Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Dec 2017 (Friday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 09, 2017 11:05 as a reply to  @ post 18514065 |  #16

Is that PS CS4 that you're using? It could be that since it's an old program, it's not going to be optimized for new hardware and Win 10. Maybe even trying little things like running as admin and set the program's compatibility settings to a previous version of Windows (you can find this tab by right clicking on Photoshop.exe and selecting properties/compatibili​ty). Try different suggestions for speeding up PS first. If that isn't working, then let me know and I can try troubleshooting your system CPU settings.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,233 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt.

Dec 09, 2017 11:07 |  #17

per Adobe:

"Photoshop provides a set of preferences (Preferences > Performance) to help you make optimum use of your computer's resources, such as memory, cache, graphics processor, displays, etc. Depending on your primary use case for using Photoshop and the types of documents you generally work with, different combinations of these settings may suit you. Additional settings such as Scratch Disks, available on other tabs of the Preferences dialog, may also directly impact your computer's running speed and stability."

Unfortunately Adobe gives little to no insight about a computer processor selection criteria! And there are few/no articles from independents on this aspect of performance, either. Only some generalized suggestions...

"Optimize your hardware setup for Photoshop

"If you’re interested in modifying your current hardware setup (or perhaps if you’re buying a new system), use the following information to optimize it for Photoshop.

Use a fast processor
The speed of the computer’s central processing unit, or CPU, limits the processing speed of Photoshop. Photoshop requires a multicore Intel processor (Mac OS) or a 2 GHz or faster processor (Windows).

Photoshop generally runs faster with more processor cores, although some features take greater advantage of the additional cores than others. However, you’ll get diminishing returns with multiple processor cores: The more cores you use, the less you get from each additional core. Therefore, Photoshop doesn’t run four times as fast on a computer with 16 processor cores as on a computer with four cores. For most users, the increase in performance that more than six cores provides doesn’t justify the increased cost.

Note:

If you are running Photoshop in a virtual environment, Photoshop's GPU use can cause performance issues. Virtual machines cannot access the GPU.

Add RAM
Photoshop uses random access memory (RAM) to process images. If Photoshop has insufficient memory, it uses hard-disk space, also known as a scratch disk, to process information. Accessing information in memory is faster than accessing information on a hard disk. Therefore, Photoshop is fastest when it can process all or most image information in RAM.

For the latest version of Photoshop, at least 8 GB of RAM is recommended.

For instructions on how you can specify how much RAM to allocate to Photoshop, see Adjust memory usage.

Use a fast, large hard disk
Photoshop reads and writes image information to disk when your system doesn’t have enough RAM to contain all of it. The Efficiency indicator can help you determine whether getting a faster hard disk or solid-state disk would improve your performance. If the efficiency number is usually above 95%, spending money on a faster scratch disk has little benefit.

To improve Photoshop performance, use a disk with a fast data transfer rate. For example, use an internal hard disk or an external disk connected via a fast interface such as Thunderbolt, FireWire 800, eSATA, or USB3. Network servers (hard disk accessed over a network) have slower data transfer rates.

The latest version of Photoshop requires at least 2.5 GB (Windows) or 3.2 GB (Mac OS). Installation requires additional space, and Adobe recommends more hard-disk space for virtual memory and scratch disk space.

Fast RAID 0 arrays make excellent scratch disks, especially if you use the array exclusively for your scratch disk. Also make sure that you defragment the array regularly, and don’t use it as your startup volume.

Use a solid-state disk
To gain the greatest benefit from an SSD, use it as the scratch disk. Using it as a scratch disk gives you significant performance improvements if you have images that don’t fit entirely in RAM. For example, swapping tiles between RAM and an SSD is much faster than swapping between RAM and a hard disk.

If your SSD doesn’t have much free space (the scratch file grows bigger than can fit on the SSD), add a secondary or tertiary hard disk. (Add it after the SSD.) Make sure that these disks are selected as scratch disks in the Performance preferences.

Also, SSDs vary widely in performance, much more so than hard disks. Using an earlier, slower drive results in little improvement over a hard disk.

Note:

Adding RAM to improve performance is more cost effective than purchasing an SSD.

If the Efficiency indicator is already high, an SSD doesn’t improve performance. The lower the Efficiency indicator, the greater the improvement an SSD offers.

For more information on performance and 64-bit Photoshop, see 64-bit OS benefits, limitations."

Here are some tips about optimization of settings for Photoshop https://www.smashingma​gazine.com …er-photoshop-performance/ (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 09, 2017 11:49 |  #18

davesrose wrote in post #18514075 (external link)
Is that PS CS4 that you're using? It could be that since it's an old program, it's not going to be optimized for new hardware and Win 10. Maybe even trying little things like running as admin and set the program's compatibility settings to a previous version of Windows (you can find this tab by right clicking on Photoshop.exe and selecting properties/compatibili​ty). Try different suggestions for speeding up PS first. If that isn't working, then let me know and I can try troubleshooting your system CPU settings.

Great suggestions, I haven't thought about the PS version and its compatibility with the Win 10. Yes, it's PS CS4. Thanks.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 09, 2017 11:53 |  #19

Thanks, Wilt. Very helpful, and I'll read that link you provided.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 15, 2017 10:00 |  #20

I was in John Lewis (Big UK store) and they have a Dell XPS 13 i7 with 256GB SSD and it's own integrated graphics. It's not in stock with the spec I was looking at, but so tempted. You can return the laptop to them within 28 days if it's still in sell able condition. I'm tempted when it comes back in stock, but is it even worth it with only 8GB? I just don't know... Arrrgh!

View mein website:

www.rodlewisphotograph​y.co.uk (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 15, 2017 11:50 |  #21

Rodreguez wrote in post #18518471 (external link)
I was in John Lewis (Big UK store) and they have a Dell XPS 13 i7 with 256GB SSD and it's own integrated graphics. It's not in stock with the spec I was looking at, but so tempted. You can return the laptop to them within 28 days if it's still in sell able condition. I'm tempted when it comes back in stock, but is it even worth it with only 8GB? I just don't know... Arrrgh!

I wouldn't. My XPS 13 with better specs struggles with simple PS editing tasks.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 15, 2017 11:53 |  #22

SYS wrote in post #18518583 (external link)
I wouldn't. My XPS 13 with better specs struggles with simple PS editing tasks.

Ok cool that's enough for me to give that one a miss.

View mein website:

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by Rodreguez.

Dec 15, 2017 11:59 |  #23

Think I might have to close the (ultra) book on this one. It doesn't look like I'm going to get a 13" screen without any bezel and the spec I want for less that £2k at this point in time. Bubble wrap for the 17" HP incase I have to put it in the hold luggage. Extra insurance. Ugh.

View mein website:

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 15, 2017 11:59 |  #24

If you can move up to 15" laptop, you'll have greater options with the specs that can handle PS and LR and video editing. In my case, I've decided to just get by with my XPS 13 for the next few years. By then, I'm sure tech has improved enough that 13" laptops can be much more powerful than they're currently.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

davesrose
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 15, 2017 12:04 |  #25

Well it's hard to compare specs if we don't know what i7 processor is included! Also, SYS, as previously mentioned, your older copy of CS4 may not be optimized with Windows 10 (IE turboboost may not being utilized).

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 15, 2017 12:07 |  #26

SYS wrote in post #18518593 (external link)
If you can move up to 15" laptop, you'll have greater options with the specs that can handle PS and LR and video editing. In my case, I've decided to just get by with my XPS 13 for the next few years. By then, I'm sure tech has improved enough that 13" laptops can be much more powerful than they're currently.

Yeah, I think it's just not worth my while unless the laptop is substantially smaller with zero bezel. I dunno. Maybe an XPS 15 would be the same width as most 13" ultrabooks. I think I'll wait though.

View mein website:

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 7 months ago by SYS.

Dec 16, 2017 13:00 |  #27

davesrose wrote in post #18518600 (external link)
Well it's hard to compare specs if we don't know what i7 processor is included! Also, SYS, as previously mentioned, your older copy of CS4 may not be optimized with Windows 10 (IE turboboost may not being utilized).

Finally got around to try your suggestions. First, the compatibility test that I ran gave me Windows Vista option, so I gave that a try. Didn't help with the lag issues. Then, I set "Run as Administrator," and voila! No lag!

Have no clue why running PS as "Administrator" helped get rid of the lag issue. I wouldn't mind an explanation for this just to fulfill my curiosity. Did it somehow boost the processor speed? I think my XPS 13 with 8th Gen i7 is SET at its low speed and I didn't want to mess with it using the program that you've mentioned as I'd like to keep its wonderful battery performance (am getting like 9-11 hours!) and without heating it up. If simply running PS as administrator solved the problem, why go there, right?

Thank you davesrose!

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

davesrose
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2017 13:11 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #28

Glad it worked for you! As to why running as admin improves performance: it can allow PS to utilize more resources. Especially an older program may not be seen as a certified software: and Windows won't give it full resources. Yeah, if things are working for you, don't try TS Obsidian. It can tell you if turboboost has been disabled, but to adjust settings you have to know what you're doing. You can overheat your processor.

smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2017 09:51 |  #29

I'm back and this time it's for real.

The XPS 13 9360 should be fine, no? 16GB, 8th Gen i7, 512GB SSD?

http://pilot.search.de​ll.com/xps%2013 (external link)

View mein website:

davesrose
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 19, 2017 10:28 |  #30

I'd be concerned with that processor: it's 1.3GHZ base speed, dual core and scores very low in the performance charts:

Intel Core i7-7Y75 @ 1.30GHz (external link)

If you are looking for a 2-in-1, HP offers a better i7 processor option for their 13" Spectre

Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz (external link)

Configure your HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 13t touch (external link)

I have a Lenovo 15" 2-in-1 Yoga. Looking at their 13" 2-in-1, I see that it also uses the same processor option as the HP:

Lenovo Yoga 720 (13") (external link)

smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

3,044 views & 23 likes for this thread
Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.