Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheap stationary video lighting with my current softboxes

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by travisvwright. (2 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2018 13:03 |  #1

Can I just grab some LED bulbs and put them in a cheap socket; plug it in and put it inside a softbox?

led blub like:
https://www.amazon.com …led+light+bulb+​150w&psc=1 (external link)

Socket on a plug like:
https://www.amazon.com …extension+cord+​light+bulb (external link)

Snap these in my softboxes and call it good right? Why not?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

SailingAway
325 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by SailingAway. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 11:13 |  #2

My experience has been that you want about 500w equivalent in a 24x24 or 24x32” softbox. More isn’t bad.

At 150w equivalent, you’d want at least 3 in a medium softbox for video. Usually.

These don’t have a CRI (color rendition index) rating. Hard to know how they’ll be with skintones. There are bulbs WITH CRI ratings! 90+ is nice...

In the Q&A are questions about difficulties returning bulbs under warranty, a couple people say they’re getting a 50% failure rate.

I’d guess there are cheap LED bulbs that will work for you, but they’re sized for household use, so you’d want 3 bulbs in a 3-way fixture to get enough light. I’m not totally on the LED bandwagon because of issues like this, but, the good stuff is getting really good, and, there are some winners among the lower priced LED video lights.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheap stationary video lighting with my current softboxes
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.