Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 22:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
7,950 posts
Gallery: 1514 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 09, 2018 22:27 |  #1

Folks I got my replacement laptop (as I disscussed on the computer section) and had to reinstall Lightroom, PS CS2 and Topaz denoise, and not to mention several thousand pic files, anyway I have been settling things down - installed my licence key in both LR5 and PS CS2, but after trying things out my LR looks like it is not at its best certainly not as good as my previous install on my other laptop.
I was wondering could there be a problem with my RAW files as theu were opened first on my old install of LR5 on my old laptop, then saved from my hdd and transfered over my a sd card and loaded onto my hdd in my new laptop.
Also with LR I downloaded of the links I was given from one of our fellow members, and after instalation I imputed my original licence key.

Any ideas folks please.

Pagman.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,950 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 09, 2018 23:05 |  #2

The reason I ask about raw files - are they always the same as when they came out the camera, or do they get altered by different raw opening software like lightroom, and when you move them around in and out of different comps and installs of lightroom, could the basic raw file be changed?

P.

Some stuff.

nardes
Goldmember
1,051 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by nardes.

Jan 09, 2018 23:26 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #3

I would guess that Raw Files would not change no matter how many times the Raw File is copied from PC to PC.

You would usually have to use Canon’s DPP or a Raw Converter to make any changes and then save those changes (typically as say a .TIF, .PSD, .JPG, etc.).

What is likely to change from Laptop to Laptop is how the (same) Raw Data is displayed on the screen of the Laptop. I know that there is a significant difference between how Raw Files appear on my Desktop PC with a BenQ 32” LCD and my ASUS Laptop – the rendering on the Laptop is definitely “inferior” as a visual representation of the Raw File.

But, when I open the same (copied) Raw File on my Desktop PC, when displayed on the BenQ LCD, it looks so much better.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,063 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 09, 2018 23:27 |  #4

What did you do with the LR Catalogue?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

drmaxx
918 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2018 01:30 |  #5

LR does not change the raw files, but saves all the changes either in the internal database or then in xmp sidecar files (depending on your settings). Copying filed might introduce errors, but they are random and hardly produce a slightly worse look.
The way you describe things, you either have an issue with your color calibration of your new laptop or then you lost your edit information of your LR catalogue (as digital paradise is hinting on).

Donate if you love POTN

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2018 07:34 |  #6

You will have to make sure that the folder structure of the RAW files is the same as on the old system. Then you will need to find the copy of your catalogue file. It will have a name in the format My_catalogue.lrcat. The easiest way to find it is to go to the Edit tab on the toolbar in Lr and select Catalogue settings. In the General tab it tells you the location, and file name of the catalogue. If you click the show button it will take you to the folder in Windows Explorer. Or you could open Windows explorer and search for *.lrcat.

You will need to transfer that file to your new computer and start using it as your catalogue. If you start with Lr closed and double click the transferred .lrcat file you will start using the new catalogue. By default Lr is set to use the last catalogue, so after that you can start Lr in the normal way. If the folder structure for the RAW files is identical to the old system Lr should now just show you all of the images with the preexisting edits as well as any metadata you added in Lr.

If you get image missing notices, then your folder structure is different, or they are starting in a top level folder which is in a slightly different place. If it is just the top level placement that is different you can easily fix this, click on the option to find image files and navigate to the top level folder for your images. Find the image file that matches the file name for your current image exactly and select it. There should also be an option to find nearby files. Ensure that this is also selected. If the rest of the folder structure is the same as the old computer it should find all of the images. If not you will have to do this for each folder that is in a different relative place to where it was on the old computer.

When you install Lr on a new system, or even if you have to reinstall it, part of the process is to create a new catalogue. So you will have to ensure that you start it with the old catalogue to see your existing work.

I'm pretty sure I warned you about needing to do this as part of the transfer process. Or at least you should keep the RAW files in the same folder structure, and to move your existing .lrcat file to the new machine as part of the transfer process in your other thread.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,950 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2018 13:24 |  #7

Thank you for all your replies,
I did save and transfer over my LR catalogue (it didn't matter though as I dont keep or view LR saved work - its immediatly converted to a jpeg and kept on my hdd for picture viewing)

The only dispaly difference is the screen - my new one is a Tosh Truebrite hd gloss screen, my old one was a Tosh flat screen, both the same resolution and graphics model.

P.

Some stuff.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,081 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2018 15:13 |  #8

Pagman wrote in post #18537949 (external link)
Thank you for all your replies,
I did save and transfer over my LR catalogue (it didn't matter though as I dont keep or view LR saved work - its immediately converted to a jpeg and kept on my hdd for picture viewing)

The only display difference is the screen - my new one is a Tosh Truebrite hd gloss screen, my old one was a Tosh flat screen, both the same resolution and graphics model.

P.

Have you calibrated the monitor on your new laptop? If not, that could be your issue.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,950 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2018 15:20 |  #9

Scott M wrote in post #18538071 (external link)
Have you calibrated the monitor on your new laptop? If not, that could be your issue.

I calibrated it using the installed win 7 tool.

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

1,279 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.