Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 22:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tethering Photos to Desktop

firme
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 22:55 |  #1

If not appropriate for posting here, let me know.

Want to be able to view the photos taken to the desktop. This is when photographing in home studio. I have a Canon 80D. I downloaded the EOS Utility and was successful in connecting, but I can't instantly see the pictures taken unless I download them to computer. Well unless I am doing the process incorrectly, I have to download and takes too long. Plus, not looking to do remote shooting. Not interested in that at all.

Now I do have an Ipad Mini I was able to install the EOS Utility and can see the photos when being taken. What I did notice is when I am looking at the last shot at full tablet screen, and I take another shot, the app doesn't load the new photo. In order for me to look at the new last photo, I have to go back to the group of pictures, then it loads them, then I can select the new last photo taken. This has been a bit annoying. I do use the tablet when shooting at location.

Now I know I can use the tablet at home studio, but since I do have a bigger monitor (desktop) and tv monitor (42"), I might as well take advantage and use them.

Is there a software other than EOS Utility where its strictly used for viewing photos being taken? I have seen videos, read where Lightroom is being used. I have not looked into that yet.

Also the desktop1 I have connected to is my main computer (recently purchased). I do have another desktop2 (older) that I would like for that purpose. Desktop1 is not near my studio area and don't plan to move it there. Also noticed when the camera is connect to desktop1, I loose internet. Desktop2, I can move to my studio area and use it for strictly viewing.

Thanks in advanced.

sponsored links
firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 23:04 |  #2

Fail to mention that when using EOS Utility 3 on desktop1, I am not able to have the live view option.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,854 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 19, 2018 23:44 |  #3

Are you tethering by WiFi? If so, try tethering with a USB cable. I don't have an 80d, but when I tethered with the 70d it was basically worthless to do it over WiFi. The USB cable worked much better.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 20, 2018 03:10 |  #4

Yes, was trying to tether wifi. I tried with the hdmi cable but nothing. Is it better with usb cord instead?

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 20, 2018 03:28 |  #5

Well, I just tried the usb and it does work. The live view works now and I can see the photos as they are being taken. Any idea why hdmi doesn't work. That sucks, but at least the usb works. It's a bummer the wifi doesn't work though. Would have been great if it works as I was really trying to avoid hardwire.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,854 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 20, 2018 10:32 |  #6

There is a program for remote control of the camera over Wifi that is supposed to work better than the Canon app. I have only read about it but I would think someone else may could fill you in on it. I know event photographers will use it but the times I have seen it done they were using a WiFi device, not the built in WiFi.

Of course other than no wires, it is not going to be better than tethering by USB.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 20, 2018 15:42 |  #7

Hopefully someone can tell me the name then. Would like to try it. Thanks for the help.

110yd
768 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by 110yd.

Jan 20, 2018 17:25 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #8

I use DSLR Controller with three different canon bodies. It has performed well with (7D MK II/5D MK III/5D MK II).
I use it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. The camera is connected by USB to a wireless router (TPLink TL-MR3040) about the size of
a package of cigarettes. From the tablet I can take photos, and change exposure settings, move the auto focus point.

Regards,

110yd

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 00:41 |  #9

Thanks for the program name. Does that program also allow you to view pictures when taken?

110yd
768 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 21, 2018 12:54 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #10

Yes Sir,
When you take a photo, it is transferred to the tablet display. You have options to view the photo on the tablet, and or store
your images. Note I am doing it with an Android tablet....I do not know the in's and outs if using an Apple Ipad.

Regards,

110yd

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 14:38 |  #11

I do have an LG android tablet. Will see how that works. Thanks for the tip.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,584 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 21, 2018 14:50 |  #12

If the capturing and live view to the desktop is the ultimate goal, Capture One has worked great for me. Lr is another good option.

With Capture One, naming and applying styles to each photo is very easy.

If working with wifi only, the canon app has been seamless in writting files to the card and downloading medium res files to the wifi device.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 15:45 |  #13

The main purpose is really to view pictures on a bigger "monitor" at home studio and tablet when on location. I did read and saw videos about Capture One. But as it is mentioned, it is a paid software and probably stick with LR as I already have it on computer.

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 29, 2018 17:16 |  #14

This is a crappy cell phone photo but just here to show I have experience in this realm. I do event photos tethered all the time.

The image below is a setup we use. The camera is tethered to a computer via Camranger in share mode. The table on the stand is an iPad pro running camranger share utility. We use the ipad so the client can see their images and pick the one they want for their package.

The exact same setup can be done with qDslrDashboard which we have also used ( https://dslrdashboard.​info/ (external link) ). qDlsrDashboard has some driver issues with windows when connected via USB but works fine with Mac's. Wireless connect works well with either.

Both systems use the same TP-link router as the wireless tether device. CamRanger is turnkey and still being worked on. qDslrDashboard you have to setup the router yourself. It also appears to have stalled in development but not really sure it needs more work.

Both systems have their quirks. If you have any technical skills dashboard is a cheap way to go. If you want turnkey and support CamRanger is your ticket.

I really don't like doing USB tether. I have a shattered lens that told me no more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 30, 2018 21:17 |  #15

Thanks for the bts set up picture. This is something I would like to do as well. Where did you get the ipad holder/stand? Seems like I would not be able to go the camranger route. A little more than what I would like to spend.

Just out of curiosity, the green background on the ipad screen, is that for putting your own backgrounds?

sponsored links

1,721 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethering Photos to Desktop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.