Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 07:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website for Selling Photos

Flynlow
75 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Nov 17, 2017 07:44 |  #1

I know this has been discussed many times on POTN, but it's been awhile and I'm sure options have changed. I'm an aviation photographer. I love taking the photos, I tolerate editing them, but absolutely hate printing them, framing them, etc.

For now I use Fine Art America. I like the fact I can upload a customer's photos and they can get exactly what they want without going through me. I make money just for doing the shoot, so I'm not trying to gouge the pilots, just give them an option to get what they want without a lot of work from me. This is where FAA excels, but they sell odd sized prints so you're forced to buy their frames. For example, one of my favorite sized prints is 12x18... you can buy a 13.375x20 from FAA. Not good. Also I hate that I can't limit what I sell. I don't want to offer tote bags, bed spreads, shower curtains, etc. Honestly, this is embarrassing.

Is there another website I can use that offers me a store front, where the customer can pick a print, get it framed and shipped to them without input from me? Of course I want great quality prints. Maybe I'm asking too much!

Here is what I have now. Please feel free to buy a throw pillow if you want! ;-)a My Store (external link)

Jack Fleetwood | Hutto, TX | Canon 5D M3 & M4 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS ii | 1946 Cessna 140

sponsored links
Pigpen101
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Nov 17, 2017 11:55 |  #2

I use Smugmug. It's pretty good with "hands off" stuff. There are a couple different labs you can choose when you want to sell your prints. I use Bayphoto, which worked well because I was already using them before my site. You can also set it up so that some type of your "signature" ends up on the prints and they will be sent to whomever ordered them, you don't have to deal with it.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 17, 2017 12:26 |  #3

Zenfolio, but it's not free.

Gear List

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Dec 05, 2017 08:07 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #4

So SmugMug seems to just be for photos. I want the customer to have the ability to order photos, have them framed, etc. It appears Zenfolio allows me to do this. Does it let me choose what to sell? For example, I don't want to sell shower curtains or pillow cases. Can I choose the options I want the customer to see?

Jack Fleetwood | Hutto, TX | Canon 5D M3 & M4 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS ii | 1946 Cessna 140

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,767 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 05, 2017 08:11 |  #5

Pixieset

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Dec 05, 2017 08:26 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #6

Thanks, I will check them out today.

Pigpen101
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 05, 2017 16:37 |  #7

Flynlow wrote in post #18511028 (external link)
So SmugMug seems to just be for photos. I want the customer to have the ability to order photos, have them framed, etc. It appears Zenfolio allows me to do this. Does it let me choose what to sell? For example, I don't want to sell shower curtains or pillow cases. Can I choose the options I want the customer to see?

I have my Smugmug website linked to Bayphoto & people can order whatever Bayphoto offers (including framed prints). You can make adjustments that control what items they can/cannot buy.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2017 17:08 |  #8

Flynlow wrote in post #18511028 (external link)

You can set it up to only sell what items you want to offer.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Dec 05, 2017 20:26 |  #9

Smugmug itself offers the client prints (standard sizes, and their color profiles aren't bad), books, wall art (metal or canvas), "keepsakes" (mugs, mousepads, magnets, stickers, even aprons), and phone cases. Only thing that may be missing is frames: but people are more likely to want to shop for their own frames if hanging a print or two on their wall. I like smugmug because it's easy to customize and make your website it's own style.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Dec 06, 2017 09:46 |  #10

Great info. I've read through their website and wasn't sure. This sounds like everything I need. I simply want the ability to be hands-off after taking the photo. This is not a full-time job for me, so once I've taken the photos, I want them to be able to order anything they want. I frame my own photos for my house, but find a lot of people just want to click on what they want and have it show up.

I actually like the look of Fine Art America's website and what it does. I just don't like the fact that they make me sell things I don't want to offer, and their photo sizes are odd. This makes it really hard for someone to get a print, then go find an off-the-shelf frame.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4526/27097562439_6481e1e136_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4519/27097558109_135e765ee1_b.jpg

conraderb
44 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 06, 2017 09:56 |  #11

Just to add a +1 vote for Smugmug. They have a deep catalog and lots of customizability, including pricing and formats of products (ie. only "classic" formats like 8x10 and 8x12, instead of "digital" formats for weirdly-sized sensors).

sponsored links

1,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website for Selling Photos
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.