Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm ready for a new basketball body, still can't decide 7dII or 5dIII

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 08, 2018 21:06 |  #46

thanks again Teamspeed.. Sorry for so many questions, I think at this point I'm driving myself mad here LOL...
I will have to make a decision our season starts this weekend and it's local, I don't think I'm going to shoot as we're short handed and I would like my next shoot to be with a new body :)
I'll keep you posted on what I decide and thanks again for all your valuable input.... once i get this bad boy then I just need some advice on how to set up the focus settings etc.
:)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2018 21:11 as a reply to  @ post 18536623 |  #47

The 5D3 doesn't have a fully working auto ISO in manual mode like the 7D2, that is a disadvantage. Do not listen to anyone that says to not shoot sports above 1/500th. If you want to just shoot at the apex of a move and not get fast lateral movement, then sure. However sweat and spittle stop moving in the air at 1/2000th, so use that info as needed. I have shot at 1/1250th in the beginning years, and have steadily sped it up to 1/2000th now at high ISO. I can fix noise, I cannot fix motion blur.

Of course the 7D2 is very easy to use, my 14 year old daughter was shooting the game with my 7D2 and 24-70 and took some great shots! It does take a quick run of Noiseware though, no manual work, I have a recorded action I run on all hundreds of shots each game before I edit each one for composition. However, I still think the 5D3 is better if noise is an issue you don't have time to address in your shots, otherwise the 7D2 is great.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Jan-05-2018/i-5XF29jP/0/698372b3/X3/216A5152-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Jan-05-2018/i-K9L5x5B/0/adf43eba/X2/216A5222-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 09, 2018 11:02 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #48

Those are incredible shots especially at 12800... but my gyms are not nearly lit that good lol... it’s hard to ignore the 7d especially at 1100$ new. I was just hoping for that better focal range but I guess I can always just use the 24/70 for those times, as I do now... I did like the idea of 5d3 not needed so much noise reduction.

How can it not have auto iso, my t3 has auto iso in Manual mode.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2018 11:08 |  #49

heat00 wrote in post #18537091 (external link)
Those are incredible shots especially at 12800... but my gyms are not nearly lit that good lol... it’s hard to ignore the 7d especially at 1100$ new. I was just hoping for that better focal range but I guess I can always just use the 24/70 for those times, as I do now... I did like the idea of 5d3 not needed so much noise reduction.

How can it not have auto iso, my t3 has auto iso in Manual mode.

You cannot set exposure compensation in manual mode, so it will always use an ISO to center your exposure. The 7D2 and 5D4 have EC in manual mode when using auto ISO so you can shoot to the right just a bit. You can also set minimum shutter speeds to really help in sports if you want to shoot in Av but control both shutter and ISO ranges. Not has handy, but it has some uses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 09, 2018 11:51 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #50

ah I see... yes that certainly will be useful....
so the decision remains difficult.... I guess the money factors is as well, it is half the price after all and with 10 FPS, anti flicker, true auto iso, and a great focusing system, I can deal with a little more noise and slightly closer focal range...

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 09, 2018 11:52 |  #51

were those above shots, shot with the 70-200?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 09, 2018 11:56 |  #52

She was using my 24-70, and I had to crop out the best of the images. Then NR and other post filters.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2018 11:59 |  #53

I would be wary of any site selling below 1500 new. The going rate on the reputable sites is around 1500. Canon is selling the refurbished bodies for around 1300, I believe.

Jetcamera, and a host of other sites either are bait and switch, or like 6Ave, which are selling gray market, most likely causing you to lose your 1 year warranty. If gray market is fine with you, then yes, you can find a few places offering this at $1100.

Up to you, gray market: https://www.newegg.com …AvN2EALw_wcB&gc​lsrc=aw.ds (external link)

Stay away from: http://www.jetcameras.​com …uDv2BPGF4Mf8aAu​ZCEALw_wcB (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 09, 2018 21:11 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #54

gotcha, maybe I'll just goto Best buy and demand price match, of jet camera?
Also see them on Amazon, non international version for $1125? :

https://www.amazon.com …keywords=canon+​7d+mark+ii (external link)

Best buy should at least match Amazon?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 09, 2018 21:16 |  #55

heat00 wrote in post #18537530 (external link)
gotcha, maybe I'll just goto Best buy and demand price match, of jet camera?
Also see them on Amazon, non international version for $1125? :

https://www.amazon.com …keywords=canon+​7d+mark+ii (external link)

Best buy should at least match Amazon?

I would trust the Amazon one only because I know how customer service works with Amazon orders. Best Buy will likely only match those things fulfilled by Amazon, not by a private seller on Amazon, which is what you are setting.

This seller is 98% for an Amazon reputation, so if you are going to buy one, there are limited stock.

https://www.amazon.com …r=8-3&keywords=7D+mark+ii (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 10, 2018 14:23 |  #56

I just read the 51 pages of the 7DII AF guide, very helpful....
do you keep it in case 2 or 4, for basketball.
Also, what points do you select it to use, I see many options starting from one box to 4 boxes to 8 boxes etc. I don't know that one point for me will do it but maybe the 4 points and I imagine for portrait shooting you want the "right" or top boxes checked as that would be about where their heads are lined up, close to the basket etc.?
I think I'm going to best buy with my amazon prime and newegg adds, both showing much cheaper prices and I read their price match guarantee which clearly says they will match these 2 sellers so let's see what excuse they give me lol.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2018 14:32 |  #57

I will have to look at the cases, but I know for certain that I tweak the settings while using one of the cases.

I only use a single AF point, and for landscape, I set it in the middle but higher than center so I can keep that point on the player's head.

For portrait, similarly, above center by a couple points in the middle again so I can keep that AF point on somebody's head.

I do not use zone or groups of AF points. In basketball, you would get missed shots quite often that way.

Best Buy will match prices where Amazon is fulfilling the order. If the item shows it is being sold by a 3rd party, chances are high they won't match it. If they didn't have this policy, I could go list a 7D2 for $900 on Amazon, and 15 minutes later after it was published, I could use it to go get one from a store at that price, then delist it.

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 10, 2018 16:05 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #58

ok good to know about the AF points...
I think I'm going to go by there and see what they say. If amazon is selling a new, non internations, non grey market one on prime, I don't know what excuse they will give but I'll find out. also newegg shows it as well.
if by some miracle they match the 1100, I suppose it's a great deal and a no brainer right? lol.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,413 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2018 17:54 |  #59

It is a great deal if you get it, good luck!

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 10, 2018 18:31 |  #60

finally pulled the trigger, got the 7dII (well it's on it's way anyways). I have another thread about this as they all now sell only with the wifi adapter for $400 more, unreal. I found a good online retailer that had a few left and was willing to sell body only , no stupid wifi adapter and I'm excited.

Teamspeed, I know we discussed this a lot before but no idea where those threads are, any quick tips for setup? we leave for Indy the day after camera arrive LOL so no time to play with it unfortunately:

so I gather so far:

ISO-Auto (nice to have this feature finally)
Anti flicker on
set the AF points for each orientation
wide open aperture 2.8
al servo
Case 2 or 4 I believe for basketball?
SS as high as I can go without underexposing and set the EV (I think that's what it's called) one click to the right?

anything else need to be set initially?

Thanks in advance for your advice (as always)

sponsored links

11,021 views & 21 likes for this thread
I'm ready for a new basketball body, still can't decide 7dII or 5dIII
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.