Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 21, 2017 13:30 |  #136

I Simonius wrote in post #18523425 (external link)
my problem is I still think in Film

:eek::rolleyes::mrgreen:

As I said on page three or something of the thread, if it helps, think of different sensors as different film stocks. You wouldn't process two different films the same way. Sensors and digital post-processing is the same.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links
I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,493 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Dec 21, 2017 13:52 |  #137

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523432 (external link)
As I said on page three or something of the thread, if it helps, think of different sensors as different film stocks. You wouldn't process two different films the same way. Sensors and digital post-processing is the same.

By George I think he's got it!

:)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 21, 2017 16:47 |  #138

I Simonius wrote in post #18523425 (external link)
my problem is I still think in Film

:eek::rolleyes::mrgreen:

Your computer must smell of vinegar by now.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Osa713
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 21, 2017 17:50 |  #139

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523432 (external link)

bw!

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Owain ­ Shaw
2,012 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by Owain Shaw. (2 edits in all)

Dec 22, 2017 04:24 |  #140

I Simonius wrote in post #18523456 (external link)
By George I think he's got it!

:)

Yay! Do I win a prize?

Osa713 wrote in post #18523638 (external link)
bw!

Yay! I do win a prize.

Elaborating further on the comparison. The reason why sometimes we struggle to adjust to different digital cameras and how their images look in or after post-processing is the same reason that drove film photographers to buy up batches of their favourite film stock when it was going out of production - or previously before large projects when they wanted to achieve a consistent look. They liked how it shot, how it looked, how it rendered. They were comfortable with it and its processes and didn't want to change. Shoot for a long time with one particular type of digital sensor and the same thing will happen. Some people like to keep all their lenses within the same family for that same reason - consistency in lens materials and coatings to keep their colours and contrast the way they like them. Introduce a Sigma Art lens into an L shooter's bag and it's not that the lens is any better or worse but it might well be different to what they are used to and the results may not satisfy them. These are objective differences, they do exist, but they are subjective preferences. I think that is the other root cause of the discussion we've been having in this thread.

I'm going to stop now. I'm worried about ruining my book worthiness. #notworthy

Happy Holidays to one and all. May we all shoot happily.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 23, 2017 14:41 |  #141

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18523603 (external link)
Your computer must smell of vinegar by now.

Do you mean I eat chips off it??

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 23, 2017 14:43 |  #142

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523879 (external link)
Yay! Do I win a prize?

Yay! I do win a prize.

Elaborating further on the comparison. The reason why sometimes we struggle to adjust to different digital cameras and how their images look in or after post-processing is the same reason that drove film photographers to buy up batches of their favourite film stock when it was going out of production - or previously before large projects when they wanted to achieve a consistent look. They liked how it shot, how it looked, how it rendered. They were comfortable with it and its processes and didn't want to change. Shoot for a long time with one particular type of digital sensor and the same thing will happen. Some people like to keep all their lenses within the same family for that same reason - consistency in lens materials and coatings to keep their colours and contrast the way they like them. Introduce a Sigma Art lens into an L shooter's bag and it's not that the lens is any better or worse but it might well be different to what they are used to and the results may not satisfy them. These are objective differences, they do exist, but they are subjective preferences. I think that is the other root cause of the discussion we've been having in this thread.

I'm going to stop now. I'm worried about ruining my book worthiness. #notworthy

Happy Holidays to one and all. May we all shoot happily.

True. I bought a lot of Kodachrome 25 and agfapan 25 at one point ...but they ran out of course

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 23, 2017 18:12 as a reply to  @ I Simonius's post |  #143

Nope, that familiar smell of fixer in the darkroom, a bit like vinegar.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,445 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2017 20:46 |  #144

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18524985 (external link)

When I was a young kid I played with b/w darkroom processing. As a kid I did some dodge/burn and simple fun artsy stuff.

I remember that chemical vinegar smell vividly :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 24, 2017 06:03 |  #145

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18524985 (external link)

aha! I remember the fixer smell as if it was still up my nose today , but I had never thought of it as vinegar, it's certainly not something I'd want on my chips!!

LOL

Owain ­ Shaw
2,012 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 26, 2017 05:35 |  #146

I didn't inhale.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 26, 2017 07:28 |  #147

I Simonius wrote in post #18525240 (external link)
aha! I remember the fixer smell as if it was still up my nose today , but I had never thought of it as vinegar, it's certainly not something I'd want on my chips!!

LOL

Yes you are right, stop bath was the vinegar smell & fixer was the unforgettable linger, perhaps my mind blocked that out for a while but it's back now. Deep breaths.

Oeijur
71 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 12, 2018 15:31 |  #148

Saw this thread trying to research about the new Canon M50 coming out next month.
I was in similar spot to the OP - was planning on switching to Fuji Mirrorless (either X-t20, X-t2, or X-h1), but then the Canon M50 came out.
The main reason I didn't jump on the M5 or M6 is the lack of 4K video shooting (which I don't use regularly, but it's nice to have available).
Now that the M50 has 4K, I'm considering staying with Canon.

My main reason for switching to mirrorless is the weight/size factor. I'm switching from a 40D and M3 (I they're old, so it's time for an upgrade).

It seems like the Fuji lens selection is way better than the Canon M lens selection. However I have an adaptor, so can use EF/EF-S lenses, but those lenses are big
and would defeat the purpose of going mirrorless for me.

A colleague of mine switched to Fuji a few years ago and gushes over how great the sensor and his images are. I'm not sure how much better the sensor is vs. the canon M50 sensor.

Fuji: Pros - good lens selection for mirroless.
Cons: Cost - I'd have to change systems and buy a bunch of new lenses. So it'd cost several thousand dollars
AF speed - I've read that the Fuji AF in low light is not up to par vs. canon.

Canon: Pros - cost savings
Cons: poor mirrorless lens selection

Any thoughts and opinions on the differences in capabilities between these cameras would be appreciated.

PS: I mainly shoot landscapes and family photos, although low light capability does come into play for shooting children's events like indoor performances/plays.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,373 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 4 months ago by rantercsr. (2 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2018 15:52 |  #149

Oeijur wrote in post #18583826 (external link)
Saw this thread trying to research about the new Canon M50 coming out next month.
I was in similar spot to the OP - was planning on switching to Fuji Mirrorless (either X-t20, X-t2, or X-h1), but then the Canon M50 came out.
The main reason I didn't jump on the M5 or M6 is the lack of 4K video shooting (which I don't use regularly, but it's nice to have available).

My main reason for switching to mirrorless is the weight/size factor. I'm switching from a 40D and M3 (I they're old, so it's time for an upgrade).

It seems like the Fuji lens selection is way better than the Canon M lens selection. However I have an adaptor, so can use EF/EF-S lenses, but those lenses are big

A colleague of mine switched to Fuji a few years ago and gushes over how great the sensor and his images are. I'm not sure how much better the sensor is vs. the canon M50 sensor.

Cons: Cost - I'd have to change systems and buy a bunch of new lenses. So it'd cost several thousand dollars

Any thoughts and opinions on the differences in capabilities between these cameras would be appreciated.

PS: I mainly shoot landscapes and family photos, although low light capability does come into play for shooting children's events like indoor performances/plays.

You say 4K video was a factor so be aware that the new canons 4K video has a crop on it.. an additional 1.7 crop. Going to be very diffuclt to get wide ..

Fuji also has a crop in 4k.. but of only 1.17 if i recall correctly

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by EverydayGetaway.

Mar 12, 2018 16:46 |  #150

Oeijur wrote in post #18583826 (external link)

Not sure where you read that Canon's mirrorless AF is better, from everything I've seen it's sort of a toss up (though the Canon's is better for video since it's smoother to transition).

There are also now adapters on the market which will give full AF support with Canon lenses on a Fuji body, that could help ease your transition. You can also find great deals on used lenses if you look around (I haven't paid more than $300 for any of my lenses).

As noted above, the M50 4K is pretty limited, imo Fuji and Sony have implemented it much better. Less crop on the Fuji and you get great in camera color profiles.

Also note that you basically get the same performance whether you go with an X-T20 for $800 or an X-T2 for $1600, they use the same AF systems and sensors, Fuji is awesome about keeping all their models up to date with strong firmware support to speed up the cameras as they age and newer tech comes out. The things you get for the extra cash are things like weather sealing, bigger and faster refresh EVF, more mechanical controls, dual memory card slots, etc.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

9,771 views & 120 likes for this thread
Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.