Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How determine a print price?

Ronin1
157 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 27, 2017 21:21 |  #1

Hello all. I am hoping to get some advice in pricing. I decided to print some of my work for the first time and sent two images (travel) to a local full service lab? When I went to pick the prints up the employees told me that while trimming and mounting the prints a lot of regular customers were raving about them. One person in particular asked them to give me his phone number because he wants to purchase a print of one of the images. I’ve never sold my work before, I’m not a professional.....yet ߙ

I will call this person soon to see what he¢s looking for but I’m trying to anticipate what questions I might face during this conversation and what questions I may have after the conversation, and these are the burning ones that I can think of right now.

1.) should I sent the image off to a more professional lab than the local one I used?

2.) should I frame and matte or just deliver the print and let the client choose?

3.) what is a good starting point for a pricing model after charging full price for materials and printing?

Thank you all so much in advance for any tips or advice.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,205 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 28, 2017 01:39 |  #2

1. If the local lab sucks, yes. If not, no.

2. Ask client. Price accordingly.

3. Research how much a similar shot would cost, many stock sites out there, and go from there.

J ­ Michael
947 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 02, 2018 05:58 |  #3

If folks were raving over the prints then it sounds like the lab did a good job. Mounting and other finishing costs can really drive up the cost. Find out what the customer has in mind for a finished product e.g. canvas wrap, face mount to plex, mounted on dibond, etc., then get your quotes. Another consideration is print quality in terms of what you are willing to accept from the lab, some labs make a distinction between a commercial quality and fine art print. You have more control over the latter. Commercial is usually intended for trade shows and the like and might get printed on a printer with smaller gamut than the fine art output.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2018 15:46 |  #4

texkam wrote in post #18527728 (external link)
1. If the local lab sucks, yes. If not, no.

3. Research how much a similar shot would cost, many stock sites out there, and go from there.

^^^

unless the prospective buyer had seen any of your photos with price marked, they have no idea where you set the value.
conversely you have absolutely no idea of the budgetary limits of the buyer.
...so the challenge is to find a starting point from them, and then you ask for more money, and then agree upon a price that works for the both of you!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,159 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2018 12:40 |  #5

In asking the potential client you can ask if they have a particular format or price point in mind. If the client replies with price you can let them know how much or little that will buy. If the reply is format then you have a way to calculate your direct costs and add the value of your time.

Since I don't need the income, I tend to either greatly over-value or grossly under-value my time just to suit my evaluation of the client and personal whim. The first time I went ridiculously high I didn't much like the person and was surprised to get a quick acceptance. Another trick I've used is cost plus a nice donation to Wounded Warriors or Southern Poverty Law Center or similar.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

980 views & 0 likes for this thread
How determine a print price?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.