Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jan 2018 (Monday) 05:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF100-400 L IS USM service manual

matttt
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by matttt.

Jan 08, 2018 05:26 |  #1

Hello all,
i publiced the following story on anther forum, but to improve my changes, i'll also post it here.

Hours and hours i spend time on finding a service manual of the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens. No luck so far.

I bought the lens togehter with a eos7d camera, and got the lens as a gift from the seller.

It was full of dust, sand, and lots of fungus, and totaly stucked.

At this moment i was pretty succesfull. Got all the glas clean. Managed to get it all back togehter, until the last lens group. I do have a couple of screws left, and i am not able to focus the lens manual, but i think thats just a detail. I do have a very optimistic character :-))))

This week i bought at aliexpress 1500 tiny screws, wich i am sorting out now. I do need some screws that i had to drill out of the lens. I was vey happy to see that this screws are in my mix package, since i saw prices of about $10,- for just 1 screw on ebay.

I did test the pcb board, and to my disappointment it didn't show any sign of live. If i will have a little change to repair my lens, i do need a service manual, included with the electrical lay out.

So far i did find 1 importand component of the pcb, the MB3776A, a power supply controller. I am very happy i found it, couse that gives me at least the change to check the power part from the pcb.

It would be a great, great help for me, if someone has a service maual from this lens, and is willing to share it with me.

A small fee would be no problem, but since all people who i contacted so far, like Canon Netherlands, told me i have a very, very, very little change to get it back to work, so i don't want to spent much money on it.

The whole project is a big chalange to me, but so far i enjoyed all the hours i spend in it, seeing i do make progress in the whole repairing proces.

BTW.....happy 2018 to all the readers of my repairing story.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,914 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 08, 2018 07:24 |  #2

I found a PARTS LIST (external link) for the lens, but no service manual. You might want to search for member ROGER CICALA who blogs for Lensrentals. He has done extensive testing on just about every lens made.

Welcome to POTN.

Mark

matttt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 08, 2018 18:44 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #3

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I already found the 9 pages parts list, but thats not detailed enough, and it has no info about the PCB.
I' ll wait a bit, to see if i do get some responce in this forum, and if not, i can try to contact Roger Cicale.

Thanks again for your reply. Have a nice day.

Marti

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2018 11:54 |  #4

Hello, Marti!

matttt wrote in post #18536136 (external link)
. . . . . like Canon Netherlands, told me i have very, very, very change i got it back to work, . . . .

I have read this and read it again and again and again, and I still can't understand what you are saying. . Could you please clarify?

rrblint wrote in post #18536176 (external link)
You might want to search for member ROGER CICALA who blogs for Lensrentals. He has done extensive testing on just about every lens made.

This is extremely good advice - I cannot think of anyone more qualified to help you with your repair ..... nor anyone who would have a more helpful attitude. . Roger's the man!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,442 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Jan 10, 2018 12:10 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18537904 (external link)
Hello, Marti!

matttt wrote in post #18536136 (external link)
. . . . . like Canon Netherlands, told me i have very, very, very change i got it back to work, . . . .

I have read this and read it again and again and again, and I still can't understand what you are saying. . Could you please clarify?.

Canon Netherlands told him he has very little chance to get it back to work.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

matttt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by matttt. (4 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2018 15:05 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #6

Sorry Tom, my english is not that good, but mostly i can make my selves understandable.

Right now i see that I did forget a word in my sentence

. . . . . like Canon Netherlands, told me i have very, very, very LITTLE change i gEt it back to work, . . . .

That kind of expressions trigger my stuborness. What....they say i will not get it back to work?...Hmm...I'll show them.... :-)
Thats how a build my own satallite receiver and dish back in 1982. A couple of HAM's (Radio Amateurs) laughed out loud when i told them that i was planning to build it my selves......
They never appologized when i showed them RAI1 12 months later right our of the sky..........
I build my own receiver, downconverter and dish (d=200cm, about 6 feet), and remember that it was not that easy, like now days, to get the needed information .

matttt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by matttt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2018 15:14 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #7

Thanks Tom and Archibald.

Its a nice thing photography-on-the.net lets you edit old posts. I hope i did get out the most failures that where in it.

Marti

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 28, 2018 12:59 |  #8

Just some pictures to show what i am busy with.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 28, 2018 13:02 |  #9

More how it was.............

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 28, 2018 13:04 |  #10

And now how far i did got....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by johny55.

Jan 28, 2018 13:07 |  #11

And now i desperate need at least the electrical drawing. There is communication between camera and lens, and form lens back to camera, but a part of the PCB is death.
If someone is able to help me with a service manual, or at least the electrical part of it....it would not only make my day...it would make my month...

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,948 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 28, 2018 13:09 |  #12

johny55 wrote in post #18551008 (external link)
Just some pictures to show what i am busy with.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by johny55 in
./showthread.php?p=185​51008&i=i127008155
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by johny55 in
./showthread.php?p=185​51008&i=i210198286
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Is that rust (brown colour at top of photo).

Regarding earlier confusion - it was due to "change". Correct word is chance.

You seem determined so I think there's a good chance you will get it working, after you change some more parts :-)

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by johny55. (3 edits in all)

Jan 28, 2018 13:16 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #13

yep....rust....sand...​.aluminium oxide....funges...it had it all.
Its a hughe chalange to get it back to work, but i did got the lens for free. It was completly stucked. I had to use some force to get it open, and one never new if it was stucked, or if i did miss a small screw that prevented to open the lens. So far i didn't destroy anything extra.
My english is not that good, and not always in the mood to look for the decend translation.
I will see where i spelled chance wrong, and correct it.
I can't edit it....have to live with it. Gues the postage is to old.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,948 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 28, 2018 13:32 |  #14

johny55 wrote in post #18551021 (external link)
yep....rust....sand...​.aluminium oxide....funges...it had it all.
Its a hughe chalange to get it back to work, but i did got the lens for free. It was completly stucked. I had to use some force to get it open, and one never new if it was stucked, or if i did miss a small screw that prevented to open the lens. So far i didn't destroy anything extra.
My english is not that good, and not always in the mood to look for the decend translation.
I will see where i spelled chance wrong, and correct it.
I can't edit it....have to live with it. Gues the postage is to old.

No problem, I understood.

The lens will still be worth using even without working Autofocus or aperture blades.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

johny55
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by johny55.

Jan 28, 2018 13:36 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #15

I think aperture should work, because others there is no light control (i think)
Auto focus and Image stabilisation can be missed, but my goal is it to get it all back to work,

sponsored links

2,556 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon EF100-400 L IS USM service manual
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.