2018 15:02 |  #4

Maxpedition makes gnarly bags and packs. definitely don't look like camera bags. Mine was intended to carry 2 Glocks and clips
It is a shoulder bag I use as an everyday carry bag. I've looked at their packs briefly, but I haven't bought due to cost

Have you looked at Tom Bihn bags? great variety

Dave

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 16, 2018 22:48 |  #5

The Peak Design Everyday Backpack sounds like exactly what you need. https://www.peakdesign​.com …t/bags/everyday​-backpack/ (external link)

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 20, 2018 08:43 |  #6

A Timbuk2 messenger bag (medium) with Snoop insert is a great combination. It is inconspicuous and holds two 1 Series bodies with short lenses plus small bits.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

loshimself
30 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 22, 2018 21:05 |  #7

i had a similar issue as i always have to carry my work laptop and had a bunch of laptop bags that i use daily as well as other on the weekends or even when traveling so i was looking for something that could be more of an insert. i bought a highly recommended one of amazon that was twice the size of most my backpacks then i did some more research and came across TENBA bags. this was perfect to fit my 70d, kit lens, charger and sd cards all in a insert that are not packed in but also doesnt have the gear flopping around a big insert. I have the BYOB 9 and it fit my needs perfectly . They have tons of different sizes to accommodate your needs. a bunch of reviews and videos too on youtube. i highly recommend it.

https://www.tenba.com/​collections/tools.aspx (external link)

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by Nethawked.

Feb 23, 2018 01:31 |  #8

While I don't agree that f-stop is all that great for long adventure hikes, you can't beat them for what you want to do. Loka with small or medium ICU seems perfect. Not the cheapest alternative, but you own a Billingham, so... ;-)a

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,083 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 27, 2018 17:05 |  #9

ekinnyc wrote in post #18487724 (external link)
thanks. i should've added that i also have the older LowePro Versapack 200, which is similar to fastpack. i still find the space limiting - it has enough room for small things for a day or a short trip, but still not exactly what i was looking for.

i wound up ordering a padded insert, which should fit my incase backpack very well, and still allow me to have space when i need it: https://www.amazon.com …age_o00_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Go to the LowePro website and use their "bag builder". See https://www.lowepro.co​m/bagfinder (external link). It will give you a good idea of what you want.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2018 09:06 |  #10

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18565618 (external link)
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack sounds like exactly what you need. https://www.peakdesign​.com …t/bags/everyday​-backpack/ (external link)

I second this one, I carry one to and from the office everyday. I have the 30L, and my Fuji system fits fine along with room for planner, laptop, etc.

If that isn't enough room I would look at F-Stop bags, although I consider them more of a "photography" bag they do have options that allow you extra storage room. Peak Design is where I would look first though I'm loving mine so far.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,083 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 19, 2018 05:39 |  #11

Probably too late but the B&H Deal of the Day is a Sachtler Dr. Bag - 3 at $100 off the normal price so $99 net. See
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …htler_sc003_dr_​bag_3.html (external link)

sponsored links

1,785 views & 4 likes for this thread
Looking for a camera bag that isnt a camera bag
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.