Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To Drone or Not to Drone, That is the Question.

Pigpen101
346 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 14, 2017 16:08 as a reply to  @ post 18517991 |  #16

Just saw this.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1489431&go​to=newpost

sponsored links
Pigpen101
346 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 14, 2017 16:16 |  #17

There is only 47 minutes left on the FLASH deal..

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …2_mavic_pro_fly​_more.html (external link)

Scatterbrained
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 14, 2017 16:33 |  #18

Who actually calls the airports everytime they want to fly their drone? It looks like I'd have to clear every flight with an ATC somewhere here in socal. -?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

TreeburnerCT
416 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Dec 14, 2017 18:25 |  #19

My local ATC got tired of hearing from me every day and said if I'm flying under 400ft not to call but to watch out for helos. Have not called them in 3 years, but have also not had any close calls or any other type of issue.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2017 08:53 |  #20

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18518016 (external link)
Who actually calls the airports everytime they want to fly their drone? It looks like I'd have to clear every flight with an ATC somewhere here in socal. -?

My wife does when shooting real estate, though some have recently started to let you submit your flight plan electronically if you know in advance where you're going to fly.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

KeithS
247 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 15, 2017 20:02 |  #21

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18518016 (external link)

Unfortunately, I live just over two miles from an Air Force Base, so I call. The last few Sundays that I flew from home, when I called, no one answered. I left messages. On one side of my property, I am just outside of the call zone of a hospital heliport, so I fly from there.

Scatterbrained
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2017 11:14 |  #22

Well, my wife put an end to the discussion yesterday. She ordered the P4P+ Pro Bundle kit from Adorama, along with prop guards, a LowePro DroneGuard Pro 450 backpack, and the Polar Pro Cinema Filter kit, then she called me to make sure that was what I was looking at. :-D I guess I'll have to find a use for it now. ;-)a

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

TreeburnerCT
416 posts
Joined Dec 2016

Dec 17, 2017 11:28 |  #23

Nice, you'll get even better quality images and video from the P4P in exchange for some convenience of carrying and storing it. There's a Phantom Pilots Forum (external link) which should be very helpful in familiarizing yourself with all of the features and answer any questions you may have. It should be easy enough to learn, but if you've never flown a drone before you might want to pick up one of those little $40 micro quads to familiarize yourself with the controls of flying a drone, much better to crash that than your thousand dollar P4P.

Enjoy and make sure to share some photos here once you get to fly it!

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2017 12:03 |  #24

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18517775 (external link)
Well, therein lies the rub, I have no interest in video, only stills . . .

I, also, would only be interested in stills.

The concern I have is with image quality.

If I got a drone, I would want to take still pictures that are every bit as good, technically, as the images that I take with my 1D4. . Actually, I'd want even better images, because I am no longer satisfied with 1D4 files when making big 48" by 32" prints or when shooting in extremely low light.

So I would want the drone to take stills with something like a 5D4 or a 5Ds. . Is this even possible? . I really have no interest in images that are not in this class, as far as pixel-peeping technical quality is concerned. . Can affordable drones in the $700 range support this class of cameras?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Scatterbrained
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2017 14:32 |  #25

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18520125 (external link)
Nice, you'll get even better quality images and video from the P4P in exchange for some convenience of carrying and storing it. There's a Phantom Pilots Forum (external link) which should be very helpful in familiarizing yourself with all of the features and answer any questions you may have. It should be easy enough to learn, but if you've never flown a drone before you might want to pick up one of those little $40 micro quads to familiarize yourself with the controls of flying a drone, much better to crash that than your thousand dollar P4P.

Enjoy and make sure to share some photos here once you get to fly it!

-Joe

That's not a bad idea. I may pick up a cheap quadcopter while we're out today.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,789 posts
Gallery: 1179 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 8 months ago by MalVeauX.

Dec 17, 2017 14:38 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18520152 (external link)
Can affordable drones in the $700 range support this class of cameras?

I doubt it, the weight alone, and bulk volume of the camera with a lens is not going to go well with an entry level drone. More like a $4k~6k professional drone with a $1k gimbal system to handle the dSLR. DJI makes this stuff.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Scatterbrained
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2017 14:46 |  #27

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18520152 (external link)
I, also, would only be interested in stills.

The concern I have is with image quality.

If I got a drone, I would want to take still pictures that are every bit as good, technically, as the images that I take with my 1D4. . Actually, I'd want even better images, because I am no longer satisfied with 1D4 files when making big 48" by 32" prints or when shooting in extremely low light.

So I would want the drone to take stills with something like a 5D4 or a 5Ds. . Is this even possible? . I really have no interest in images that are not in this class, as far as pixel-peeping technical quality is concerned. . Can affordable drones in the $700 range support this class of cameras?

The Phantom 4 pro uses a 1" Sony sensor, so it's good as far as drones go. To get better than that you've got to drop some real cash.

IQ is part of what has kept me from making the leap sooner. Of course, if money were no object I'd buy an octocopter and gimbal that could handle my A7RII.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

TreeburnerCT
416 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Post edited 8 months ago by TreeburnerCT.

Dec 17, 2017 17:34 |  #28

To shoot DSLR quality stills you'd need something like an Inspire 2 or a custom rig. However, you're then not only risking many thousands of dollars flying it, but if it crashes into something or someone it's going to do significant damage. More headache than I'd want as a hobbyist, but I could see upgrading if it became a major part of my business.

-Joe

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2017 21:29 |  #29

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18520284 (external link)
The Phantom 4 pro uses a 1" Sony sensor, so it's good as far as drones go.

I'm thinking that that sensor itself would probably be adequate for most usages.

It looks like all of those Phantom 4 Pros come with a fixed lens of just 24mm focal length. . This would not be adequate at all.

For the kind of frame-filling portraits I would want, at 24mm, the drone would have to be just 3 or 4 feet away from the animal's head. . Believe me, no wild deer or bear is going to tolerate a drone buzzing right in front of its face - that would scare the critter and it'd run off. . And to get frame-filling portraits of smaller animals, such as birds or squirrels, at 24mm you'd have to have the drone just inches away from the subject. . So I'm just not seeing how today's technology would allow me to get the kind of photos I want from a drone.

I think we still have a long, long way to go before drones and drone cameras are capable of doing the things that I want them to be able to do. . So, I guess the answer to your original question is "not to drone".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kickmaster
532 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 27, 2017 10:20 |  #30

My 3DR from yesterday. I'm also a pilot, therefore sensitive to how so many owners ignore altitude limits....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

sponsored links

5,955 views & 9 likes for this thread
To Drone or Not to Drone, That is the Question.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.