Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good travel camera for cousin?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,618 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2018 19:07 |  #1

I realize a bit of a weird question on a canon-heavy forum, but my cousin is looking to upgrade her point and shoot mainly for travel.

She pointed out the. Cannon t6, but I worry it's not great because she'll ultimately find it too bulky plus I worry about the mirror and her not ultimately seeing the shot as-is - things may end up too dark or light without her realizing or able to adjust.

I wonder if maybe a mirrorless is a good compromise or maybe a good point+shoot, if things like the rx100 can even be called that?

I don't see her getting into photography so I don't think she'd end up with multiple lenses and ideally it'd be a better/bigger focal range than the standard 18-55ish.

I'm most familiar with Canon myself and don't know too much about others. Any ideas or suggestions?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,247 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2018 19:46 |  #2

Sony A6000 seems a pretty good option; just recommended that for a decent kit as he was on his way to Africa and he came back with a good number of shots I'd be happy with out of my own gear. I know a couple of folks that are doing really nice work w/ the Fuji X-T2.

Coming out too dark, etc is going to happen regardless of the system she gets if she's leaving everything to the camera, realistically.

If it's bulk that's a worry and she'd be ok w/ an SLR, the Canon SL2 is a ridiculously tiny SLR body that is very well featured.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2018 19:47 |  #3

Canon SL2.
Smallest DSLR and uses all Canon lenses.

JIM

tdlavigne
329 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 16, 2018 01:37 |  #4

Any of the small mirrorless cameras would be good. Sony A6000, Panasonic GX85, Fuji X-E2, etc. Small so easy to carry and not have it be a burden, those 3 in particular have the EVF so you can see the actual exposure and not worry about over/under exposing, and all 3 have options for small, light lenses...or even pancakes if size is a big concern. All 3 would rival and probably best an entry level Canon dslr at this point as well.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,464 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 16, 2018 01:58 |  #5

EOS M5 with an 18-150mm lens = done... :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

manbhat
42 posts
Joined May 2017

Jan 16, 2018 02:33 |  #6

Sony a6000. Does good job if you want to travel light.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 16, 2018 07:37 |  #7

Mirrorless is great for someone who wants it smaller, this includes M4/3 formats too! They're quite good now.

For a travel camera, the camera you use is the one to take. So smaller, less obvious, less stuff to fiddle with, etc, is the way to go. Check out the Olympus M43 stuff. Check out Sony & Fuji APS-C. Focus on a single wide to standard zoom, or a single wider prime (if interchangeable) and call it a day with a mini tripod and some extra batteries.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2018 14:37 |  #8

You missed the ring which was the clear warning. ;-)a Your first (and most practical one) suggestion was already refused. So, my suggestion is to deal with this picky generation differently. Provide links to compact cameras reviews. Let the person to make choice and advice to ask your opinion. Then research on-line for user reviews (not just DPR reviews) to find out if it is good choice and provide real users feed back back. :)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,668 posts
Gallery: 232 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 17, 2018 14:45 |  #9

One of the RX100 versions. Light weight, unobtrusive, pocketable, excellent quality. But they are expensive.

Or the SL2 as others have suggested. The older SL1 is also excellent, and is smaller and lighter. Not pocketable, though.

Or who knows what your friend might like.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Scottboarding
515 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined May 2016

Jan 31, 2018 20:10 |  #10

Olympus E-M5 and the 12-50mm lens is fairly cheap, and it's very well weather sealed which can be handy depending on where she is traveling. It's not the most feature packed camera compared to the new M43 ones, but it's still more than enough for travel photos. The 24-100mm (equivalent) focal range should be plenty for just about anything except for something that would require extreme focal lengths, which she probably doesn't have on her P&S. I love my E-M1, and despite having a smaller sensor than APS-C, the image quality is still quite good!

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,953 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 01, 2018 10:08 |  #11

Consider a Bridge Camera, such as the Canon SX-50HS or an offering from Panasonic, Sony or other makers.

Compact, decent image quality, simple to use and you don't have to buy or carry extra lenses...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

PNPhotography
778 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2018 17:18 |  #12

My Nikon d5500 is my travel camera.LOVE IT!!

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

squashed
Goldmember
3,872 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 01, 2018 17:43 |  #13

Big camera's stay home, A6000 goes on vacation!

1D MK IV and a 5D MK IV with stuffing...
Sony A6000 added to the mess !
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 6 months ago by DaviSto.

Feb 01, 2018 17:49 |  #14

If she just wants to step up from a point and shoot but is unlikely to have enough interest/motivation to build a set of lenses, I'd advise a decent bridge camera That keeps things very simple, gives her a wide range of focal lengths and will be light and easy to carry.

Since the one thing you are definitively not doing when you buy a bridge camera is buying/investing into a system, she should get whatever model of whatever brand seems like the best deal available at the moment.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

936 views & 2 likes for this thread
Good travel camera for cousin?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.