Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheetahstand No Longer selling lights

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2018 16:50 |  #1

Its a sad day for me. Ed Tang is a great guy but he has decided to go another direction and cheetahstand will be a repair facility for Godox products and they will become a great light modifier company. They have a lot of great mods for the lights.

Check his website as he has some great Prices going to clear out inventory

Cheetastand got the ball rolling and changed the game with the Cl-180 and Cl-360 introductions from Godox. Ed was the only guy that really stood behind the products and understood what pro wedding photographers really needed to do the job.

If you want to Buy Godox products, These are the USA distributors that I Know of.

Michael Mowbray (GoMoLight.com)

Tim Payne (Flashgear.net) - They offer 2 yr warranty on the products

Both these guys are pro photographers and use the products

Adorama or B&H if you want a bigger operation.

Adorama and B&H will be exclusive dealers for the new Godox pro 600 ( from what I have been told)

Additionally, from what I have been told, the CL-360 is not going anywhere. In my opinion its one of the best lights on the market.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
831 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 10, 2018 17:41 |  #2

Wonder why.. they demand he hold more inventory than he wants...?

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2018 18:21 |  #3

Angmo wrote in post #18538213 (external link)
Wonder why.. they demand he hold more inventory than he wants...?

Have no idea. Only Ed knows for sure

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by dmward. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2018 23:21 |  #4

I worked with Edward to get the early 180 light to work in HSS mode with Canon cameras. I still have the Cells II transceivers that Godox hacked to get the code were it needed to be for production. (Maybe they should be in a museum somewhere. :-) )

I also worked with him to perfect the Sony and Fuji TTL firmware for Godox.

Long story short, he did a lot of R&D for Godox that eventually benefited Adorama and B&H.

The unfortunate reality with OEM manufacturers like Godox is that the larger volume orders drive the production line.

Many moons ago, I could jump over a dozen smaller resellers with a single 90 day order for OEM product, simply because we wanted more.

Chinese OEM manufacturers sell everything FOB their factory dock. It take a substantial financial commitment to place a large order, get the deeper discount and then provide local warranty support.

I applaude Edward for his vision and dedication to creating a product line that benefits photographers.

We all have a better X system because of his efforts. I doubt that Adorama or B&H would have bothered.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

fotopaul
479 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jan 11, 2018 03:18 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #18538427 (external link)
Long story short, he did a lot of R&D for Godox that eventually benefited Adorama and B&H.

I hope that he got well compensated from Godox.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2018 09:42 |  #6

fotopaul wrote in post #18538482 (external link)
I hope that he got well compensated from Godox.

That's something on which he'd have to comment.
I do know I pressed him long and hard about incorporating TTL into the 180/360 and when I moved from Canon to Sony pressed him to have Godox add Sony to the X system.
I'm not taking any credit, he kept telling me Godox would do things at their own pace, but I did know that he was talking to Godox senior executives on continuing basis, so I kept making my pitch.

I also pitched Pocket Wizard and Paul Buff to add HSS to the Einstein when I was beta testing the Pocket Wizard Einstein trigger. They kept telling me it was too difficult to achieve.

A Chinese OEM manufacturer, with Edward's help and encouragement, accomplished it.

We're all better off for his effort.

Thanks Edward.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2018 09:43 |  #7

Just to clarify for everyone

Godox has exclusive contracts with Adorama and B&H to sell the new pro 600 units. You can only get these through Adorama and B&H.

Adorama also has exclusive contracts to sell the current 600 with TTL. That can only be purchased through Adorama as well.

Michael Mowbray and Tim Payne have put out posts confirming this and they will continue to sell the current Godox line ups minus the new released 600 units.

If you need TTL you have to go to Adorama or B&H

This includes the non TTL 600

the current 36011
the current 200 units
the current speedlight line up

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2018 09:45 |  #8

Ha :p :p :p

I fully expect Paul buff to pull a pocket wizard and go out of business

Man did they ever miss the boat on this

Major screw up in my opinion

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

RandallB
300 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 11, 2018 13:27 |  #9

I believe Vistek in Canada will also carry the "pro" unit.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

kickmaster
530 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 11, 2018 20:33 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #10

Don't throw PCB in the river just yet. I fully expect them to release a TTL/HSS.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2018 22:38 |  #11

kickmaster wrote in post #18539049 (external link)
Don't throw PCB in the river just yet. I fully expect them to release a TTL/HSS.

There is no technical reason they couldn't do it.
It comes down to engineering resources and perceived market.

Godox used a really smart approach to TTL. It appears that they wrote a protocol translator that is the interface between each camera manufacturer's propriety TTL protocols and the Godox TTL protocol. By using that approach they are able to have a single device (flash unit) interoperate with TTL protocols from multiple proprietary camera TTL signals.

i.e a Canon version V860II can accept and respond to TTL signals from a Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, or Nikon camera via an X system trigger on the camera.

I'm not sure how many in the photographic community understand the value that offers Godox compared to others.

SamFrench
844 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by SamFrench. (2 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2018 23:37 |  #12

dmward wrote in post #18539125 (external link)
There is no technical reason they couldn't do it.
It comes down to engineering resources and perceived market.

Godox used a really smart approach to TTL. It appears that they wrote a protocol translator that is the interface between each camera manufacturer's propriety TTL protocols and the Godox TTL protocol. By using that approach they are able to have a single device (flash unit) interoperate with TTL protocols from multiple proprietary camera TTL signals.

i.e a Canon version V860II can accept and respond to TTL signals from a Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, or Nikon camera via an X system trigger on the camera.

I'm not sure how many in the photographic community understand the value that offers Godox compared to others.

Also of note, Cactus has taken a similar approach, AND they managed to bring off camera TTL to even their couple of year old and discontinued manual RF60 speedlite after they said only the newer replacement manual RF60X would be blessed with the initially unexpected off camera multi brand TTL (X-TTL) functionality. Cactus allows for mixing and matching most brands of cameras and flashes when used with the V6II transceivers. Got a Sigma camera and an Olympus flash? No problem. Note that all brands in the Cactus X-TTL system have not been fully implemented quite yet.

nixland
496 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2018 23:43 |  #13

Maybe its time for them to promote Orlit or Jinbei?
The more player on the market, more competition, the better. :)

nixland
496 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2018 23:43 |  #14

Any progress on Yongnuo? :D

SamFrench
844 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 11, 2018 23:48 |  #15

nixland wrote in post #18539158 (external link)
Any progress on Yongnuo? :D

Who? :-)

sponsored links

5,477 views & 21 likes for this thread
Cheetahstand No Longer selling lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.