Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First monolight. Godox. But which one?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,722 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Levina de Ruijter.

Jan 02, 2018 08:00 |  #1

I'm ready for my first monolight. It's for tabletop photography, freezing motion and maybe some portraits in the near future. I will use it indoors only.

I'm going to start with just one monolight and learn how to use it, then go from there. I want it to be a decent one, but not spend too much money, so I was thinking Godox and I think 300-400 Ws would be plenty.

My choice now is between the sk400ii and the qs400ii.

The skii series can't go lower than 1/16. Will that be enough?
The qsii series go down to 1/32, so that's a bit better. The qsii series is a higher end model than the skii series but I can't find any user reviews online on this series and I don't think Adorama has its Flashpoint equivalent (yet?).

I've been reading less than stellar things about the X1 trigger, so I was thinking to get the Xpro instead. Or would the XT-16 do just as well?

Also, I need a good solid stand. Preferably one that can hold a boom as well. I think this one from Interfit would be a good choice: https://www.adorama.co​m/pals134.html (external link)
Unless there's one just as solid for less money?

What would you, gurus of light, advise? Or would you maybe advise something else entirely?
I welcome any and all advice but please remember that I'm in Europe and that not all brands available in the USA, can be bought here.
Thanks!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by mmmfotografie.

Jan 02, 2018 11:44 |  #2

If you need freezing motion the have a look at the QT400II and more info you can find here: https://www.essentialp​hoto.co.uk …00-high-speed-flash-head/ (external link)

The ones you mentioned are more or less standard mono lights and I urge to go the shop where you can hold them and maybe even test them. The handle and how you can change the angle can be other than you think.

Godox is sold under different names so shopping can save money.

Trigger: https://www.essentialp​hoto.co.uk …t-4ghz-flash-transmitter/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 02, 2018 13:26 |  #3

Heya,

At 400Ws, with a modifier, and you're controlling aperture & ISO, I don't think you'll run into power issues on the low end.

The Godox 400Ws with the built in R2 and an XPro trigger would be excellent for the cost.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,722 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 02, 2018 14:03 |  #4

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18531682 (external link)
If you need freezing motion the have a look at the QT400II and more info you can find here: https://www.essentialp​hoto.co.uk …00-high-speed-flash-head/ (external link)

The ones you mentioned are more or less standard mono lights and I urge to go the shop where you can hold them and maybe even test them. The handle and how you can change the angle can be other than you think.

Godox is sold under different names so shopping can save money.

Trigger: https://www.essentialp​hoto.co.uk …t-4ghz-flash-transmitter/ (external link)

The QT400ii would be nice indeed but I feel it's a bit overkill for my needs and it costs more than I am willing to pay. Your "standard mono lights" will do just fine, I think. Don't forget l I'm just a hobbyist who would like to have a more consistent light source for a bit of "huisvlijt". :-P Thanks very much, Marcel.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18531751 (external link)
Heya,

At 400Ws, with a modifier, and you're controlling aperture & ISO, I don't think you'll run into power issues on the low end.

The Godox 400Ws with the built in R2 and an XPro trigger would be excellent for the cost.

Very best,

Martin, that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that. I think I will get the qs400ii then.

Levina

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2018 14:12 |  #5

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18531790 (external link)
Martin, that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that. I think I will get the qs400ii then.

I have seen people (not just above) post about tabletop photographers being able to control strobes (for instance that only go to 1/16) with aperture before. I think it is a big misunderstanding that tabletop photographers shoot stopped down, or have the option to stop down to control light.

I am just getting some strobes set up, if you feel you want to shoot wide open, or more open, give me a bit and I will take some meter readings that would approximate 400 w/s at 1/16

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,722 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 02, 2018 14:22 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18531800 (external link)
I have seen people (not just above) post about tabletop photographers being able to control strobes (for instance that only go to 1/16) with aperture before. I think it is a big misunderstanding that tabletop photographers shoot stopped down, or have the option to stop down to control light.

I am just getting some strobes set up, if you feel you want to shoot wide open, or more open, give me a bit and I will take some meter readings that would approximate 400 w/s at 1/16

Point taken, LHB. The thing is I don't quite know what to expect from 400Ws. A Speedlight is what? 50Ws or thereabouts? And it can go down to 1/128s. So 1/16 for 400Ws seems a bit well, not enough? So yes, I would love to see your readings. That's really kind of you and much appreciated!

Levina

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 02, 2018 15:02 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18531808 (external link)
Point taken, LHB. The thing is I don't quite know what to expect from 400Ws. A Speedlight is what? 50Ws or thereabouts? And it can go down to 1/128s. So 1/16 for 400Ws seems a bit well, not enough? So yes, I would love to see your readings. That's really kind of you and much appreciated!

No problem. I know I regularly operate under 1/16.

I got stuck on the phone, heading to my cold studio room now.

Do you know what kind of modifiers and size objects you plan to shoot?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,722 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 02, 2018 15:37 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18531836 (external link)
No problem. I know I regularly operate under 1/16.

I got stuck on the phone, heading to my cold studio room now.

Do you know what kind of modifiers and size objects you plan to shoot?

As to modifiers, I want them all of course! :-P
Well....

One thing I will want to be able to do is very precisely direct a beam of light, so I will definitely get a snoot and maybe barn doors (not sure how effective they are really). Also something to soften the light, like a softbox.

The size of my objects will no doubt vary. I participate in POTN's WWPW. There are a number of shots in my gallery. Usually they're small items. However, I can see myself shooting a proper still life. I have some plans in that direction.

Keep warm!

Levina

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (3 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2018 17:15 |  #9

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18531849 (external link)
Keep warm!

i imagine i should say the same to you, times 10 :P it was 15°F at nine this morning and didn't get above 29. It's been mild so it has been a shock to the system the last week or so.

(edit: for some reason i thought you were in Finland or Sweeden or something :D it looks downright balmy in Amsterdam right now.)

This stuff was already laying on my table, so i rearranged it and put a piece of foam core behind everything. 24 inch Cheetah qbox, a very simple yet effective modifier. Here it has the inner diffuser and outer diffuser in place.

there is not enough ambient to have even a slight effect on the photos.

Canon 580EXII

This is 1/1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is 1/8

HOSTED PHOTO

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2018 17:19 |  #10

exact same set up except with the Goxox/Cheetah 360, which is thought to be a 300 w/s equivalent

360 @ 1/4

HOSTED PHOTO

360 @ 1/32

HOSTED PHOTO

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2018 17:27 |  #11

same as last pic except with a reflector and the meter reading only the reflector.

going to grab some grub, and maybe a beer. I'll make some more commentary about why I feel 1/16 or 1/32 can be very limiting.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,414 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 02, 2018 19:09 |  #12

Why not a couple of AD200s? Very versatile, you can use the fresnel flash, or the bare bulb, and can even double them up using the dual head bowens mount. Wireless already built in, battery goes into the flash, and the XPro can control them both. You even get the barn doors with the kit.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,722 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 02, 2018 19:44 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18531931 (external link)
i imagine i should say the same to you, times 10 :P it was 15°F at nine this morning and didn't get above 29. It's been mild so it has been a shock to the system the last week or so.

(edit: for some reason i thought you were in Finland or Sweeden or something :D it looks downright balmy in Amsterdam right now.)

Yeah, I'm in Amsterdam and we are having unusually high temps for this time of year. It's after midnight and it's 8ºC!

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18531941 (external link)
same as last pic except with a reflector and the meter reading only the reflector.

going to grab some grub, and maybe a beer. I'll make some more commentary about why I feel 1/16 or 1/32 can be very limiting.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Left Handed Brisket in
./showthread.php?p=185​31941&i=i125256836
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Can't wait to hear that commentary!

The pics are very helpful. What if you want to have shallower depth of field than in your 1/32 pic? I know a nd filter can be used. And you can put more distance between the light and the subject, but I've been thinking about freezing motion and I'm worried now. Will a flash duration of 1/32 be short enough do that? I mean, give a really crisp result? Maybe Marcel was right after all and I should get me the QT400II. AFAIK it's the only Godox studio light that goes down to 1/128.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18532034 (external link)
Why not a couple of AD200s? Very versatile, you can use the fresnel flash, or the bare bulb, and can even double them up using the dual head bowens mount. Wireless already built in, battery goes into the flash, and the XPro can control them both. You even get the barn doors with the kit.

I was just looking at them. But they're quite expensive and two would set me back no less than 800 euro. That's simply too much. Those kits you speak of I couldn't find over here. Closest one was in Finland where the whole kit cost the same as the flash alone over here: 399 euro! Maybe Pekka could get me a discount.  :p

Levina

simonbarker
190 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 02, 2018 19:50 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18532034 (external link)

Indoors only though? You lose cables and can go a lot lower but then you're stuck running off a battery, worse performance, one stop less power, requires an accessory just to use a normal mount and it's nearly twice the price for just one AD200.

I like the idea of the Godox SK400II as a starting head, you buy into the Xpro remote which then works with all your future heads and then you've got the flexibility to go whatever way you want with future heads and they should all play nice with the Xpro.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,414 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 02, 2018 20:03 |  #15

simonbarker wrote in post #18532062 (external link)
Indoors only though? You lose cables and can go a lot lower but then you're stuck running off a battery, worse performance, one stop less power, requires an accessory just to use a normal mount and it's nearly twice the price for just one AD200.

I like the idea of the Godox SK400II as a starting head, you buy into the Xpro remote which then works with all your future heads and then you've got the flexibility to go whatever way you want with future heads and they should all play nice with the Xpro.

A single AD200 is about 1/2 stop under the AD360, and 2 AD200 on a Bowers Dual Head is less than a stop below the 600. The batteries work well and recycle pretty fast. With the different accessories and light heads, having 2 AD200s at different angles and heights over small objects is very nice indeed. Simple bowens mounts are very, very inexpensive ($16 USD).

Also with the deals over the holidays, the prices were quite good. Yes, now that Christmas is over, one would have to wait.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

13,682 views & 29 likes for this thread
First monolight. Godox. But which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.