Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 02 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lets talk about light

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 07, 2018 04:05 |  #16

Here's a video on light positioning. The down side is that it's kind of a primer, and the rest of the series is behind a paywall. In addition it's geared toward cinematography. But the concepts apply to photography just the same. The way that you use light will do more to define your photographic style than anything else...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 07, 2018 05:51 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #17

Thanks for that Dalantech, that was really interesting and well-presented.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 07, 2018 07:21 |  #18

Pippan wrote in post #18558365 (external link)
Thanks for that Dalantech, that was really interesting and well-presented.

I wish that the other 3 videos were not behind a pay wall, but it was still good just on it's own.

My Blog (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,389 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2018 10:49 |  #19

Dalantech wrote in post #18558331 (external link)
Here's a video on light positioning. The down side is that it's kind of a primer, and the rest of the series is behind a paywall. In addition it's geared toward cinematography. But the concepts apply to photography just the same. The way that you use light will do more to define your photographic style than anything else...

This video illustrates the principles that motivate why I tell begginers to lighting to simply get one or two halogen desk lamps and

• play with positioning
  • play with relative intensity

...and SEE what one or both can do to flatter a face or to make it into at ghoulish mask
-- before buying ANY photographic artificial light, particularly speedlights which give the photographer ZERO idea of what the placement does to the subject appearance (use of speedlight merely 'illuminates', it does not 'light')

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,737 posts
Gallery: 238 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald. (2 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2018 11:28 |  #20

Just noticed this thread about diffusers for macro. It is good to keep discussing this topic. John is right about the difficulty of quantifying diffused light.

Also, in my search for the ideal diffuser for macro, I have found that one diffuser does not fit all. Ideally, you would want a different diffuser for a shiny bug (for instance a beetle) compared to a bug with a dull appearance (moth). The degree of magnification also affects how light from a particular diffuser looks.

But when we are in the field, there is usually little to no opportunity to tailor the lighting rig for the subject. At least that is my experience. I load the rig up with my flash and modifier and shoot what I find. That means (for me) that there will be variance in the results.

But I accept the compromise. Where I live, we have bugs for only about 4 months of the year, mid-May to mid-September. Therefore much of my bug photography takes place on trips to warmer places. And that imposes another compromise: the gear has to be portable for travel. My solution, as mentioned in other threads, has been to use a fan-shaped diffuser on the end of my 100mm L with a snoot on a camera-mounted flash. The materials collapse flat and weigh practically nothing. They give satisfactory results at times IMO.

Here are a couple of examples from my last trip, which was to Cuba.

Lygaeus sp bug, looks OK to me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Archibald's gallery.

Iridescent fly, same flash rig, but too hot I think. (And a bit OOF :oops: )

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 08, 2018 07:54 |  #21

Archibald wrote in post #18558560 (external link)
...But when we are in the field, there is usually little to no opportunity to tailor the lighting rig for the subject.

Excellent point, and that's why I said in the beginning that this wouldn't be a discussion of what the best light source is, because it's too situational. The best light source is the one that lets you get the shot that you want, and often the subject dictates what you're going to use.

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

5,639 views & 17 likes for this thread
Lets talk about light
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.