Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 15 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji vs Sony vs Olympus

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Feb 23, 2018 09:38 |  #31

OK, the speed booster changes the FL of the lens by 0.71x without changing the diameter of the aperture, so the max f/stop is changed to a larger one in terms of f/number

50mm f/2 (25mm diameter aperture), with speedbooster yields 35.5mm with 25mm diameter aperture or 35.5/25 = f/1.4

Put that on a 4/3 format body and you have the FOV equivalent to using

• 70mm FL on FF body or
  • 44mm FL on APS-C body or
  • 35.5mm on 4/3 body

In terms of DOF, at a shooting distance of 10'
  • 70mm f/2 on FF body sees FOV of 3.4' x 5.1', with 20/20 visual acuity DOF range of 3.1"
  • 35.5mm f/1.4 on 4/3 body sees FOV of 3.4' x 5.1', with 20/20 visual acuity DOF range of 5.35"

• You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
    Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
    Goldmember
    2,315 posts
    Gallery: 257 photos
    Best ofs: 4
    Joined Apr 2014

Feb 23, 2018 17:41 |  #32

Wilt wrote in post #18570402 (external link)

• 44mm FL on APS-C body

There are two different APS-C sensor sizes (that I know of), I mean come on Wilt! :-P

Just *1.4 the focal length and aperture (for DOF) T/he camera will take care of the exposure balance for you.

But yea, mirrorless rock you should totally try one out for a while.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
    Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

JeffreyG
    "my bits and pieces are all hard"
    15,349 posts
    Gallery: 39 photos
    Joined Jan 2007

Feb 23, 2018 18:01 |  #33

sporadic wrote in post #18570318 (external link)
    I had no idea that Canon was making medium format cameras either :) My point being, the norm is what you make it. I stopped thinking about 35mm equivalent conversion factors once I migrated to Fuji. I shoot what's available for the system and all the X glass is designed for the same sensor format. For me, my 35/1.4 is my "standard prime". I try not think about it as a ~50mm equivalent since APS-C is my norm. Just a change in mindset. Much easier to do once you get out of a mixed sensor size family like Canon. Was odd coming from an Elan IIe to a crop DSLR and all my EF glass being tighter, but I've since adjusted.

I just want to point out, this is a really good post. Here is the thing.....the term "full frame" is totally legit and useful within the realm of Canon and Nikon's established lens lines. Both companies have established extensive lens systems designed around the 35mm format. This means that 35mm format is "full frame' for users within these lens systems, and will offer the best possible performance with the lenses that exist in their systems.

Fuji's "full frame" is smaller than 35mm format. This does indeed give up some performance against the best of the best in 35mm format, which in turn gives up some performance against the best of the best in medium format.

But, a lot of people are finding that high end Fuji lenses with high end Fuji bodies are very much good enough for what they are doing. That isn't a huge surprise, resolution (bodies and lenses) have come a long way.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
    I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Wilt
    Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
    40,183 posts
    Gallery: 1 photo
    Joined Aug 2005
    Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 23, 2018 18:07 |  #34

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18570693 (external link)
    There are two different APS-C sensor sizes (that I know of), I mean come on Wilt! :-P

The conversion arithmetic gets tiresome, so I don't bother with precision. The concept of an optic that changes FL (vs. not changing the aperture diameter) is all I was interested in showing, and the very different result in DOF zone depth in spite of the numeric value of the f/stop in spite of equivalent fields of view across multiple format sizes.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
    Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
    Goldmember
    2,315 posts
    Gallery: 257 photos
    Best ofs: 4
    Joined Apr 2014

Feb 23, 2018 18:26 |  #35

JeffreyG wrote in post #18570709 (external link)
    Fuji's "full frame" is smaller than 35mm format. This does indeed give up some performance against the best of the best in 35mm format, which in turn gives up some performance against the best of the best in medium format.

I think these days Fujis 'Full Frame' is a bit fuller than a 35mm format.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
    Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
    (this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,851 views & 15 likes for this thread
    Fuji vs Sony vs Olympus
    FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.