Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jan 2018 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens - Error 99

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 01, 2018 22:00 |  #1

Not sure where to go on this issue. After about 3 hours of shooting I get an Error 99 on my camera. I have the problem traced down to this lens. I only get this error when I try to use this lens. I cleaned the contacts on the lens and I still get the error. First, are there anything else I can check on this lens to fix the problems and two, is it worth to take in to get repaired? Any help would be great, thanks.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Jan 04, 2018 09:50 |  #2

You probably have a manufacturing defect on the lens, where the ribbon cable inside the lens has worn out. It is a known issue that Canon has refused to address. I purchased a used 40D camera and 17-85mm lens on eBay. The day after I received the camera and lens, I got the Error 99 message. The good news there, is that I was able to negotiate a partial refund, from the seller, for the lens. Here is a link on the manufacturing defect for the 17-85mm lens:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1087775

If you can find the parts, you might be able to repair the lens yourself. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to replace the ribbon cable inside the lens. I do not know how much Canon would charge to repair this lens. I'd suggest you purchase a new lens--either the EF-S 15-85mm, or an 18-135mm lens.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,040 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon EF 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens - Error 99
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.