Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Nov 2017 (Friday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old Truck

Kristine2514
131 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2017 17:11 |  #1

We went to Idaho for our yearly trip, visiting family and this old truck caught my eye. So this is my before and after. I like this photo because it brings back a lot of memories of living there when I was young. The truck was parked behind the Elk Tavern, which I snuck into with my friends when we were teenagers. Ahh, the good ol' carefree days! This is a farming area and this truck reminded me of seeing all the grain trucks coming and going to town during harvest season. The stormy sky reminds me of sitting on our farm porch in the summer watching the storms roll in. I loved the smell of the fields when the storms came. I was trying to make the photo "punchy" and a tiny bit grungy. Also, playing around with PSE tools, removing unwanted things and adding back in more of a natural background. Did this mainly with my trusty clone stamp tool. Thoughts on the finished edit and if you think I accomplished what I was going for would be appreciated. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

EOS 30D

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,353 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 24, 2017 17:53 |  #2

Kristine2514 wrote in post #18503444 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Kristine2514 in
./showthread.php?p=185​03444&i=i228475933
forum: Critique Corner

It's a bit too "punchy" for me, but still looks OK. Nice work with the "trusty clone stamp tool!"

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017
Post edited 8 months ago by Kristine2514.

Nov 24, 2017 18:27 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Ok thank you for your comments. So just pull back on the saturation and contrast a bit to tone it down?

EOS 30D

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 24, 2017 20:20 |  #4

Woah pull back on the saturation and contrast and whatever else a ton! Decent work with clone stamp but I can tell where the grass sections were duplicated. You've gone from punch to totally unrealistic. It's an interesting subject though. Perhaps get close for some detail shots.

Gear List

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2017 20:52 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #5

Ya I want to keep the sky and trees the way they are and pull back on the rest. I think that would look better. I just have to remember what I did to get it this way to start with.

EOS 30D

PhotosGuy
75,353 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 24, 2017 21:22 |  #6

Kristine2514 wrote in post #18503542 (external link)
Ya I want to keep the sky and trees the way they are and pull back on the rest. I think that would look better. I just have to remember what I did to get it this way to start with.

Only if that's what you want. I'm not sure a 'normal' image of that junk truck would be an improvement.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2017 21:36 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

See that's what I thought to start with. I played with it in PSE and pulled back on contrast and saturation some with the wall and truck and left everything else as is. When I took the photo I had it in my mind that I would make it pop. As you said, a normal photo isn't much of anything. I think a bit of an unrealistic look with something like this is kind of neat looking. The new edit I did though, toned down a bit, I'm liking better.

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 25, 2017 00:28 |  #8

Not a huge difference but I like it just a bit more mellow

HOSTED PHOTO

EOS 30D

Columbia
41 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 25, 2017 02:52 |  #9

Some people like that look for rustic vehicles. I'm personally not a huge fan of it, but it can work in some images if concentrating on details where there arent any external reference besides the vehicle.

When there is content in an image besides the subject that we inherently know the colour of, like sky or grass, it can sometimes be off putting to see it other than what we are used to. Some people call that look "baked".

My personal edit for this truck would be:
- decrease the highlights
- lighten the shadows
- increase contrast (~30) to bring back details
- darken (-~20) the blacks channel to make colours pop without it increasing saturation.
- increase whites until right before clipping.
- slight vibrance increase to bring out truck colours and the blue sky.
- very slight increase in clarity for microcontrast and sharpness. Will help with truck paint details.

The cloning is a good start. Kind of a bummer with the background you had to work with. The angle the truck is at is great! Getting lower and shooting up towards the truck would have helped eliminate some of the background and given you more sky to work with.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 25, 2017 13:10 as a reply to  @ Columbia's post |  #10

Thank you. I'm going to try your suggestions and see what the outcome will be ߘ

EOS 30D

Jethr0
954 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 25, 2017 13:26 |  #11

If you like it, leave it.

To each his/her own.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 25, 2017 14:10 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #12

No...I like it and I printed this one and put it in my album. I just like playing and learning in PSE.

EOS 30D

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,900 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 29, 2017 15:11 |  #13

I would love to write a pretty long review, but it's too damn hard to type while your eyes are bleeding. In short - usually, and this is not an exception, over the top edits like this are born if the photo itself is not interesting enough.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Columbia
41 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 29, 2017 16:18 |  #14

olafs osh wrote in post #18506856 (external link)
over the top edits like this are born if the photo itself is not interesting enough.

That's a good way of putting it.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2017 16:57 as a reply to  @ Columbia's post |  #15

I think the original shot gives you a lot of challenges to overcome. The main background, the brick wall, is pretty ugly and very close to the subject. The remaining background is very distracting as well ... and with the lens that is on your camera there is not much you might do to de-emphasise it in taking the shot ... so I can see why you decided to photoshop it out of the image in post.

I just wonder whether there might have been a better angle on this shot, perhaps from a low camera position in front of the truck and close to the wall, that would have given a better basic image. You would not have had the whole truck in-frame but you would have had a clean background and possibly a very nice shot of the front of the vehicle (even if it was mainly the hood and the grill).

Edit: By way of an aside, I think using a polarising filter could have been helpful for this shot ... it would have killed all those windscreen and side-window reflections.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

1,545 views & 3 likes for this thread
Old Truck
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.