Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A boy and his guitar

swbkrun
Goldmember
1,088 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 10, 2018 00:38 |  #1

I like the concept on this, but more or less guitar? Less blur, thoughts overall?

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Children/Avery-and-Blake-2018/i-RkfqvML/0/0ca6d1c5/X2/0U6A0369-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/0U6A0369-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,260 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 13, 2018 12:48 |  #2

I'm not getting the concept here. I get the juxtaposition of the toddler's hands on the strings. Maybe it's the first step to becoming a rock star some day. It lacks impact without a face attached to the hands. To me the closer hand is a distraction. The one grasping the strings implies what attracted the child's attention. The other one is superfluous.

From a technical perspective, I think depth of field is the photographer's choice. In this case it does draw attention to the key hand. But it doesn't rescue the shot enough. I would position the guitar next time so that the beige bar at the top was not blocking off part of the body. It looks like it was shoved under a couch.

Think about acquiring an outfit with a musical theme instead of firetrucks.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,088 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 15, 2018 21:08 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #3

What no firetrucks? What 9 month old doesn't like fire trucks :-P

Only playing. Thank you for taking the time to get back to me! I appreciate it.

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,335 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2018 17:57 |  #4

Less blur idea is resonating with me. :-)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 22, 2018 18:23 |  #5

kf095 wrote in post #18543366 (external link)
Less blur idea is resonating with me. :-)

^^^^
very clever!!!
:lol: :-P ;-)a

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 22, 2018 18:33 |  #6

swbkrun wrote in post #18537628 (external link)
I like the concept on this, but more or less guitar? Less blur, thoughts overall?

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/0U6A0369-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

---
I actually really like this concept.
This image is something that you and your family will treasure as the child grows up, you can look back at this very fondly.
You could use this for a 'playgroup'/birthday invitation/greetings card.

To answer your question: looking at this 'under-the-microscope' - I suggest that it is not a question of 'more/less' guitar.
1.> To me, the shape of the guitar has merged with the wooden floor. This is detracting from the desired impact that you are trying to create.
2.> Between the two hands, there seems to be a "line" anomaly --> the guitar string is covering the right-hand thumb, but, it disappears?!?

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links

851 views & 0 likes for this thread
A boy and his guitar
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.