Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 19:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Changing over Laptop parts

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
7,984 posts
Gallery: 1540 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2017 19:48 |  #1

A friend wants to buy me a cheap refurbished laptop as a late xmas present, no I dont strictly need one as my current Toshiba Tecra is working fine apart from a slight screen problem and dying battery.
So the question/s is - are hard drives interchangable just by dropping them in from one laptop make and model to the next, also are the memory slices all made the same physical size (not memory size) to swap over from laptop to laptop?

The reason I ask is I have lots of stuff on my hard drive and my memory slices add up to 8gb, and I have been told the refurbished one I have been offered has far less 4gb at best.
Hope I have made sense of the questions.

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 29, 2017 09:06 |  #2

If the refurbished laptop you're being offered is less then 4GB RAM, then the rest of the specs might also be inferior to what you already have. If your friend is looking to get you a xmas present, perhaps you can suggest camera accessories instead. Or a replacement battery on your current laptop, if that's the main issue you're having. Here's a video on removing batteries from different Toshiba models:

Toshiba Tecra Battery Removal (external link)

To specifically answer your questions about swapping parts, it may not be as easy as just physically swapping parts. For the hard drive, is your Toshiba's HD as fast as the refurbished laptop you're thinking of swapping in? If you do swap, then you run the problem of Windows not being able to boot, since it's looking for all the components from the Toshiba laptop. So from a practicality standpoint, it would be best to back up your data on an external drive, install the Toshiba drive into the refurbished laptop, do a fresh Windows install on your new laptop, setup all programs, and then load in all your saved data.

With RAM, you have to check to see that you have an available slot, and if you have an extra RAM chip from your Toshiba. There's also an issue that RAM speeds will be different, so the computer will drop down memory speed to whatever RAM is slowest. Many laptops now have their first RAM slot practically inaccessible, so user accessible RAM tends to be the second slot that's at the bottom panel of the laptop. Your current laptop either has 4GB per each slot or 8GB that may not be accessible (at least not easily).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,947 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 29, 2017 09:26 |  #3

If you can live with the screen issue on the Tecra, I'd be more inclined to investigate installing an SSD drive. Get a migration kit and let it copy everything to the SSD and make it bootable. Then install it. Good SSD drives are inexpensive these days.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2017 11:39 |  #4

I assume transferring hard drive data Lightroom etc from one hdd to another is straight forward, just by putting this hdd inside the hdd compartment of the other laptop?

P.

Some stuff.

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 29, 2017 13:13 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #5

You should first find out what kind of hard drive is in your Toshiba. If it's older, or you know it's a standard HD, it will be a 2.5 laptop SATA drive. Newer slimline laptops don't have SATA drives, but PCIe slots (like DRAM slots). If you're looking to transfer SATA drives, you can find hard drive enclosures or just simple SATA to USB3 cords. You plug the drive as a USB drive in your new computer, and then you can copy whatever data you want:

Sata Cable 2.5 inch to USB 3 (external link)

If you're asking if you can plug your current HD into another laptop: again, the problem is that that computer won't be able to boot (the system configuration files are looking for your Toshiba). You'll have to essentially wipe the drive and install Windows, re-install your programs, and then copy over all your data.

If you're looking at replacing your current hard drive with your current laptop, you can mirror the whole hard drive data to a new hard drive. In this instance, all the system files can be transferred and the new drive will boot. You'd first plug it into a USB adapter cable, mirror copy all data from your main HD to the new one (via HD duplication software). Then you can swap hard drives.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,947 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 29, 2017 14:53 |  #6

Pagman wrote in post #18528727 (external link)
I assume transferring hard drive data Lightroom etc from one hdd to another is straight forward, just by putting this hdd inside the hdd compartment of the other laptop?

P.

The "migration" process is really quite simple, except perhaps for opening the case of the Toshiba to actually install the drive. You should let us know exactly what model Tecra you have and we might have some better suggestions. You can go to the Crucial or Samsung website and put in models and they will make suggestions as to drive. Note the generic type, like SATA as someone suggested, then go shopping.

I have changed numerous Dell and Lenova laptops from spinning HDD to SSD's. Basically you buy a migration kit for typically about $10. It consists of a special cable and software. That enables you to hook up the new drive to a USB port. The software handles making a mirror image of the old drive on the new drive. Once completed (typically about an hour) you open the laptop case, remove the old drive, install the new drive, and everything is ready to go. In the dozen or so I've changed I had one issue and I had to refresh a printer driver. I am convinced it was because the laptop was connected wirelessly to the printer while the mirror image was being created.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2017 15:36 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18528939 (external link)
The "migration" process is really quite simple, except perhaps for opening the case of the Toshiba to actually install the drive. You should let us know exactly what model Tecra you have and we might have some better suggestions. You can go to the Crucial or Samsung website and put in models and they will make suggestions as to drive. Note the generic type, like SATA as someone suggested, then go shopping.

I have changed numerous Dell and Lenova laptops from spinning HDD to SSD's. Basically you buy a migration kit for typically about $10. It consists of a special cable and software. That enables you to hook up the new drive to a USB port. The software handles making a mirror image of the old drive on the new drive. Once completed (typically about an hour) you open the laptop case, remove the old drive, install the new drive, and everything is ready to go. In the dozen or so I've changed I had one issue and I had to refresh a printer driver. I am convinced it was because the laptop was connected wirelessly to the printer while the mirror image was being created.

Can you load all the appas and files onto a disc instead of doing the hdd route, then load them into the other laptop?

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2017 15:40 |  #8

My current laptop is a Tecra A11, and I might be getting another toshiba a model called satellite pro S500-11C.

P.

Some stuff.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,947 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 29, 2017 16:31 |  #9

Pagman wrote in post #18528968 (external link)
Can you load all the appas and files onto a disc instead of doing the hdd route, then load them into the other laptop?

P.

Generally no for the "appas" which I assume you mean applications. Most Windows based software, when installed, writes specific info into the Windows registry. Without that registry based info, applications would not run.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2017 16:40 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18528998 (external link)
Generally no for the "appas" which I assume you mean applications. Most Windows based software, when installed, writes specific info into the Windows registry. Without that registry based info, applications would not run.

I still have the original extractor files that were downloaded when I downloaded Lr5 for example, I also have most of my other app extractor files sat in my downloads file, are theas no the building blocks for the apps, that could be saved and re installed.

P.

Some stuff.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,947 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA.

Dec 29, 2017 17:21 |  #11

Pagman wrote in post #18529003 (external link)
I still have the original extractor files that were downloaded when I downloaded Lr5 for example, I also have most of my other app extractor files sat in my downloads file, are theas no the building blocks for the apps, that could be saved and re installed.

P.

I can't say with any certainty if the "extractor" files you refer to would work. As an example of the issue, Canon for instance issues updates of some of their software. But for the update to install properly some previous version must exist. Without a previous installation, an update will not work.

Maybe someone else familiar with LR5 can respond.

Also, before you jump into this, many Tecra A11 use an Intel i5 processor and many Satellite Pro S500-11C use an i3 processor. You could be making a backward move!

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Pagman.

Dec 29, 2017 17:54 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #18529019 (external link)
I can't say with any certainty if the "extractor" files you refer to would work. As an example of the issue, Canon for instance issues updates of some of their software. But for the update to install properly some previous version must exist. Without a previous installation, an update will not work.

Maybe someone else familiar with LR5 can respond.

Also, before you jump into this, many Tecra A11 use an Intel i5 processor and many Satellite Pro S500-11C use an i3 processor. You could be making a backward move!

This one im on is a very early gen1 i3 just checked.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,984 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2017 19:29 |  #13

I have been searching more info on transfering all my data over to my new laptop, I had considered just dropping in the hdd from my old laptop (this one) into my new one as they both use the same type of hdd units, however I understand this will not work due to windows 7 conflicting and the OS may go to a Blue screen.
I am backing up my laptop at the moment onto a disc but not sure what that will do?

I still have all the Extracter files (the original files when I first downloaded the different APPS)
Can I simply save these Extracter Files Lightroom 5.7 eg. - Lightroom_5_LS1_ 1_win_5_7
and Photoshop CS2 eg - PhSp_CS2_English and then open them in my new laptop?

P.

Some stuff.

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 30, 2017 20:31 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #14

Is the new laptop Windows 10? You cannot simply take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it in the new: because the old hard drive's configuration files are looking for the previous hardware. If you know what data files you want to transfer, you can copy them to an external drive. Backing up a drive from a program like Windows backup will put everything in a compressed file (your system files, app files, and data files). It doesn't hurt to do this in case you ever needed to restore your old computer, and you will have all data backed up. I personally would just buy an external USB 3 drive to transfer data.

There are several different types of installer files that Adobe downloads....some have all the compressed program files, some don't (and expect you to download more data when you run the setup). It's hard to say if the "extractor" files have all the necessary data. You can try running them: they'll either extract full setup files in a C:/Adobe folder (from which you can run setup), or you'll get an error such as 'corrupt file' or 'file not found'. Here is a link for Lightroom 5.7.1 Windows exe:

Lightroom_5_LS11_win_5​_7_1.exe (external link)

Photoshop Windows CS2 exe:

PhSp_CS2_English.exe (external link)

Adobe's CS2 site:

Download Acrobat 7 and CS2 products (external link)

smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,947 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 30, 2017 20:48 |  #15

Pagman wrote in post #18529717 (external link)
I have been searching more info on transfering all my data over to my new laptop, I had considered just dropping in the hdd from my old laptop (this one) into my new one as they both use the same type of hdd units,

P.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but making this statement makes me feel you are not up to the task at hand and likely would face a long road getting things to work properly, if at all.

sponsored links

1,180 views & 5 likes for this thread
Changing over Laptop parts
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.