Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 14 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading from Canon 400D

Invisible ­ Man-
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 14, 2017 13:41 |  #1

Hi, everyone!

My beloved Canon 400d has been my faithful companion for a long time. However, I feel the time has come to upgrade or at least get her a younger sister :-)

I'm seeking your advice regarding this difficult decision because I'm having a lot of trouble making up my mind.

My budget would be around 1000€. However if you think it would be worth it to go a little higher to get something clearly better I might wait a little longer to be able to save to go that extra stretch.

I currently have several canon or canon compatible lenses so I'll most likely be getting another Canon body.

I don't have a prefered type of photography, I just do whatever I feel inspired to do. However, being an amateur I don't normally have access to studio gear so I probably won't be doing that sort of work. Everything else is possible.

I have some education in photography (one year long photography course finished about 7 years ago) but I've only done amateur work after that and not always very regularly. For that, I would say that my skill level should be something like intermediate. With my 400d I feel some limitations like shooting in low light, or the ability to crop images without losing too much quality. Also, focusing isn't always the fastest and shooting burst shots is usually not very useful in this camera. I love my camera but I feel it's holding me down a bit and maybe I could evolve better with a newer body and newer technology.

I've already done some research and I came down to the following possibilities:

Canon 80d
Canon 7d Mark II
Canon 6d Mark II

The 6d is a full frame camera, of course. Although I would like to make that step, I'm not sure that this is the right camera to get right now, considering all the bad comments out there. On the other hand, some crop sensor cameras seem to have comparable quality nowadays. And all other full frame cameras seem to be too far away from my budget.

I would like to get your input, specially if you have used or know any of these cameras. Also, if you think there is another model I should consider or maybe wait for something you know is likely to come up soon, please let me know. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you already for reading this far :-)

What is your advice?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 14, 2017 13:45 |  #2

Heya,

What lenses do you have already? Do you plan on getting new lenses if you go full frame?

Based on what you've described, I would look at the 80D or a 6D1 (the first one, not the II; and with the saved money pick out a full frame lens with it).

Alternatively you could look at the Canon M5 for a different approach that is quieter, if you care.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,687 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 14, 2017 13:56 |  #3

For general photography, you can't go far wrong with a current Canon Rebel. You could get a bit more capability with the next grade up, like the 77D or 80D. They all give pro quality photos. The difference would be things like micro focus adjust (often not necessary in real life) or brighter viewfinder with a pentaprism (but is a heavier body).

I would not go full frame unless you have a specific need for that format. Full frame is better for image quality, but for most purposes, nobody will be able to tell the difference. Medium format is even better than FF, but despite that, practically nobody buys it because the differences are usually not noticeable.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by kf095.

Dec 14, 2017 14:09 |  #4

I would like to suggest 6D original and most current 50 1.8 nifty fifty.
To be honest, 5D classic would be even more fun for less money than 6D, the ISO1600 from 5Dc is so organic, but they are not under Canon service anymore...

Going from Rebel to FF and seeing what basic 50mm lens could do was most eye opening and pleasing experience to me with any digital gear so far. I used 5D and 50mm lens for years and most.

I'm still using 500D, which I purchased new in 2009, but using Leica M-E as FF digital camera now.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Chris.R
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Dec 14, 2017 19:13 |  #5

I'd say try them in a shop, or try to borrow one from someone you know, for half an hour's use.
I got an 80D, but wish I'd gone with a 7D2 at that time. I have a few other cameras available.
I find it hard to get on with the buttons on the 80D, in a way I didn't find with lower Rebels. The 7D2 is way better, for me.

I thought the folding screen of the 80D would be useful, but in practice I don't use it much, unless on a copy stand or with the camera near the ground.
If you do extreme macro, the 80D vibrates more than the 7D2!
I don't find there's much between the 80D and 7D2 sensor-wise. Of course people set up tests to prove a point, but your 400D would be miles behind both, in those tests. Same applies to AF - if you pick a particular lens and lighting combination, yes the 80D may win. If you only had one of them you'd find a way to make things work.
Full frame is nice to use with a 50/1.8 say. Great in low light
But if your other/wide lenses won't work with it, that's a major investment, for general improvements like dynamic range which probably won't show in most shots. At the long end I'd still use APS, unless spending a lot, and carrying a lot of weight.

Invisible ­ Man-
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 15, 2017 09:03 |  #6

I currently own the following lenses:

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

If I go full frame I probably won't be able to buy any new lenses anytime soon.

Sticking to APS-C is probably smarter considering all costs involved. On the other hand, when I read stuff like what kf095 wrote it feels like I might be missing out on a lot by not going FF.

By the way, I didn't include Canon 6D original because I read there was a huge evolution in the 6D II. It seemed like a better choice. But maybe I'm wrong about this...

Regarding 80D and 7D II it still doesn't seem to be an easy choice...

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2017 10:22 |  #7

6D II is bulkier, what is the only evolution I'm finding worth of mentioning. :)

Tammy lens is amazing lens and well known on FF to be used by pro photogs. I have it as well.
Nifty-Fifty, on FF it might be the only lens which is needed. While on crop it is lens which is not needed most of the time, IMO.
And 70-200 is also very classic FF lens for portraits.
This is what I used on 5D, 5D MKII - 28-75, 50 and 70-200. 50 was most used. No over lenses were needed. My daughter gave me 16-35 2.8 later on, because she is only using 24-105 on 5D MKII to get job done.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Invisible ­ Man-
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Invisible Man-.

Dec 20, 2017 08:59 |  #8

Ok so it looks like an 80D might be a good option in APS-C.

What about a 6D Mark I or maybe a used 5d Mark II or Mark III if a good oportunity comes up?

I can always keep shooting with the 400D in APS-C and use some of the lenses in FF...

Considering the quality an 80D might deliver, is it really worth it to go FF, in your opinion?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,687 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2017 09:47 |  #9

Invisible Man- wrote in post #18522433 (external link)
Ok so it look like an 80D might be a good option in APS-C.

What about a 6D Mark I or maybe a used 5d Mark II or Mark III if a good oportunity comes up?

I can always keep shooting with the 400D in APS-C and use some of the lenses in FF...

Considering the quality an 80D might deliver, is it really worth it to go FF, in your opinion?

Nobody knows.

I have a 7D2, and love it. But I just downgraded to a 77D. The 77D looks like a fun camera. It does just about everything (that matters) that the 7D2 does, but is significantly lighter. The lower weight is an advantage to me.

On photo trips I will take both bodies. That way I have a backup. Time will tell if the 77D is as useful for the kind of shooting I do as the 7D2 is. If it is, then why lug the heavy body around?

A big part of photography for many of us is the gear. Many of us just like gear. We buy something neat, and then want to go out and use it, put it through its paces, see what it can do. It is cool to have gear that can do amazing stuff. Each of us has different desires and hangups and tendencies. That's why we buy different stuff. It is not all practical.

The decision process is part of the fun. Do your research, then buy what you think is right. That doesn't mean it is right - it just feels right at the time when you are doing your deliberations.

If money is all-important, just stick with your 400D. It is an excellent camera. But for more fun, blow some cash on a new gadget that can do so much more.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

ksbal
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2017 15:02 as a reply to  @ Invisible Man-'s post |  #10

80D is an excellent choice.

The nods to FF are
1. shallower dof
2. better high ISO performance.

As you already have a 70-200 f2.8, you can put that on the 80D and shoot wonderful portraits just fine.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links

1,222 views & 1 like for this thread
Upgrading from Canon 400D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.