Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom vs PhotoscapeX

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Sideshot. (2 edits in all)

Dec 14, 2017 09:16 |  #1

I recently started working with a lot of RAW files so I tested out the latest Lightroom CC and PhotoscapeX.

They are both very similar but PhotoscapeX for me has been nicer to use, also much.. less expensive.

I am wondering what I am missing out on and what keeps others in Lightroom ? and what others think about the two compared ?

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2017 10:40 |  #2

But with Lightroom CC you automatically get Photoshop. So how does Photoscape compare to both Lr & Ps? Does Photoscape let you use a DCP file for correct colors, luminosity and color range masking, layers with blend modes.....etc. ?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,403 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 14, 2017 11:03 |  #3

MCAsan wrote in post #18517738 (external link)
But with Lightroom CC you automatically get Photoshop.

That is if you are shackled to the Adobe subscription. :lol:

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,403 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 14, 2017 11:11 |  #4

Looks like Photoscape X can only be downloaded from the Microsoft store. I have the Microsoft store blocked, so no Photoscape X for me.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Sideshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Sideshot.

Dec 14, 2017 11:21 |  #5

MCAsan wrote in post #18517738 (external link)
But with Lightroom CC you automatically get Photoshop. So how does Photoscape compare to both Lr & Ps? Does Photoscape let you use a DCP file for correct colors, luminosity and color range masking, layers with blend modes.....etc. ?

Just comparing Photoscape to Lightroom. Photoshop is a different animal a much more powerful animal. PhotoscapeX is like Lightroom it is for adjustments before Photoshop work.

PhotoscapeX does have color range masking, no layers like LR you need to migrate to PS.

Archibald wrote in post #18517764 (external link)
Looks like Photoscape X can only be downloaded from the Microsoft store. I have the Microsoft store blocked, so no Photoscape X for me.

I am not a fan of Microsoft store ether. I don't know of anywhere else to get it that is legit.

If you do download it there is a free trail version that has enough tools to see if you like it.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2017 14:34 |  #6

It looks a lot like On1 to me, a lot of presets and slider adjustments. Does it do any asset management?

Gear
Website (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,717 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 14, 2017 17:15 |  #7

Sideshot wrote in post #18517774 (external link)
Just comparing Photoscape to Lightroom. Photoshop is a different animal a much more powerful animal. PhotoscapeX is like Lightroom it is for adjustments before Photoshop work.

But the point is still valid, you get Lr for free with Ps, or of course you get Ps free with Lr if you are looking at CC Classic. Actually since Adobe also give you ACR along with Ps, and Bridge now being free for everybody, it poses some interesting questions. Are you going to be using Ps CC? If yes then you get the choice of a very good RAW converter, with absolutely no attached DAM at all, just use ACR. Although Bridge is a very good file manager program, with plenty of useful multimedia functionality, along with a lot of tight Adobe integration. I use Bridge quite a bit, even though I access all my photographic images via Lr.

Adobe also throw in Lr for free if you want a heavyweight database driven DAM application that can make looking after your images incredibly simple. With a really good RAW converter, essentially ACR, directly incorporated directly in the same user interface. As far as I'm aware nobody else has quite the same level of combined DAM and RAW functionality within a single application interface. C1 Pro probably comes closest to the full versatility of Lr, but it is a much more expensive proposition.

Although Lr and Ps, along with Bridge when necessary, are my main workhorses when it comes to my photos, I do have DPP 4, and DPP 3 since I need support for my old 300D and my 20D which I use as a second camera, as well as DXO 10, Picture Window, FastRawViewer, GIMP, and ICE on my computer. Thanks to the abjectly bad predecessor to DPP being essentially unuseable, I ended up using RawShooter Essentials as my first real RAW converter, and when Adobe bought the program and incorporated it in ACR and Lr I moved first to ACR, and then as my image collection grew, I moved to Lr in 2011 at about the time of the first Lr4 public Beta release. So a large part of my sticking with ACR/Lr is the fact that I am used to the way the programs operate, and I don't have to invest in significant learning of an entirely new system. Especially in regards to all the DAM features I regularly use in Lr.

I have always used Ps along with the RAW converters, although given how good the RAW converters have now got, I tend not to need to use Ps nearly as often as I used to do. Buying Lr 4 was nice as it gave me the DAM I was looking for, along with the new version of the process version, without the need to upgrade from Ps CS5. I only upgraded to CC because I needed the HiDPI support for my Dell 5K monitor. As things stand paying monthly is for me an accessible means to achieving the upgrade. I could not have afforded the sort of money that the perpetual licence upgrade would have cost me in one lump sum.

Given that I am, and probably would be, paying for Ps anyway; any alternative to Lr/ACR would have to have some very significant advantages or be the same effective cost.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Sideshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Dec 15, 2017 08:55 |  #8

ShotByTom wrote in post #18517912 (external link)
It looks a lot like On1 to me, a lot of presets and slider adjustments. Does it do any asset management?

I hadn't heard of On1 I will have to try it.

Asset management in Photoscape I have just browser windows folders with it. It will display the camera settings as you browse files and you can "flag" files.

BigAl007 wrote in post #18518043 (external link)
But the point is still valid, you get Lr for free with Ps, or of course you get Ps free with Lr if you are looking at CC Classic. Actually since Adobe also give you ACR along with Ps, and Bridge now being free for everybody, it poses some interesting questions. Are you going to be using Ps CC?

For my use I have CS3 and CS6 which are paid for. I do not want a subscription fee. I have access to Adobe cloud and the only thing PS has new that I want or need is RAW and that's why I am exploring RAW alternatives to Adobe Cloud.

ShotByTom wrote in post #18517912 (external link)
Especially in regards to all the DAM features I regularly use in Lr.

Putting my files in the cloud has absolutely no value to me, actually negative value.
- I have plenty of room on my computer and if I need more I will use an external hard drive
- I do not trust 3rd party servers for my back ups, I back up my own files
- Many files I go tru and delete, so to upload them, browse them, then delete them is a massive waste of bandwidth

I like have my own files. no need to have others keep them for me. I have also used Windows file browser for ever I am just used to it and have good work flows. I could probably speed up my work flow, but would look to local browser solutions.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,540 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 15, 2017 10:35 |  #9

While the LR+PS combo works for folks, there are plenty of alternatives now that do not involve a subscription, a database/DAM, or dedicated cloud storage. That's the lemonade resulting from Adobe's decision to go subscription and, despite all of the hype, not fix their aging, existing applications.

Think about photo editing as tuning and manipulating pixels, not operations in Photoshop, and you can accomplish most everything outside of the Adobe universe if that's how you want to roll. For folks who have invested heavily in time and resources in an Adobe-centric workflow, it makes sense to stick with it - I hope that all of the recent development in node-based and non-destructive full-fledged editors and raw developers would nudge Adobe to completely re-write and redesign the Photoshop experience, but I am not holding my breath. If I had one wish for Photoshop, it would be to have a new version that is node-based, like Resolve or Blender or any number of image-processing pipelines. Photoshop is long in the tooth and LR continues to get bogged down in processing bottlenecks to the point where it appears to unusable for a lot of users. Not the best editing experience.

One can hope.

I use the creative cloud suite (mostly PS, AI, AE). Although I have access to it, I do not use LR. If I need the Adobe Camera Raw engine, I use it in PS (ACR). As a Mac user, I have plenty of excellent alternatives.

Kirk

Kirk
---

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2017 16:07 |  #10

Sideshot wrote in post #18518429 (external link)
I hadn't heard of On1 I will have to try it.

Asset management in Photoscape I have just browser windows folders with it. It will display the camera settings as you browse files and you can "flag" files.

For my use I have CS3 and CS6 which are paid for. I do not want a subscription fee. I have access to Adobe cloud and the only thing PS has new that I want or need is RAW and that's why I am exploring RAW alternatives to Adobe Cloud.

Putting my files in the cloud has absolutely no value to me, actually negative value.
- I have plenty of room on my computer and if I need more I will use an external hard drive
- I do not trust 3rd party servers for my back ups, I back up my own files
- Many files I go tru and delete, so to upload them, browse them, then delete them is a massive waste of bandwidth

I like have my own files. no need to have others keep them for me. I have also used Windows file browser for ever I am just used to it and have good work flows. I could probably speed up my work flow, but would look to local browser solutions.

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding the cloud. LR doesn't use the cloud for your library, it's primarily used for current projects if you use computers at different locations for editing. I don't use the cloud version, and don't know anyone who does. The LR CC Classic doesn't use the cloud feature at all. Windows file browser is not a DAM. I have just over 100k images in my LR catalog, I can't imagine just using a folder.

If that works for you, then great. But I think your eyes would be opened if you looked into the benefits of DAM, whether is's LR or something else.

Gear
Website (external link)

Sideshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Sideshot.

Dec 15, 2017 16:40 |  #11

ShotByTom wrote in post #18518817 (external link)
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding the cloud. LR doesn't use the cloud for your library, it's primarily used for current projects if you use computers at different locations for editing. I don't use the cloud version, and don't know anyone who does. The LR CC Classic doesn't use the cloud feature at all. Windows file browser is not a DAM. I have just over 100k images in my LR catalog, I can't imagine just using a folder.

If that works for you, then great. But I think your eyes would be opened if you looked into the benefits of DAM, whether is's LR or something else.

I looked it up before on Adobe and it mentioned cloud and collaboration it gave me the impression of a 3rd party server storage.

After playing with the LR catalog and file management for a few. It is very robust much more robust the PhotoscapeX. I could see how it would be some nice features when dealing with lots of images.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2017 16:58 as a reply to  @ Sideshot's post |  #12

If you get the photography package from Adobe, you'll just want to ignore LR Cloud CC. I tried it, and it's pretty cool because I had access to everything on my iPad away from home. But for me, it's just not practical. I have too many Cloud accounts as it is, so I don't want to mess around with another one.

Gear
Website (external link)

Sideshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Dec 16, 2017 09:41 |  #13

ShotByTom wrote in post #18518849 (external link)
If you get the photography package from Adobe, you'll just want to ignore LR Cloud CC. I tried it, and it's pretty cool because I had access to everything on my iPad away from home. But for me, it's just not practical. I have too many Cloud accounts as it is, so I don't want to mess around with another one.

I have access to the full Adobe CC, so I am trying to use stuff to test it out. I do not like the subscription based model and would not buy it on my own, but Adobe does make some great software so I use them as a benchmark when looking at alternatives.

I do not mind paying for good software but and not into monthly fees. Also I like to keep and control all of my files, I do use AWS storage for back ups it is cheap under $1. a mo, I encrypt it and control all the security on it.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 16, 2017 09:46 |  #14

If anyone thinks Adobe CC is expensive, price out Phase One's Capture One Pro 11.

Sideshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Dec 16, 2017 10:10 |  #15

MCAsan wrote in post #18519181 (external link)
If anyone thinks Adobe CC is expensive, price out Phase One's Capture One Pro 11.

Their is always.. something more expensive. and you can always say "well look how expensive that other thing is.."

What is happening with Adobe is they have a good product and have monopolized the market with it. When companies monopolize a market they will keep pumping prices up as high as they can as much as they can. Until.. they start losing customers and sales.

Personally I do not like monopolized markets and I am supporting competition and looking for alternatives.

sponsored links

6,968 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lightroom vs PhotoscapeX
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.