Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 06:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Photos

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,237 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2018 14:04 |  #16

TheSandValor wrote in post #18545001 (external link)
. . . the theater was dark . . .

That makes getting good images tougher for anyone. There's excellent advice in some of the posts above, so I'll just add "Be not one bit discouraged."

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links
bob_r
Goldmember
2,398 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by bob_r.

Jan 20, 2018 14:16 |  #17

TheSandValor wrote in post #18544963 (external link)
Hi,
Today was my first time experiencing with an all Manual DSLR camera.
My little brother was preforming in his first theater show.

Considering this was an important event for the family, I don't think this was the time to learn to shoot in manual mode. I think this is especially true since the OP has only a mild understanding of the exposure triangle. The OP should have been practicing in manual mode long before attempting to use it in any important situation. When I started in photography, there were no options that allowed you to choose anything other than manual, so many of us old timers had to learn on the fly. That's not the case today and for this event, I believe he should have used either full auto or at least one of the semi-automatic modes if he had practiced with them to some degree before hand. If after getting a number of keepers in auto mode, he could have tried his hand in manual.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 20, 2018 15:14 |  #18

s1a1om wrote in post #18545250 (external link)
I vehemently disagree. It's good to know the general relationship between all the variables, but there's no need to select all three manually. I started my foray in DSLRs setting everything manually. Then I realized what a waste of time it is and that a good photographer sets their gear in a way that allows them to capture the image they want most easily. In many cases that's AV or TV.

If you care primarily about depth of field, set the camera to aperture priority and let it figure out the necessary shutter speed. If there's a white background or it's on snow, dial in a little +EC. If it's night time or a black background dial in -EC. If you want the water in a waterfall to blur or a propeller to blur, set it to shutter priority. When using a strobe with a max sync speed of 1/200, I find TV to be most convenient.

As for learning, knowing what each control does separately (in AV or TV) makes combining them infinitely easier.

I agree completely. Understanding the relationship between iso/F-stop/SS is critical, being able to set them individually in manual mode is not. Thats like telling my son he has to learn on a manual transmission before driving an automatic so he understands how the car works.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

PhotosGuy
75,439 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 20, 2018 15:28 |  #19

This could be argued forever, but I'll bet that Av or Tv would have given two different exposures in the OP's two images, so exposure compensation would have been needed, even without the lights changing? Really?
You said...

s1a1om wrote in post #18545250 (external link)
...and that a good photographer sets their gear in a way that allows them to capture the image they want most easily.

"Most easily" would be to set the right exposure & then concentrating on getting expressions without measurebating compensation for slightly different compositions.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

TheSandValor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 20, 2018 15:36 |  #20

In my opinion starting with Manual mode will make me understand the relationship between iso, F-stop and SS faster by actually making the mistakes and learning from them, just like in these two photos, i have learned a lot from the discussion in this thread and i would like to keep on trying to use Manual mode and not make my life "easier" by automating everything in the camera.. Furthermore, while i'am practicing the Manual mode i'am using a book and guides to keep learning the relationship of everything in a camera, it really is fun and an adventure, i don't think that there is a "right" or "wrong" approach to the matter, if some one is comfortable with auto and is having a great time taking his pictures and they are good so it is the "right" way for him

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 21, 2018 07:39 |  #21

TheSandValor wrote in post #18545329 (external link)
In my opinion starting with Manual mode will make me understand the relationship between iso, F-stop and SS faster by actually making the mistakes and learning from them, just like in these two photos, i have learned a lot from the discussion in this thread and i would like to keep on trying to use Manual mode and not make my life "easier" by automating everything in the camera.. Furthermore, while i'am practicing the Manual mode i'am using a book and guides to keep learning the relationship of everything in a camera, it really is fun and an adventure, i don't think that there is a "right" or "wrong" approach to the matter, if some one is comfortable with auto and is having a great time taking his pictures and they are good so it is the "right" way for him

I agree. I learned to use cameras back when there was no automation except for expensive cameras that would advance the film automatically between shots. I don't remember anybody in those days who was trying to get good images with an adjustable exposure camera having any real problems understanding the "exposure triangle" and how to use a handheld meter. All they usually needed was a tiny bit of coaching from someone who understood the subject.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

1,367 views & 14 likes for this thread
First Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.