Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 22 Jan 2018 (Monday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

80D vs 1D Mark IV

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2018 19:31 |  #16

Lenses used and types of situations and conditions play a very large part in the output as well.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,935 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Bassat.

Jan 26, 2018 00:38 as a reply to  @ post 18548956 |  #17

Valid. Perhaps I am not as demanding.
Edit
I shoot mostly in good daylight.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,761 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 26, 2018 14:58 |  #18

The Ring of Fire is when you reach for the Preparation H, but grab the Deep Heat instead. vmad

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 26, 2018 15:24 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #19

Or you order the scorpion limited edition of Tabasco and use it like regular Tabasco, that will really wake you up and you feel it later!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 26, 2018 16:35 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18549650 (external link)
Or you order the scorpion limited edition of Tabasco and use it like regular Tabasco, that will really wake you up and you feel it later!

OMG, THAT is what Johnny Cash was singing about?!?!
I had no idea. Makes so much sense.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,935 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 26, 2018 16:38 |  #21

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18549699 (external link)
OMG, THAT is what Johnny Cash was singing about?!?!
I had no idea. Makes so much sense.

... and adds a whole new meaning to

I went down, down, down,
and the flames went higher!

Tom

CH_Devin
546 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 31, 2018 03:30 |  #22

In situations where there is a highlight, for example, a spotlight or flash light type light, it will be too much for the contrast focus of the 80D to lock on a subject past the bright light, probably same with a foggy foreground type light. The 1D IV will be able to get pinpoint sharpness from the similar lighting.

The 1D IV also seems more accurate with its servo, maybe due to the AF-point area, or something of that nature. The 80D's AF Servo is rigid, stiff, and doesn't have enough "juice" to continuously track and object for longer than maybe 10 seconds.

The 1D's battery life could last over three hours on a good battery, while the 80D's battery would probably reach its warning level within an hour and a half to two hours at most during continuous work.

A positive, that the OP specifically did say is meaningless, is that the 80D can photograph at ISO 12,800 in a usable manner, while the 1D IV could probably only warmly welcome photographs at 6400. Even though the 1D can go up to 12,800, the photos are not good.

The 80D's video has autofocus, while the 1D IV's does not.'

In all, I would choose the 1D Mark IV as a professional camera over the 80D. Especially in today's price, where both cameras are similarly priced, the 1D would give you an added $3000 value from a decade ago that the 80D never started with. Lighting does not change in this universe, and the 1D Mark IV is good enough to capture most situations presented.

If you want an upgrade, a 1DX is twice the price of a 1D IV, and is 90% of what the 1DX Mark II is.

Good luck shooting!

16-35mm

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 31, 2018 05:29 |  #23

The 1d4 is not known at all for good low light AF locking, many threads on this, and some had to send in the 1d4 for service.

Any of the newer APSC are better at that type of thing.

sponsored links

2,151 views & 10 likes for this thread
80D vs 1D Mark IV
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.