Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sony A7RII & my Canon lenses : questions about the MC-11 & Metabones adaptor

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 20, 2018 09:11 |  #1

I will make the switch to Sony soon and I still have following lenses :
-Canon 24-70 2.8L MKI, 70-200 2.8L MKII
-Sigma 50 Art & Sigma 85 Art

4 questions :

1-Which adaptor would be the best, the Sigma MC-11 or Metabones ?
I read the Metabones is more expensive and for mixed brands (but camera can freeze/reset)
And the MC-11 (despite that it's from Sigma) would be better for Canon lenses and not the Sigma lenses themselves strange enough ?

2-Is the MC-11 the same adaptor with usb updates? (there was no precious MC-9 or next MC-12?)
The metabones seems version IV & V, so for this you need to sell/rebuy new ones, next to the software updates ?

3-I read somewhere that lenses older than 2006 would not work, the 24-70 2.8L is my only one, but I think I read it does work?

4-On which lenses will the face / eye recognition work with the adaptors?

Pity that the G Master lenses are unaffordable in comparison with Canon, and not much cheaper second hand on the market either.
This obliges most photographers to stay with their Canon L lenses.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,357 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2018 20:05 |  #2

I'm in the same boat and I've really been looking at this pretty hard. From what I have been seeing, most people make the following assessments:

1) The MC-11 seems to be better built and 'tighter' than the Metabones. The MB-V addresses a lot of the complaints (internal reflections, sealing) but no word if the build is better. In particular some folks with Metabones think they get a de-centering effect due to slop.

2) With Canon lenses, they work about the same.

3) With Sigma ART, Sport, and Contemporary they both work well, but some people say they like the Metabones better. They say the Sigma combination seems to report itself accurately and so Sigma limits the range over which things like eye-AF will work. On the other hand, people often say the Metabones is nice because the LED tells you the mode, but then they often say the advanced mode is useless.

The only Sigma lens I have is the 120-300/2.8 OS sport, and I'm not sure a wide eye-AF zone is important to me. I'm leaning towards getting the MC-11 as it is cheaper and reportedly better built.

Final thought - both adapters tend to be one firmware update away from working differently.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

randy98mtu
Goldmember
2,956 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 21, 2018 20:21 |  #3

I have tried both. I have the MC-11. If I can't tell a difference, it's not worth double the price. You should get more native functionality with your Art lenses with the MC-11. IIRC, Eye AF works with Art lenses. I had the 35A for a while but since sold it (stupid decision)

The native glass is the way to go. I have switched to the 85/1.8, 50/1.8 and the 35/2.8. That trio is fairly inexpensive and performs very well. You are in a far better situation. If I had all Art glass, I would just run them on both systems. There is a bit of a hit in the size/portability with adapters, and to me that is the single biggest down side when you are talking Art series, which can run "native" on the Sony.

That said, my L's focus acceptably on the Sony. I've also just started experimenting with manual focus, and the L's produce crisp images with character on the Sony sensor.

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | Loxia 21/2.8 + FE 35/2.8 ZA + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

916 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Sony A7RII & my Canon lenses : questions about the MC-11 & Metabones adaptor
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.