Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 17:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint Zoom TTL r2 - n "A" setting in i-TTL Autoflash modde

High ­ Desert
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Jan 11, 2018 17:22 |  #1

Received my new flash yesterday and have been going through the manual and controls on the flash. After several stumbles, got most of things worked out. But, I have one setting, that for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change, or find any information on how to change. When you set up the flash to the mode of "i-TTL" you have a window that shows the flash in the M (manual) or A (auto) position. Mine is in manual stays in manual, and I have not found a button or wheel that I can select that will change it from M to A. I wanted to start with the flash in auto, so I can start to get comfortable with it and then move to manual and other settings. This is the first serious flash I have had in many years, so either I am going through a big learning curve, cant figure out the manual, or dumber than a box of rocks! On the other hand, is it a big deal to have the flash in the i-TTL mode and M selected, or is this just the way the flash modes are setup?? Mike,

inkista
568 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2018 20:34 |  #2

High Desert wrote in post #18538920 (external link)
... I have one setting, that for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change, or find any information on how to change. When you set up the flash to the mode of "i-TTL" you have a window that shows the flash in the M (manual) or A (auto) position.

Ah. That's probably for the zoom control. Zoom is about how far back or towards the front of the fresnel panel the flash tube is in the head. The farther back, the tighter and more focused the beam becomes; the farther the light can go, but the narrower the coverage. The Zoom settings is given in focal-length mm because the spread of that setting should match the FoV of that length lens. But. Different sensor sizes/crop factors can sometimes muck that up.

With the zoom mode, M means you can explicitly set a specific zoom setting to control the "spread" of the light, and A means that whatever focal length is currently be used on the camera body will be used to set the spread on the light.

I have not found a button or wheel that I can select that will change it from M to A.

Hit the Zm/C.Fn "soft" button (left-most of the four), and spin the wheel counter clockwise. A will be set when you go below 20mm.

I wanted to start with the flash in auto, so I can start to get comfortable with it and then move to manual and other settings.

Well, the big automatic setting you probably want is iTTL, not M, which you've already found with the MODE button. :)

... is it a big deal to have the flash in the i-TTL mode and M selected, or is this just the way the flash modes are setup??

It's two different settings, so which one makes more sense depends on what/how you're shooting. On-camera, it's probably better to have iTTL/A set. But off-camera, most folks would probably use M/M. With off-camera flash, if you are using multiple flashes at different placements, having them all use the same zoom setting may not make sense.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

High ­ Desert
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Jan 12, 2018 15:33 |  #3

Problem solved! I never had an issue with the manual zoom, as that worked perfectly. I was trying to get to the auto zoom to match lens length automatically. I have spent several days chasing this and finally stumbled across how to change from manual to auto. What you do is press each button , next to the RST, on the top row of buttons concurrently and the flash changes over to auto from manual. Now, why could this not be written in the manual or somewhere??? But, now I know a whole lot more about the flash than I did before so I guess there is an upside to stumbling around in the dark for a bit. Thx to all who posted to assist. Mike,

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

711 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flashpoint Zoom TTL r2 - n "A" setting in i-TTL Autoflash modde
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.