Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Jan 2018 (Monday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kids Plus Snow (Newbie)

Hiplo
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 22, 2018 18:10 |  #1

These were quick shots of the kids on the way in the house on a snowy day. Snow has been iffy around these parts and I have been trying to get some good "wintry" shots of them. Focus (and perhaps composition?) seems to be an issue here and I would appreciate any tip or tricks to help get better photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ramon-uk
617 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 23, 2018 13:10 |  #2

It's difficult to criticise when they are grab shots like these because you get what you get.

I think a smaller aperture may have helped to ensure the focus, and they both look overexposed with parts of the clothing and the snow burnt out.
You have made it difficult for yourself by having them dressed in white clothing against the white snow.
The second one would have looked better if you hadn't cut them off at the bottom and given a bit more space to the left, that way the girl at the back wouldn't have looked as though she is running out of the frame.

Otherwise they are a nice shots of a couple of cute kids enjoying the snow and as a family record what more can you ask for.

Hiplo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 23, 2018 21:11 |  #3

I agree that the white attire made it difficult to separate the clothing from the field and pond in the background. Next time it snows I will actually plan and choose more bold colors and drop the aperture and see what I come up with. Thanks for the feedback!

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 27, 2018 08:21 |  #4

I like the white attire. It gives it a bit of a high key look. But I agree that the shots are slightly overexposed.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

ejenner
Goldmember
3,629 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 14, 2018 23:49 |  #5

I think with shots like this, if you capture their character then that's what really matters. Sometimes you get lucky with the composition and the more you practice, the luckier you get. But a lot of the 'classic' grab shots are all about the moment, not so much about the technical aspects of composition. You chose a day with nice even light and I think the snow and clothing puts emphasis on their faces, which I think is a good thing.

I think you have a good shutter speed and aperture. I imagine that lens is not the fastest focusing which will make things a little more difficult, but you have to deal with that - be in continuous AF and take bursts. Then get used to deleting a bunch of shots (or not if you have disk space).

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

652 views & 6 likes for this thread
Kids Plus Snow (Newbie)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.