Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are photography forums an "old man's tool" now?

01Ryan10
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by 01Ryan10. (3 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2018 16:38 |  #1

In general, they are dying just the same as other forums. I feel the heyday of forums was late '90s until mid to late 2000s. I have no proof or evidence, but that's my observation and assumption. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of posts on this site are by people 40+ and older. Sure there are youngsters, but most of them use Instagram. I get the feeling "millenials" are not jumping into forums; thus, causing a slow death to forums in general. I've been using IG for a couple of years now too. I find it takes a lot of time to manage several forums, IG, and FB. Speaking of FB, I also think FB Groups have contributed to the demise of forums.

Opinions / thoughts?

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 6 months ago by DaviSto.

Jan 09, 2018 16:44 |  #2

What's it matter? Who gives a damn?

If a good number of presumably still sentient human beings find this and similar places a pleasant enough place to spend some time ... so what? If there's really insufficient interest, they will all die a natural death.

Honestly ... who cares?

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 09, 2018 16:46 |  #3

lol...for a second, I had to make sure I posted in the appropriate forum. I mean...it's just a topic of conversation.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,215 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by texkam.

Jan 09, 2018 16:49 |  #4

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=E5Q7CcINC8M (external link)

:oops:

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 09, 2018 16:49 |  #5

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18537354 (external link)
lol...for a second, I had to make sure I posted in the appropriate forum. I mean...it's just a topic of conversation.

... and you got just a conversational reply ...

Why fret so?

David.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 09, 2018 16:52 |  #6

Forums in general are mostly created and maintained by older generations (in general).

Most of today's bulk are now using social media platforms more than anything. And then there's more built in multi-facet forum-type outlets such as reddit which is also far more populated than any single forum out there.

It's normal though. Forums are ancient. They're very limiting. We are in the past already.

Think about this. Imagine if you could come to POTN and post any number of pictures, at any resolution, instantly, without the need for external hosting, with no post-limit triggered events, no time-triggered delays on things. Mean while, you had other people doing the same thing, just feeding out their work too. And isntead of you never seeing it unless you venture into one of the 100+ boards on POTN, it was instead simply a non-stop feed and you could contribute and comment or like/etc/follow any single thing and keep passing on things you don't care for, but at least you'd see it, and at least others would see your stuff (and it not just die a slow death in a less popular board on a forum that less people frequent). This is why people move on to social media platforms. Far more people are using it. They get more response. Far less people use forums. Far less stick around on forums.

These days, it's all about FB/IG/YouTube and a dash of reddit if you want the deep response type people that traditionally would have been on a dedicated forum.

I love forums personally. But it's because it's what I knew since about 1991 when I started to actually get on the internet. I dislike social media for many reasons, but it doesn't mean I don't recognize that it's not just the future, but very much the present, and that I'm just living in the past in my comfort zone.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 09, 2018 16:56 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #7

Agree completely. But forums are great for people who like forums ... people who like to engage in mildly structured conversation about shared interests, I guess.

When there are too few left, they will die.

Does it matter?

David.

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 09, 2018 17:00 |  #8

On reflection, it's that subliminal image of an "old man's tool" that is bothering me more than anything else ... ;-)a

David.

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 09, 2018 17:00 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #18537363 (external link)
Forums in general are mostly created and maintained by older generations (in general).

Most of today's bulk are now using social media platforms more than anything. And then there's more built in multi-facet forum-type outlets such as reddit which is also far more populated than any single forum out there.

It's normal though. Forums are ancient. They're very limiting. We are in the past already.

Think about this. Imagine if you could come to POTN and post any number of pictures, at any resolution, instantly, without the need for external hosting, with no post-limit triggered events, no time-triggered delays on things. Mean while, you had other people doing the same thing, just feeding out their work too. And isntead of you never seeing it unless you venture into one of the 100+ boards on POTN, it was instead simply a non-stop feed and you could contribute and comment or like/etc/follow any single thing and keep passing on things you don't care for, but at least you'd see it, and at least others would see your stuff (and it not just die a slow death in a less popular board on a forum that less people frequent). This is why people move on to social media platforms. Far more people are using it. They get more response. Far less people use forums. Far less stick around on forums.

These days, it's all about FB/IG/YouTube and a dash of reddit if you want the deep response type people that traditionally would have been on a dedicated forum.

I love forums personally. But it's because it's what I knew since about 1991 when I started to actually get on the internet. I dislike social media for many reasons, but it doesn't mean I don't recognize that it's not just the future, but very much the present, and that I'm just living in the past in my comfort zone.

Very best,

Why is it that every non-image post you make is the most eloquent thing I've read on a forum that day? :lol:

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 09, 2018 17:02 |  #10

DaviSto wrote in post #18537368 (external link)
On reflection, it's that subliminal image of an "old man's tool" that is bothering me more than anything else ... ;-)a

I figured as much with your 90 year old response. :twisted:

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 09, 2018 17:08 |  #11

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18537373 (external link)
I figured as much with your 90 year old response. :twisted:

OK ... I am ancient ... but believe me I am not that ancient. Out of respect to both of us, I will make no reference to anybody's tool kit.

David.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 09, 2018 17:09 |  #12

DaviSto wrote in post #18537349 (external link)
What's it matter? . Who gives a damn?
Honestly ... who cares?

I do. . I care. . I actually care quite a bit.

This forum is a big part of my life, something in which I find immeasurable value. . If it were to diminish, or end, my life and my happiness would be negatively impacted.

I also care about the demographics of those I converse with. . It matters to me whether I am talking with a bunch of old fogies, young people, middle aged people, or a mixture of all three.

When a regular poster does not post for a while, I check their activity status, and if I see they haven't been on the site for a while, I send them a PM to let them know that they are missed. . If I don't get a response to the PM, after a few weeks or months I try to find them elsewhere on the internet to reconnect with them and find out what they've been up to. . This has led to several good, meaningful emails and some good long phone conversations. . People matter, and they always will ...... even if they are just "online friends".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2018 17:11 |  #13

DaviSto wrote in post #18537366 (external link)
Agree completely. But forums are great for people who like forums ... people who like to engage in mildly structured conversation about shared interests, I guess.

When there are too few left, they will die.

Does it matter?

I think it does matter, just depends on each person's use/need/want out of a forum. I love forums, I'm on them all the time, on several. But I know that eventually I'll have to make that leap to social media platforms or I'll be having conversations with like the same 5~8 people, ever. That could be ok. But, at certain ages, it becomes a problem. A lot of people are not just hobbyists and mild enthusiasts looking for an outlet to share and learn from, but trying to build something larger (such as a business). A single dominating personality on this forum who rides every post nearly, every day, can totally drown out others for new folk to the forum (this is common amongst all forums). We all can name a few. Now imagine if you had the same thing, but instead of only 3~4 other people to chime in on a subject as well, you had 300~400 people instead. And if you were doing more than just playing around, talking shop and gear, being a hobbyist and enthusiast and you were trying to push your work more, or to professionally promote, a forum platform is the literal last place to look.

That said, I really dislike Facebook in general. Instagram is just a more media-monetized branch of Facebook (since they own it). And there's really not much else that has the volume of users at this time to compete with those two combined, other than YouTube. There are other large volume sites that are similar to forums but larger and more modern, such as reddit, but everything else is ultra-niche, POTN being a great example of that (as POTN isn't just a photography forum, but even in its present form, it's still very much high volume for Canon-centric information, so this is basically a Canon-enthusiast-forum if you were to sum it up with data to support what actually constitutes the volume here. And frankly, the activity here is slow. You can watch virtually nothing happen at certain hours. Yet, you can go on a Facebook group, and there are not just a few Canon-centric ones, but nearly countless groups, and you can get into a few of those large groups and have constant content feed at all hours from around the world. Some people want that.

I dabbled in a FB group once. I got banned eventually. I'm not surprised though. The group had hundreds of people in it, and it was very active. But the group administrators were clearly just a team of friends/colleagues, and if you challenged any photographic input they had, or showed images that gathered more attention than theirs, and said anything about the silly calendar they constantly spammed to the group to get sales, you would earn yourself some time off real quick. There are some really bad groups on FB that are basically just platforms for someone's personal ego and/or monetary monopoly. There are far better ones, I'm sure. But that sort of experience doesn't leave one wanting to do it all over again and again. Forums are more civil in my experience in general. FB groups are generally full of absolute chaos unless they're closed and very heavily moderated (which gets real hard when there are hundreds of active users). But, the FB group has more active people on it, like many of them, because it's simply easier to access it from a phone and interact from the phone in an app. You have to have a dedicated keyboard to do any significant word-smithing in a forum. Social media just makes it faster, easier, so there are more people. Significantly more.

Again, I prefer forums, but I cannot deny the overwhelming nature of social media platforms that have already taken over. It's so valid that people make money doing it (Instagram, YouTube). Forums cannot compete, they're not even recognized at that point.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 09, 2018 17:29 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #14

Yes ... I get this completely. And the forum is important to me too, although I am still a relative newbie. And I get the idea that it is a community and actually feel part of it.

I do feel some fellowship with a group of people I have never met (with their various imperfect personalities) and I do feel concern for their well-being. You yourself disappeared for a while not too many weeks ago and I was checking around and on the point of sending out an internet search party. Then you popped back up.

All I meant when I said that it doesn't matter and who should give a damn was that, as long as enough of us are interested, the forum will live on. And when too few are interested, it will die. In the grander scheme of things, it doesn't really matter ... and it certainly isn't worth a provocatively titled discussion thread!

David.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 09, 2018 17:29 |  #15

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18537346 (external link)
In general, they are dying just the same as other forums.

I get the feeling "millennials" are not jumping into forums; thus, causing a slow death to forums in general. I've been using IG for a couple of years now too. I also think FB Groups have contributed to the demise of forums.

Opinions / thoughts?

I think that your premise is correct.

I am on Facebook but only participate a little bit. . Why? . Because the whole format of FB doesn't really facilitate topic-based discussions that get very detailed and lengthy.

When I want to go to the internet to discuss something, I want my brain to really dig into something very deeply, and I want enough content on that very topic to keep my brain there for a long time. . FB doesn't facilitate this very well. . In fact, it seems that FB and other social media are set up to do the opposite - like they presume that most people just want to see the tip of an iceberg and then move on to another thing and see the tip of that iceberg, and then move on again .... repeat, repeat, repeat.

Forums are set up to much better facilitate lengthy posts and long, detailed discussions in which the participants can have the space to really develop their points completely. . For those of us who love to belabor things over time and with great detail, forums are the way to go. . Social media is, like, for people with bad attention spans who always think that something has "run its course" after just a few days.

Additionally, I really care about the way that my posts are formatted. . Most social media sites don't give you enough options when it comes to spacing, text size, quoting other members' content, etc. . This is one of the main reasons that I don't post there often - because there is no way to make all of my content appear precisely the way I want it to appear.

Most young people - a.k.a. "millennials" - do not seem to care very much about such things. . Heck, they don't even care about spelling all of their words correctly!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

3,977 views & 85 likes for this thread
Are photography forums an "old man's tool" now?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.