Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading from Ancient Speedlights

musicmaster
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 25, 2018 15:16 |  #1

Hi all,

So I've taken a bit of a hiatus from photography for the last 4-5 years. I still shot on occasion, but it was mostly with my mirrorless setup and on vacations and hikes.

Recently, I've had a few friends (and friends of friends) come to me wanting engagement photos, sponsored social media posts for their company, portraits, etc. I have all of the lenses I need, one thing that is lacking is a modern speedlight.

I currently have a Canon 430 EX (the original) and two YN-460II's that I modified for a 3.5mm port. I also have two Paul Buff CyberSync receivers and a transmitter that I was using to trigger the YN460's back in college for basketball and volleyball.

Given the setup I have, if I'm trying to pack light, I'd need to chose between having an ETTL flash or having the ability to trigger off-camera. I'm also thinking that neither of these flashes is going to be powerful enough for fill light in outdoor portraits with a small softbox either. Also, I don't think I can use the 430EX off camera with my EOS M5 and I don't believe the 430EX supports HSS off camera with my 70D.

This leaves me in an interesting situation. While my CyberSync receivers have been bulletproof and never failed me, it would be nice to have something that supports ETTL and HSS.

I've read a lot of good things about the Godox / Flashpoint setups along with their expandability. I was thinking of picking up a X1T-C Transmitter, TT685 and a TT600. The TT685C would be my primary flash but would also have the option to be used off camera too (unlike my 430EX. My question revolves around the TT600 - I see it supports HSS, but does it support ETTL when triggered by either the 685 or X1T-C? I know it's a manual flash, but the product guide makes it seem like with the transmitter, it does ETTL too. Also, are these reliable enough to just sell off my other gear? I'm not shooting weddings or anything, so if something were to die, it's not the end of the world. On the other hand though, I know some of the YN flashes we had bought for our college newspaper had a tenancy to die after a year or so of usage. Also, how good is the wireless setup? Before I got the cybersyncs, I had some super cheap triggers... that worked probably 1/2 the time. Obviously a miss here or there isn't an issue, but it became painfully frustrating after awhile.

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

Gart
434 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by Gart.

Jan 25, 2018 16:38 |  #2

Your question regarding support of ETTL when triggered by the 685 or X1T-C is probably a "no". I believe in order to have ETTL, the TTL receiver (chip) needs to be built into the speedlight.

My journey was similar to the one you are traveling: original 430EX, then 600EX-RT, some Yongnuo triggers, etc. When Flashpoint got the Li-On R2 system, I went with them. You can't beat the price for what you get. Sure, the quality may not be the same as a 600EX but for 1/3rd the price they are excellent for the money.

Personally, I wouldn't skimp and buy the low end, non-TTL 600. For $40 more, get the TTL version and make that up with what you charge your customers. But I would recommend the Li-On version myself. Also, don't buy the fiddley X1T-C. The XProC is a joy to work with compared to the X1T-C. Much simpler and easier to use.

My opinion only but I have found the Flashpoint gear to be very reliable and would/will continue to buy them again when the need arises.

Gart

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
277 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 25, 2018 23:51 |  #3

It really depends on how you want to work.
Ive got 2 TT685 and an AD360 and while TTL is a nice option if you have the time to do an OCF setup you probably also have the time to shoot full manual which is also gives the more consistent exposure. On the other hand having 2 TTL flashes is also nice e.g for backup etc.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading from Ancient Speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.