Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashbender questions

kat.hayes
166 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2017 09:58 |  #1

I’m looking at getting a Flashbender to use with my 5dm3 and 600ex to mainly take portraits indoors. Anyone have experience with these? Does the XL make much difference over the large? Does the soft box diffusion that comes with it work well?

Thanks.

sponsored links
soeren
Whoops Im not updated
371 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 9 months ago by soeren. (4 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2017 10:17 |  #2

If you have the possibility to either bounce your light or use the flash off camera on a lightstand with e.g. a 60cm octabox it would be recommended. While the flashbender (i have 2 XL) is a significantly bigger source than the bare head it's still a fairly small lightsource relative to even just a human head. Then you move it a couple of fået or even more away to get some room to work and take care of the falloff and it's suddenly a rather small and hard light. But it is a fun modifier and it's great for macro, rim- and hairlight.

OceanRipple*
826 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 30, 2017 10:35 |  #3

Also consider the 'Sundisc':
http://www.sundisc.org​/ (external link)

.. it's 60cm diameter. IMO it's best held on a 'Godox S bracket'. Of course even 60cm is not huge, but I like mine. It's easy to deploy in confined spaces, very lightweight and very easy to boom out when necessary.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2017 13:03 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I think the Large one is large enough. Shooting indoors..you have the advantage of bouncing light off walls and ceiling. With the flashbender, you have the advantage of getting softer light to the front off the subject. The large one is already somewhat heavy and making your rig top heavy. The XL one can be too big and bulky. The Flashbender is no substitute for a large softbox. If you have to decide how are you going to use the Flashbender.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

kat.hayes
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2017 19:53 |  #5

I have some high ceilings that do not really will work for bouncing. Any idea how far you can even bounce? We also have some walls painted various colors, so I’m thinking that is a bad idea to bounce off of? Most of the time I can’t really set up a soft box on a stand because I’m trying to capture the moment with my kids. By the time I get a stand, softbox, etc, the moment is gone....

1. Soeren, you suggested a 60cm octabox. I know next to nothing about studio lighting. Why only 60cm? Can a larger one spread light from a flash? Can a soft box designed to work with studio lighting also work with a flash?

2. Soeren, you mentioned you have the XL Flashbender. How close do you need to be to your subject to get good results with it?

Thanks!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by Scatterbrained.

Dec 30, 2017 20:08 |  #6

kat.hayes wrote in post #18529731 (external link)
I have some high ceilings that do not really will work for bouncing. Any idea how far you can even bounce? We also have some walls painted various colors, so I’m thinking that is a bad idea to bounce off of? Most of the time I can’t really set up a soft box on a stand because I’m trying to capture the moment with my kids. By the time I get a stand, softbox, etc, the moment is gone....

1. Soeren, you suggested a 60cm octabox. I know next to nothing about studio lighting. Why only 60cm? Can a larger one spread light from a flash? Can a soft box designed to work with studio lighting also work with a flash?

2. Soeren, you mentioned you have the XL Flashbender. How close do you need to be to your subject to get good results with it?

Thanks!

What do you consider high walls? In this shot my kids are lit with on camera flash, bounced off of the adjacent building! Just adjust iso and aperture till you get what you need. Personally, I'd much rather bounce indoors than use a flashbender if at all possible. Granted I'd rather use a large flashbender than bare, direct flash too.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4504/37627862042_de3501e3c5_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Zk3C​s7  (external link) _36X8132.jpg (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,863 posts
Gallery: 1282 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 30, 2017 20:15 |  #7

Thanks!

I've yet to find a moment where I want a flashbender, and having used one, I still prefer just bouncing off a wall or ceiling. Unless your'e bouncing off something literally 80~100 feet away, I would say just use your flash and bounce off walls and ceilings and don't worry about a flashbender (which is merely a close to subject bounce source that is small). It's only really useful if you have no walls or ceilings, like middle of a field.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2017 20:35 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I used it mostly shooting outdoor and early hours and when I am pretty close to the subjects..using a manual speedlites. So, a flashbender is really helpful to prevent blown out highlight too..

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling-Races/2017-Race-Season/Lucarelli-Castaldi-Cup-Rae-Series-Final-Race-81917/i-n4jcGXh/0/6f6d7462/XL/lucarellicuprace81917_0491a-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling-Races/2017-Race-Season/Lucarelli-Castaldi-Cup-Rae-Series-Final-Race-81917/i-4XmXVHC/0/5de2c8a0/XL/lucarellicuprace81917_0537a-XL.jpg

I think the XL is just too big if you need to move around a lot...

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
371 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 9 months ago by soeren.

Dec 31, 2017 03:58 |  #9

Thanks!

To my taste the flashbender need to be as close as 30cm at the most. But at this distance and closer youll start se see the effects of the Inverse square law. The size and shape of softbox was only suggestions. Square and up to around 100cm should be fine too. I wouldn't go larger as,as you mention, It will become difficult to fill it so youll get some unser realestate. A Bowens mount S-bracket will let you use any modifier in Bowens mount with your speedlight. You mention your kids and capturing the moment. Then how about an umbrella in a handholdable bracket?

Daggah
108 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 31, 2017 12:05 |  #10

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18529404 (external link)
Also consider the 'Sundisc':
http://www.sundisc.org​/ (external link)

.. it's 60cm diameter. IMO it's best held on a 'Godox S bracket'. Of course even 60cm is not huge, but I like mine. It's easy to deploy in confined spaces, very lightweight and very easy to boom out when necessary.

I just did the price conversion on the Sundisc...it's over $50 each.

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

OceanRipple*
826 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 9 months ago by OceanRipple*.

Dec 31, 2017 13:04 as a reply to  @ Daggah's post |  #11

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …12ngHFEAAYAyAAE​gIfFfD_BwE (external link)

.. but as a backer, I got my Sundisc for less than the current price.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,904 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 01, 2018 09:45 |  #12

I have some high ceilings that do not really will work for bouncing. Any idea how far you can even bounce? We also have some walls painted various colors, so I’m thinking that is a bad idea to bounce off of? Most of the time I can’t really set up a soft box on a stand because I’m trying to capture the moment with my kids. By the time I get a stand, softbox, etc, the moment is gone

In this situation I would go with some kind of bounce card, or something like the regular size flash bender. As others have said, you'd be surprised how high of a ceiling you can bounce off of. Having a bounce card will help throw some light forward.

When there is a decent amount of ambient, even direct flash to fill in shadows can add a little pop to the subject. The trick is blending ambient with the flash power, and insuring the flash is near the same color temp as the ambient.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2018 10:08 |  #13

The biggest advantage of the larger flashbender (keeping in mind they are only effective in bounce situations) is that you get a much nice catchlight in the eyes than using a smaller card.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
371 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 9 months ago by soeren.

Jan 01, 2018 11:54 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #18530809 (external link)
The biggest advantage of the larger flashbender (keeping in mind they are only effective in bounce situations) is that you get a much nice catchlight in the eyes than using a smaller card.

Then Id rather use it in a BFT (Black Foamy Thing) kind of way having only the bounced light, looks a lot more natural to me.

sponsored links

2,607 views & 7 likes for this thread
Flashbender questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.