Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Dec 2017 (Friday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,973 posts
Gallery: 259 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 9 months ago by Archibald. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 10:30 |  #31

Rodreguez wrote in post #18521652 (external link)
I'm back and this time it's for real.

The XPS 13 9360 should be fine, no? 16GB, 8th Gen i7, 512GB SSD?

http://pilot.search.de​ll.com/xps%2013 (external link)

I have a couple-year-old XPS 13 with an i5 and it works great. OK, it is a bit slow, but it is adequate for what I do when I am travelling. So your XPS can only be better.

My XPS has a 256 GB SSD and I have never filled it. It is just my travel computer, though.

Although the laptop is fine for travel, I find that my desktop is quite a bit better for editing. Obviously it is faster, but also the monitor is bigger, clearer, and the colors are better. So I leave my final edits for when I get home to the desktop.

Edit: the processor on my XPS 13 is an i5-6200U running at 2.30 GHz.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2017 10:51 |  #32

davesrose wrote in post #18521676 (external link)
I'd be concerned with that processor: it's 1.3GHZ base speed, dual core and scores very low in the performance charts:

Intel Core i7-7Y75 @ 1.30GHz (external link)

If you are looking for a 2-in-1, HP offers a better i7 processor option for their 13" Spectre

Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz (external link)

Configure your HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 13t touch (external link)

I have a Lenovo 15" 2-in-1 Yoga. Looking at their 13" 2-in-1, I see that it also uses the same processor option as the HP:

Lenovo Yoga 720 (13") (external link)

Are you looking at the same one as me? Says:

8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
16GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
13.3” FHD AG (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge display, Non-touch

View mein website:

www.rodlewisphotograph​y.co.uk (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,430 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by davesrose. (3 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 10:53 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #33

OK, thank you for clarifying: that's why I said in a previous post: it's hard to compare computers if you don't name which i7 processor you're looking at!! ;-)a Your previous link re-directs to the U.S. site here, which oddly, all of Dell's XPS 13" 2-in-1s use the i7-7Y75 processor instead of the i7-8550U

With Dell's inclusion of the i7-7Y75 processor in their 2-in-1 XPS, they're showing that they're favoring battery life over performance. The i5-6200U actually scores a few points above the i7-7Y75 in the performance charts. The other brands options of a i7-8550U in their 13" 2-in-1s (in the US market) indicates better performance at the expense of shorter battery life. Instead of up to 15 hours battery life, it's up to 10. Since Dell is including the i7-8550U in your market, then it does make it a contender as well IMO. Only other slight difference I see with your specs vs Lenovo, is that Lenovo's memory is 2133 MHZ speed.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2017 11:06 |  #34

davesrose wrote in post #18521708 (external link)
OK, thank you for clarifying: that's why I said in a previous post: it's hard to compare computers if you don't name which i7 processor you're looking at!! ;-)a Your previous link re-directs to the U.S. site here, which oddly, all of Dell's XPS 13" 2-in-1s use the i7-7Y75 processor instead of the i7-8550U

With Dell's inclusion of the i7-7Y75 processor in their 2-in-1 XPS, they're showing that they're favoring battery life over performance. The i5-6200U actually scores a few points above the i7-7Y75 in the performance charts. The other brands options of a i7-8550U in their 13" 2-in-1s (in the US market) indicates better performance at the expense of shorter battery life. Instead of up to 15 hours battery life, it's up to 10. Since Dell is including the i7-8550U in your market, then it does make it a contender as well IMO. Only other slight difference I see with your specs vs Lenovo, is that Lenovo's memory is 2133 MHZ speed.

So, are you basically saying it's a decent buy? :)

View mein website:

davesrose
3,430 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 19, 2017 11:31 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #35

I think so, and thanks for revealing that Dell has different configurations in Europe vs US. My family recently tried ordering a laptop for my aunt, who lives in Vienna. With customs and over-seas gift cards usually being limited to $200, we've found it's next to impossible.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Rodreguez.

Dec 19, 2017 11:35 |  #36

davesrose wrote in post #18521741 (external link)
I think so, and thanks for revealing that Dell has different configurations in Europe vs US. My family recently tried ordering a laptop for my aunt, who lives in Vienna. With customs and over-seas gift cards usually being limited to $200, we've found it's next to impossible.

I honestly didn't even know there was this spec for the machine myself until yesterday. I saw a similar model on display for £1549, about £100 more but was only 7th gen i7 but had a touch screen. The fickle side of me now wishes it was touchscreen and is tenpted to get the one from PC World for this reason only.

Final question (maybe) do you know if the 8th gen i7 is substantially more powerful than the 7th? I'm sure I heard someone say it was. Not sure if you know....?

edit: I'm also guessing the touchscreen could add significant weight to it which is counter productive....

View mein website:

davesrose
3,430 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 19, 2017 11:50 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #37

RE: processor speeds: well again, you have to compare specific models and apps. For Photoshop, a lot of the new 8th gen i7 processors may actually run slower. The basic trend is that they've taken previous 7th gen dual core processors and dropped the base clock speed (to reduce power consumption). To try to claim better performance, Intel is referring to making more of the 8th gen processors quad core (which Photoshop favors higher clock speed over cores). So I'd say the difference in 8th gen laptop processors isn't so much speed, but battery consumption. That benchmark site I previously linked is pretty good about just comparing processors alone: but the caveat is that applications are written differently and take advantage of different features of the processor (or GPU).

IMO, a touchscreen is pretty important for a 2-in-1. I've got a Wacom stylus that I can use directly on my Lenovo screen and supports pressure sensitive brushes in Photoshop/LR. You can try comparing the 8th gen i7 with the 7th gen i7 at that benchmark site. My Lenovo is a 15", which at the time 8th gen processors were just coming out. I sided with the Lenovo over other brands because it had a i7 quad core with higher clock speed (so it was better for me, who apart from PS also does video encoding and 3D rendering). Compared to what I'm used to (I have an older Dell mobile workstation that has no battery life now), its processor performance and *enough* battery life for my needs, makes it a good travel laptop for me.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2017 12:02 |  #38

davesrose wrote in post #18521769 (external link)
RE: processor speeds: well again, you have to compare specific models and apps. For Photoshop, a lot of the new 8th gen i7 processors may actually run slower. The basic trend is that they've taken previous 7th gen dual core processors and dropped the base clock speed (to reduce power consumption). To try to claim better performance, Intel is referring to making more of the 8th gen processors quad core (which Photoshop favors higher clock speed over cores). So I'd say the difference in 8th gen laptop processors isn't so much speed, but battery consumption. That benchmark site I previously linked is pretty good about just comparing processors alone: but the caveat is that applications are written differently and take advantage of different features of the processor (or GPU).

IMO, a touchscreen is pretty important for a 2-in-1. I've got a Wacom stylus that I can use directly on my Lenovo screen and supports pressure sensitive brushes in Photoshop/LR. You can try comparing the 8th gen i7 with the 7th gen i7 at that benchmark site. My Lenovo is a 15", which at the time 8th gen processors were just coming out. I sided with the Lenovo over other brands because it had a i7 quad core with higher clock speed. Compared to what I'm used to (I have an older Dell mobile workstation that has no battery life now), its better performance and *enough* battery life for my needs, makes it a good travel laptop for me.

Oh God. It gets more and more complicated. This is not over yet. I don't think that XPS is Quad core despiute being 16GB 512SSD and 8th Gen i7

View mein website:

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 19, 2017 12:07 |  #39

Rodreguez wrote in post #18521750 (external link)
Final question (maybe) do you know if the 8th gen i7 is substantially more powerful than the 7th? I'm sure I heard someone say it was. Not sure if you know....?

Nope, not in my experience with my 8th Gen. But the battery power is the best I've ever had. To me, if you insists on 13", like I do for frequent travel purposes, then it's all about trade offs. I'm not happy with my XPS 13's limited 1.8GHz and its cramped keyboard, but I love just about everything else about it, 4K IPS screen, long long battery life and its light weight.

Regarding your new pick, it should perform (PS and LR) better than mine.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

davesrose
3,430 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 19, 2017 12:12 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #40

The i7-8550U is quad core. What is the 7th gen processor you're looking at with the touchscreen 2-in-1? With 7th gen i7 processors, you were more likely to get the higher end quad core processors with 15" and 17" laptops. Chances are the 7th gen you're looking at is dual core with a higher clock speed. So performance with PS might be similar with either processor. It really boils down to touch screen: I don't think it adds much weight (it is a different display panel)...and I like using a stylus right on the screen with painting masks and such. So it's up to preference.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Rodreguez. (3 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 12:19 |  #41

davesrose wrote in post #18521785 (external link)
The i7-8550U is quad core. What is the 7th gen processor you're looking at with the touchscreen 2-in-1? With 7th gen i7 processors, you were more likely to get the higher end quad core processors with 15" and 17" laptops. Chances are the 7th gen you're looking at is dual core with a higher clock speed. So performance with PS might be similar with either processor. It really boils down to touch screen: I don't think it adds much weight (it is a different display panel)...and I like using a stylus right on the screen with painting masks and such. So it's up to preference.

Oh ok. These are the ones I'm comparing. It doesn't say Quad Core specifically in the first line, whereeas some of the 15" do. I think the one on the left is cheapest because it isn't touchscreen, and the two on the right both have 4k screens and are identical aside from the one on the right having a 1 TB SSD.

Are these Quad Core then? The touch screen is the factor I'm concerned with chiefly at this point, and whether it adds considerable weight to the machine, which is for flying and travelling, and I want it to be as light as possible.....

e: sorry, re-read your post. I guess touch screen doesn't add much weight. Might be looking at the middle one then? I think it's £1599

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

View mein website:

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,686 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (8 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 12:29 |  #42

I just visited the Dell web site, specified 11-14", i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. What pops up as the universe of choices is

• i7- either the -8550 or the -7700
  • 16GB RAM in 2500MHzor or 2666MHz

For a comparison of processors, see this https://ark.intel.com/​compare/97185,122589 (external link)
  • While the 8550 has 5% faster Turbo max clock (4.0 vs. 3.8 GHZ)...but then you have to wonder if your app would ever USE IT?!, (see below)
    the 7700 has 55% faster fundamental rate (2.8 vs 1.8 GHz)
  • The Bus speed is twice as high on the 7700 as on the 8550 (8 vs. 4 GT/s)
  • The 7700 can support twice as much RAM
  • the 7700 has 16% faster graphics base frequency, and it supports twice as much video RAM

Intel says about Turbo:

"Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software, and overall system configuration.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

Type of workload
Number of active cores
Estimated current consumption
Estimated power consumption
Processor temperature
When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize frequency and energy efficiency. Note: Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance."

Both 7700 and 8550 are quad core, supporting 8 threads. Due to the differences identified above, I would lean toward a laptop with the i7-7700HQ

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Rodreguez. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 12:33 |  #43

Wilt wrote in post #18521797 (external link)
I just visited the Dell web site, specified 11-14", i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. What pops up as the universe of choices is
i7- either in-8550 or 7700
16GB RAM in 2500MHzor or 2666MHz

For a comparison of processors, see this https://ark.intel.com/​compare/97185,122589 (external link)
  • While the 8550 has 5% faster Max Clock (4.0 vs. 3.8 GHZ)...then you have to wonder if your app would ever USE IT?!, the 7700 has 55% faster fundamental rate (2.8 vs 1.8 GHz
  • The Bus speed is twice as high on the 7700 as on the 8550 (8 vs. 4 GT/s)
  • The 7700 can support twice as much RAM
  • the 7700 has 16% faster graphics base frequency, and it supports twice as much video RAM

Both are quad core, supporting 8 threads. Due to the differences identified above, I would lean toward a laptop with the i7-7700HQ

Ok that is interesting. I don't understand any of it but 'll try and find tat on the website. Thanks.

edit: I can't find a 7700 at all tbh even with a search. In fact I think it's only the 15" that is 7700?

View mein website:

davesrose
3,430 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 19, 2017 12:39 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #44

I noticed with spec'd 7th gen processors, dual core ones were usually labeled as "i7 core" ("core" being specific to dual core). Anyway, yes the i7-8550U is a quad core processor with base speed of 1.8GHZ (the "up to 4GHZ" means if it's able to be "turbo-boosted" to maximum). I looked up the difference, and apparently the weight of a touchscreen can add up to .2 pounds difference. With that and a QHD (it's not a full 4K resolution, but 4K is not really needed with 13") its battery is not going to run as long. Still, with the new processor, it should be comparatively good. I got my 15" 2-in-1 to get better performance, and its battery life is good for what I need it for. It also seems very portable to me (since I'm used to really big and bulky mobile workstations) :-)

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Rodreguez.

Dec 19, 2017 12:42 |  #45

davesrose wrote in post #18521803 (external link)
I noticed with spec'd 7th gen processors, dual core ones were usually labeled as "i7 core" ("core" being specific to dual core). Anyway, yes the i7-8550U is a quad core processor with base speed of 1.8GHZ (the "up to 4GHZ" means if it's able to be "turbo-boosted" to maximum). I looked up the difference, and apparently the weight of a touchscreen can add up to .2 pounds difference. With that and a QHD (it's not a full 4K resolution, but 4K is not really needed with 13") its battery is not going to run as long. Still, with the new processor, it should be comparatively good. I got my 15" 2-in-1 to get better performance, and its battery life is good for what I need it for. It also seems very portable to me (since I'm used to really big and bulky mobile workstations) :-)

Using your bencmark site I searched Intel Core i7-8550U and found "i7-8550U@ 1.80GHz" and it is really rather low on the scale in performance.

Want to see what I mean?

Glad it's quad core though...

View mein website:

sponsored links

3,596 views & 23 likes for this thread
Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.