Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reducing shine on faces

woodywork
33 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 23, 2017 00:36 |  #1

I'm having a number of problems with shiny hot spots on peoples faces when photographing school formals/proms. The area that I live in can be quite warm and humid and it's becoming very time consuming fixing it up in post. Does anybody have any recommendations in regards to lighting to either prevent or reduce this. please. Currently I'm using umbrellas either side of me at about 45 degrees to the subject but have thought about using a pair of softboxes and feathering them, any thoughts ?

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,736 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by Nogo. (2 edits in all)

Nov 23, 2017 00:46 |  #2

Don't forget the other side of the problem. You can carry a pack of blotting paper especially for the guys. For the women, suggest they touch up the powder right before you take their photos. Fixing the source of the problem can be easier than trying to fix the lighting or fixing it in post sometimes.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

woodywork
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 23, 2017 01:26 |  #3

Thanks Nogo, the problem is time. There is normally 80-120 kids with partners and parents and an hour to capture it all. Not ideal.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,736 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by Nogo.

Nov 23, 2017 08:35 |  #4

30 seconds per student to set up, take 3 or 4 photographs and get them to get out of the way for the next couple? That sounds like an absolute nightmare. Without a crew helping out, the clients should not expect much.

I won't advise you on lighting, others are more qualified. Personally I would try two large diffused modifiers at 45 like you are doing with the umbrellas just make sure to get them up high. But, I don't know if it would help your problem at all so I will let someone with more experience help you there.

I would still add an assistant to blot the guys. Even if it was just one of the crowd who was willing to jump in and help it would be worth doing.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

PhotosGuy
75,341 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 23, 2017 09:42 |  #5

woodywork wrote in post #18502473 (external link)
Thanks Nogo, the problem is time. There is normally 80-120 kids with partners and parents and an hour to capture it all. Not ideal.

Phillip gave you the best solution. Don't ignore it. Find someone, maybe two or three 'someones', to work with the parents & students that are waiting so that you don't have to do it.
Maybe put a lighted mirror near the end of the line. Maybe add a fan to move the air.
Blotting paper is OK. DO NOT supply powder & applicators because of cross contamination.

120 kids in an hour.

The concept, "Chinese Fire Drill" (external link) comes to mind! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 17, 2017 11:58 |  #6

I would agree with Nogo...having an assistant helping to prep the "next ups" can help tremendously and will generally speed up the work flow. As far as reducing shine, the only sure fire way I've discovered is to either get rid of the sweat and oil before a photo or spend time in PP afterwards. IME, lighting styles can help somewhat but usually will not eliminate the problem.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 17, 2017 12:16 |  #7

Heya,

How big is your modifier and far is it away from the subject(s)?

Spectral highlights are made worse with oil or wet skin. So having something for them to pat their nose/cheeks/forehead will help.

Otherwise, I'm going to assume the size of your umbrellas are small relative to their distance to subject. If the modifier size is larger, or at least larger relative to the subject (closer), the spectral highlights will be reduced or eliminated. A small 33" umbrella that is 12 feet away for example will not be soft. But a 60" at 3 feet will be pretty soft. And a 7' will be very soft up close (and you can stand in front of it even!).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

BryanIS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by BryanIS.

Feb 04, 2018 19:32 |  #8

If preventing it is absolutely not a possibility the fastest way ive found in post is create a darken layer. Use a soft 100% opacity brush at a low flow (5-10%) sample the skin color near the shine and paint over it. Reduce the opacity to suit your taste.

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 05, 2018 09:44 |  #9

The cheapest and easiest is probably to try a polarizing lens filter. Google images "polarizer portrait". You can see that it reduces the shine a lot. Practice before the event so you have it setup right.

Some examples:
https://www.popphoto.c​om …-Factor.jpg?itok=ptchMX​dd (external link)
https://1.img-dpreview.com …3860d499d83f432​691111e294 (external link)

woodywork
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 06, 2018 06:19 |  #10

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm intrigued by the polarizing filter though, DesolateMirror. Looking forward to give it a try.

Gungnir
680 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 06, 2018 04:01 as a reply to  @ woodywork's post |  #11

Polariser tends to make people look lifeless in portraits. Don't just lose the highlights you want to, even set for minimal effect you lose the subtle highlights which make a person look alive.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

sponsored links

3,101 views & 7 likes for this thread
Reducing shine on faces
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.