Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first attempt at M42...

tuffty
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 15, 2018 16:13 |  #16

jim9449 wrote in post #18564610 (external link)
SkyWatcher Star Adventurer tracking mount does it cope with your camera and lens setup ok?

It did for that image but I have been out since and was getting what looked like star trails... I first thought my polar alignment was off so redid it three times...

I did a series of 20 1 minute subs just to see what the results would be like and they were variable... once I looked at the images closely though the stars weren't so much trailing but looked more like shake...

Dawned on me then that I really should have used the counter weight...

Did a test setup in the house using the counter weight and rotation is as light as a feather... so there in lay the problem lol

Just waiting on a clear night again so I can go out and have another stab at it...

Guess I got real lucky the first time lol..

<tuffty/>

sponsored links
jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 15, 2018 16:19 as a reply to  @ tuffty's post |  #17

Thanks, tuffty was just wondering about the weight of your kit as I hope to get a tracker in the near future for my 6D and Sigma 120-300
Jim

tuffty
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 15, 2018 16:52 |  #18

jim9449 wrote in post #18564638 (external link)
Thanks, tuffty was just wondering about the weight of your kit as I hope to get a tracker in the near future for my 6D and Sigma 120-300
Jim

According to the manual the maximum payload is 5kg... combined weight of the 7d2 and 100-400L is a little over 2.5kg...

The issue I had was one of balance.. the counter weight will put less stress on the motor and prevent shake which is the issue I had

Its a great tool though and shows what can be done on a small budget with your existing kit :)

<tuffty/>

jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 16, 2018 16:50 as a reply to  @ tuffty's post |  #19

Could be OK with the weight my setup is 3.9kg
Jim

jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 25, 2018 16:35 as a reply to  @ tuffty's post |  #20

tuffty
Got me a Star Adventure, you said about adding the counterweight could you tell me how you balanced it with the camera set up?
Jim

tuffty
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 26, 2018 01:38 |  #21

jim9449 wrote in post #18572134 (external link)
tuffty
Got me a Star Adventure, you said about adding the counterweight could you tell me how you balanced it with the camera set up?
Jim

basically need to polar align the mount, use the counter weight bracket and mount the camera, point the camera at your subject then slacken off the lock ring... you then move the counter weight up and down until the assembly doesn't try to rotate under the weight of either the camera or the counter weight...

Found this useful as a basic setup guide.. the supplied docs make it sound harder than it is... all you need is an app

https://youtu.be/g58Tq​YUbhWY (external link)

Another useful link...
https://www.wexphotovi​deo.com …venturer-Review-Part-One/ (external link)

<tuffty/>

jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 27, 2018 02:44 |  #22

tuffty wrote in post #18572378 (external link)
basically need to polar align the mount, use the counter weight bracket and mount the camera, point the camera at your subject then slacken off the lock ring... you then move the counter weight up and down until the assembly doesn't try to rotate under the weight of either the camera or the counter weight...

Found this useful as a basic setup guide.. the supplied docs make it sound harder than it is... all you need is an app

https://youtu.be/g58Tq​YUbhWY (external link)

Another useful link...
https://www.wexphotovi​deo.com …venturer-Review-Part-One/ (external link)

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffy

Tried the tracker for the first tonight very bright moon 20 shots @90" stacked, not sure if it was tracking at the correct speed and was guessing were counterbalance should be, f4 ISO 400 200mm lens
Probably not polar aligned

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tuffty
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 27, 2018 03:15 as a reply to  @ jim9449's post |  #23

Tracking dial should be on the 'star' setting which should be the first click from off... make sure the slide switch is on 'N' as Ireland is in the northern hemisphere

Shooting in moonlight especially this close to a full moon will always be a problem but looking at the image there seems to be minimal star trails... its possible you were a bit off, takes a bit of getting used to but once you know where to look its not to bad a job (ignore what the manual goes on about and use an app)... you would get much more trailing at 200mm if you were way off polar alignment..

Excuse the mess (spare bedroom for storing the wifes shoes!) but here is a video I did when I set mine..

https://youtu.be/ltPRv​8YooSY (external link)

Bare in mind that the weight position along the slider will depend on position/weight of the camera/lens etc but you get the idea of what is deemed to be 'balanced'...

<tuffty/>

tuffty
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 27, 2018 06:23 |  #24

...oh yeah and... a lot of the effort to getting a good image is down to editing... the data for the detail is there, you just have to tease it out... takes a bit of practice as its really easy to over process astro images

<tuffty/>

jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 27, 2018 07:11 as a reply to  @ tuffty's post |  #25

That was 20 straight frames no darks, flats or bias, just want to see how it managed with the camera and lens, yes you are spot on editing is the key, Rome was not built in a day;-)a

jim9449
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 21, 2018 09:08 as a reply to  @ tuffty's post |  #26

tuffy this is my first serious effort at M42 (The Orion Nebula), using a Star Adventurer, Canon 6D, 200mm lens with 2x converter 27 frames, 13 dark, 15 light at Iso 1600, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker. Very much a beginner at Astrophotography
Jim

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

cmosman
443 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by cmosman.

Apr 09, 2018 07:32 |  #27

Stunning capture tuffty.

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

sponsored links

2,510 views & 54 likes for this thread
My first attempt at M42...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.