Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAM Question

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,717 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2017 11:02 |  #16

For Lr it can be a real help if you can have the Catalogue and previews on a fast SSD, especially if you also have a high DPI monitor. Lr now defaults "standard" previews to match the width of the monitor. For me with my 5K display that means my previews are 5120 px wide! that is actually greater than 100% for all my cameras, let alone any of my old 300D images that might have been cropped a bit. This can make for larger images to move about, and also means that you can end up using a lot of space too. Although the new compressed lrcat file is down to 5.8 GB from over 20 GB, but with just over 50,000 images my image previews stand at 69.1GB.

Since it is really not good to be almost filling your system drive too full, I have been forced to move my catalogue to my spinning disk for now. The system disk with a formatted 221 GB was down well under 30GB, and it was affecting overall performance. The worst bit was when the last Lr update, which required a catalogue update crashed during that process, because it tried to duplicate my preview files. At one point I thought I had lost the lot, but fortunately it was only a wayward lock file that was stopping both the old and new versions opening the old catalogue, or even the recovered backup.

An additional M2 SSD, along with a PCIE adapter card is now on my christmas list.

Having the CR2s on an internal spinning disk is not really an issue though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
juliusmagno08
20 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 20, 2017 16:27 |  #17

i have 16gb and i feel like it is not fast enough for editing

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2017 16:32 |  #18

There this thread. I just put a list together based on a video and Adobe's recommendations mostly for myself.

First discusses RAM GB. 3 is Drive Space. I know keep my cache folder in the LR folder but still on my HD. All files are on an external drive. There are some things like clearing adjustment history, etc which some questioned but are just suggestions.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1490042

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Pippan
938 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 23, 2017 16:50 |  #19

iAMB wrote in post #18498186 (external link)
Would installing the programs on a SSD also increase their speed, or is that speed only noticeable on startup? I need to give my Mac Pro 5 some new RAM and Harddrives. Essentially start fresh. Sorry to hijack if I did.

I have a 2010 iMac that had a then top of the range spinning hard drive and when the hard drive died I replaced it with an SSD (Crucial M300 I think it was) and upped the RAM from 8 to 20Gb. It runs like lightning now, so much faster than it was even when new. I don't really know though whether the SSD or RAM upgrade made the bulk of the difference but I suspect it's the SSD.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
828 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Angmo. (3 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2017 16:54 |  #20

Let this statement settle the question once and for all.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, 1981

I miss the 8 and 16 bit days where men were men and you wrote you own memory handlers...

——————-cut here————-
Edit - In fairness to uncle Bill, he denies ever saying that.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 23, 2017 17:00 |  #21

Pippan wrote in post #18524924 (external link)
I have a 2010 iMac that had a then top of the range spinning hard drive and when the hard drive died I replaced it with an SSD (Crucial M300 I think it was) and upped the RAM from 8 to 20Gb. It runs like lightning now, so much faster than it was even when new. I don't really know though whether the SSD or RAM upgrade made the bulk of the difference but I suspect it's the SSD.

I am currently running SSD and 16gig of RAM and still see bottle necks, granted I am also running a laptop with external monitor. I have 32gig sitting in my new build pile and am pretty sure I will grab another 32 just for overkill reasons.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
828 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2017 17:06 |  #22

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18524931 (external link)
I am currently running SSD and 16gig of RAM and still see bottle necks, granted I am also running a laptop with external monitor. I have 32gig sitting in my new build pile and am pretty sure I will grab another 32 just for overkill reasons.

Likely the capabilities of the video card on the laptop...?

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 23, 2017 17:17 as a reply to  @ Angmo's post |  #23

Thats what I am thinking as well. The new build will have a 1070 in it.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2017 17:58 |  #24

I went from 8GB to 16 yesterday and things are faster. I opted out of the SSD. 5 years and and it needed a new enclosure and heat sink.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 23, 2017 18:08 |  #25

Yea the new tower will have M.2 drives for OS/Programs and Working Info with trusted 3.5" drives for storage.

sponsored links

1,969 views & 2 likes for this thread
RAM Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.