Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luminar 2018 and RAW

steve5823
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017

Jan 06, 2018 14:20 |  #1

I am a new user of Luminar, have used LR 5 for many years. So far with Luminar I can load jpg images and work on them. However any RAW photo is corrupted with lots of noise. I use a 7D mkii. Have uninstalled and reloaded, doesn't help.
The same photo in LR or the DPP works fine.
Overall Luminar is pretty good but this problem is not good!
Any ideas?

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,718 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 06, 2018 18:04 |  #2

I have used Macphun/Skylum products since they released the CK app collection. Luminar and Aurora 2018 work great on my iMac. Note I said iMac. I am guessing you are running the Windows version.

The company is likely months away from functional parity between the MacOS and Windows versions of the products.

Go to their support FB page. https://www.facebook.c​om/groups/skylumsuppor​t/ (external link) or email their support and give them all the details such as OS being used...etc.

RMyers
296 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2018 19:13 |  #3

are the jpegs and RAW files written to the same cards? or different ones? Just wondering if you might have a card issue.

Rusty
Austin, TX

ajayclicks
878 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 06, 2018 22:40 |  #4

steve5823 wrote in post #18534998 (external link)
I am a new user of Luminar, have used LR 5 for many years. So far with Luminar I can load jpg images and work on them. However any RAW photo is corrupted with lots of noise. I use a 7D mkii. Have uninstalled and reloaded, doesn't help.
Any ideas?

I have started using Luminar a few weeks back. I use it on my macbook. No issues with working on RAW files.

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,727 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 07, 2018 01:59 |  #5

Raw files will have no NR applied. You will either have to apply it manually or set up an input preset to do it for you.

Mark

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,277 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 11, 2018 10:23 |  #6

steve5823 wrote in post #18534998 (external link)
Any ideas?

No issues here (only tried a few 7Dmkii files though). Could these be mRaw or sRaw? Just a wild stab in the dark really.

If you want to send me a raw file to test on my Windows 10 PC im happy to help.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

steve5823
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017

Jan 11, 2018 14:56 |  #7

Appreciate the comments from you all.
I should have stated this is the PC version.
All pics are on the same CF card in the 7Dmkii. usually full RAW, some are Med Raw (as Canon calls it)
The Luminar tech support has been responsive, they have suggested some things to check, several
Microsoft files that they wanted to be sure I had the latest version.
I have uninstalled luminar several times and several computer restarts.
Most recently I took several pics and in RAW and downloaded them to my desktop and opened them in Luminar,...no problem.
Need to try more pics.

The previous RAW files that have been corrupted were first downloaded to the desktop and then to LR 5.
Then I opened the files in Luminar. Those are the ones that get corrupted. As I said before,
if I then save the file in LR as a jpg, then open that file in Luminar, no corruption problems.

I will try to attach a file that is corrupted it shows as a jpg, need to try to find the cr2 version.
Will see what I can do Dave-Bass5

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2018 05:43 |  #8

steve5823 wrote in post #18538831 (external link)
Appreciate the comments from you all.
I should have stated this is the PC version.
All pics are on the same CF card in the 7Dmkii. usually full RAW, some are Med Raw (as Canon calls it)
The Luminar tech support has been responsive, they have suggested some things to check, several
Microsoft files that they wanted to be sure I had the latest version.
I have uninstalled luminar several times and several computer restarts.
Most recently I took several pics and in RAW and downloaded them to my desktop and opened them in Luminar,...no problem.
Need to try more pics.

The previous RAW files that have been corrupted were first downloaded to the desktop and then to LR 5.
Then I opened the files in Luminar. Those are the ones that get corrupted. As I said before,
if I then save the file in LR as a jpg, then open that file in Luminar, no corruption problems.

I will try to attach a file that is corrupted it shows as a jpg, need to try to find the cr2 version.
Will see what I can do Dave-Bass5
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by steve5823 in
./showthread.php?p=185​38831&i=i176700325
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Viewing and even working on a CR2 file in Lr is a read only operation, as it should be for any other converter except DPP. The image that you see on screen when in the Library module is also a JPEG, one of the ones held in the My_catalogue_namePrevi​ews.lrdata folder structure.

Lr will write data to a file on occasion, you can get it to write certain EXIF metadata fields to the actual file, instead of just holding them in the database. That can include the text list of edit settings for those file types that will allow that, .dng springs to mind for RAW formats, and JPEG and TIFF for RGB files. To get Lr to do this though you have to specifically tell it to, especially with a CR2 file.

If the files are still in the location that you uploaded them to, and they still work fine if you do something other than just view the image in Lr, I would try exporting them again because if they export OK it will require Lr to actually read the file to complete the operation, then there is nothing wrong with the data in the file. If opening them in Luminar is still causing problems I would be looking at Luminar, not Adobe for the cause.

You could also download RawDigger (external link), which is a really good RAW file analysis program. I would trust it to show me if there were any data corruption in a RAW file.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luminar 2018 and RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.