Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 30 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon MT-26EX-RT with images

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Dalantech.

Nov 30, 2017 10:59 |  #1

First a cut and paste of an earlier post:

Just received my copy of the MT-26EX-RT. The flash heads look to be the same size as the MT-24EX, but the flash tube and the reflector look bigger -I'll check later when I get home. The controller is really small! In the past I looked for a compact flash to take with me when I don't want to carry a lot of gear, but now I don't think I'll need to. The MT-26EX's controller looks like it's about half the volume of the one on the MT-24. Now to build a diffuser for it. The Cannon supplied diffuser (looks like a Sto-Fen on steroids) are included inside the pouch that the flash comes in and there are storage pockets for them as well as the lens flash mount. One word of caution concerning the storage pouch: It closes with a small piece of Velcro, and the carrying handle is at the top on the other end of the opening. So be sure to secure the Velcro or you'll dump the flash onto the floor. The construction quality of the MT-26 seems very high, but not so much the pouch.

The included diffuser is very solid, and the clips that attach it to the flash heads are really large -seems really solid. The diffuser is very opaque, and the plastic is pretty thick (easily a full millimeter). More of a hard plastic, unlike the old Sto-Fens for the MT-24. Gonna be easy to build a diffuser that attaches to it, and attach it to the flash heads with just the clips. For all of the photos included with this post the MT-24 is on the left and the MT-26 is on the right.

Here's a shot of the controller. The MT-26 is a little bit thicker, but not by much.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/uoZM1u6l.jpg

Here's a shot of the flash heads. Very little difference in size with the MT-26's being marginally larger:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/lcqUpzll.jpg

Last is a shot of the front of the flash heads. The area of the flash is a little larger on the MT-26:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/z5M1O8Zl.jpg

The light from the MT-26 is still going to be brutally harsh out of the box, even with the included diffusers. I took a life size shot of a toy car with the Canon 35mm macro, working distance about two inches (5 CM), and the specular highlights were almost completely blown out even at -1 FEC and there was a sharp transition between the specular and non specular areas of the image (poor diffusion). Also I had to upgrade the firmware in my 80D to 1.02 before I could control the MT-26's settings from the camera's menu. Once I did I could set everything on the flash, including the custom functions. Overall very happy with the size, weight, and balance compared to the MT-24. I just need to work up a diffuser set for it.

Edit #1: Knew I'd forget something: The LED focusing lamps on the MT-26's flash heads are going to be a game changer for some users -they're VERY BRIGHT!

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links
orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,054 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2017 22:55 |  #2

Cool. Finally some side-by-side comparison pics of the 24 and 26!

How much brighter is the focusing light? Maybe another side by side shot? :D

I will wait for a YN26 :D

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 4, 2018; Jan 20, June 23, Nov 17, 2019
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 01, 2017 03:11 |  #3

orionmystery wrote in post #18507938 (external link)
...How much brighter is the focusing light? Maybe another side by side shot? :D

Might be difficult to capture the difference, but it's at least 2x brighter if not more.

My Blog (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,167 posts
Gallery: 2712 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 03, 2017 08:25 |  #4

Dalantech wrote in post #18507457 (external link)
First a cut and paste of an earlier post:

Just received my copy of the MT-26EX-RT. The flash heads look to be the same size as the MT-24EX, but the flash tube and the reflector look bigger -I'll check later when I get home. The controller is really small! In the past I looked for a compact flash to take with me when I don't want to carry a lot of gear, but now I don't think I'll need to. The MT-26EX's controller looks like it's about half the volume of the one on the MT-24. Now to build a diffuser for it. The Cannon supplied diffuser (looks like a Sto-Fen on steroids) are included inside the pouch that the flash comes in and there are storage pockets for them as well as the lens flash mount. One word of caution concerning the storage pouch: It closes with a small piece of Velcro, and the carrying handle is at the top on the other end of the opening. So be sure to secure the Velcro or you'll dump the flash onto the floor. The construction quality of the MT-26 seems very high, but not so much the pouch.

The included diffuser is very solid, and the clips that attach it to the flash heads are really large -seems really solid. The diffuser is very opaque, and the plastic is pretty thick (easily a full millimeter). More of a hard plastic, unlike the old Sto-Fens for the MT-24. Gonna be easy to build a diffuser that attaches to it, and attach it to the flash heads with just the clips. For all of the photos included with this post the MT-24 is on the left and the MT-26 is on the right.

Here's a shot of the controller. The MT-26 is a little bit thicker, but not by much.

QUOTED IMAGE

Here's a shot of the flash heads. Very little difference in size with the MT-26's being marginally larger:

QUOTED IMAGE

Last is a shot of the front of the flash heads. The area of the flash is a little larger on the MT-26:

QUOTED IMAGE

The light from the MT-26 is still going to be brutally harsh out of the box, even with the included diffusers. I took a life size shot of a toy car with the Canon 35mm macro, working distance about two inches (5 CM), and the specular highlights were almost completely blown out even at -1 FEC and there was a sharp transition between the specular and non specular areas of the image (poor diffusion). Also I had to upgrade the firmware in my 80D to 1.02 before I could control the MT-26's settings from the camera's menu. Once I did I could set everything on the flash, including the custom functions. Overall very happy with the size, weight, and balance compared to the MT-24. I just need to work up a diffuser set for it.

Edit #1: Knew I'd forget something: The LED focusing lamps on the MT-26's flash heads are going to be a game changer for some users -they're VERY BRIGHT!

The LED lamps brightness is good news, what's the field of illumination like?
I often used to find the 24's lamps only really illuminated the subject distance was zoned in.

John, don't worry if you don't know (I could always read the manual if I can make time); Looking at 26's nicely smaller back panel, the control set also seems smaller or is that an illusion. How is it (how many button presses compared to the 24) for common operations like:

a) Setting Manual/E-TTL mode
b) Output power in manual
c) Lamp ration in Manual and E-TTL.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 03, 2017 15:17 |  #5

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18509425 (external link)
I often used to find the 24's lamps only really illuminated the subject distance was zoned in.

John, don't worry if you don't know (I could always read the manual if I can make time); Looking at 26's nicely smaller back panel, the control set also seems smaller or is that an illusion. How is it (how many button presses compared to the 24) for common operations like:

The lamps seem to illuminate the entire area when I'm using the EF-S 60mm or the MPE-65mm at 1x (both have pretty much the same working distance). Even after building a diffuser for the MT-26 that the focusing lamps have to shine through I still have plenty of light to focus.

Honestly Lester it's easier just to put flash operation in the quick menu on your camera and control everything from there. In my limited use of the actual flash controls it didn't seem that difficult or cumbersome, but as soon as I flashed new firmware on my 80D and gained control of of the flash from the camera I just set everything from the 80D's LCD. One thing to mention is that the MT-26 can be set manually in 1/3 stop increments. The MT-24 could only be set in full stops.

My Blog (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,167 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 04, 2017 00:44 |  #6

Dalantech wrote in post #18509752 (external link)
The lamps seem to illuminate the entire area when I'm using the EF-S 60mm or the MPE-65mm at 1x (both have pretty much the same working distance). Even after building a diffuser for the MT-26 that the focusing lamps have to shine through I still have plenty of light to focus.

Honestly Lester it's easier just to put flash operation in the quick menu on your camera and control everything from there. In my limited use of the actual flash controls it didn't seem that difficult or cumbersome, but as soon as I flashed new firmware on my 80D and gained control of of the flash from the camera I just set everything from the 80D's LCD. One thing to mention is that the MT-26 can be set manually in 1/3 stop increments. The MT-24 could only be set in full stops.

Thanks for the reply John. The illumination coverage issue for me sets in around 2:1 to 3:1 but if one were to difuse the lamps also that is probably a non-issue. The old lamps just did not have enough light for diffusion.

I always forget about the internal camera menu, always seemed more fiddly for anything other than studio use, and is of course body dependent. Possibly just that I got into a way of working when this option did not exist with the 20D. I'll take a look at my various bodies menus.

Gear List

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 04, 2017 01:57 |  #7

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18510058 (external link)
...The illumination coverage issue for me sets in around 2:1 to 3:1...

Now I get what you mean -you're wondering about the angle of those lamps at higher mag. I'll test it out with the MP-E tonight and get back to you, although I was shooting at 2x last night and the frame illumination was fine (but I'll take it all the way to 5x). Firing them through the diffuser does help with the converage. Also note that you can control the brightness of the focusing lamp via a custom function. I don't have mine turned all the way up and I'm impressed with the brightness.

The buttons under the LCD are multi-function, with their current function displayed on the LCD. Here's the instruction manual (external link).

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 04, 2017 11:36 |  #8

With the MT-24, and the MP-E 65mm at 4x and higher, the focusing lamps seemed to be illuminating behind the subject. With the MT-26, even at 5x, I'm getting a lot of light in the frame from the focusing lamps. I did design my new diffusers so that the flash heads could be angled all the way down, and that might help some. But I'm pretty sure that the MT-26 focusing lamps are at a better angle to the subject than the MT-24's were.

Setting all of those functions from the MT-26's LCD is really easy Lester. Faster than changing those same settings on the MT-24. Looks like Canon took the common tasks and made them easier to get to and change.

My Blog (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,167 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Lester Wareham.

Dec 06, 2017 07:07 |  #9

Thanks for the info John.

Just glanced at the manual, the charge indicator looks handy.

Gear List

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 07, 2017 06:58 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #10

All things considered the MT-26EX-RT is a really good upgrade from the MT-24EX.

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 15, 2018 13:50 |  #11

Just FYI: There is about a one stop difference between the MT-24EX and the MT-26EX-RT. Shooting my test target (a hot wheels car) at 1x, F11, and ISO 100 the MT-24EX correctly exposes the scene at 1/64 power, and the MT-26EX-RT exposes the same scene at almost 1/128 power. So the MT-26 has a little more "stopping power" (a little easier to freeze motion).

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

6,537 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon MT-26EX-RT with images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.