Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400mm basic questions

kat.hayes
166 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2018 18:35 |  #1

I've never worked with one of these before.

1. Do you need a tripod when shooting with one of these for either photos or videos?

2. How well does this lens work with creating a bokeh effect behind the subject?

Thanks.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2018 19:26 |  #2

You don't need a tripod, just keep in mind the old 1/focal length rule of thumb. The IS on the original 100-400 gets you a couple stops but you still need to pay attention to your shutter speed.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2018 19:35 |  #3

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Tiffany/i-7Z6jF3r/0/29cd35e1/X3/IMG_8688-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Othe​r/Tiffany/i-7Z6jF3r/A  (external link)

It can give pleasing bokeh, longer lenses give more blur but it's not necessary a bokeh machine like some primes.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 25, 2018 19:42 |  #4

kat.hayes wrote in post #18548944 (external link)
I've never worked with one of these before.

Are you asking about the older 100-400mm I.S., popularly called the "version 1"?
Or are you asking about the current 100-400mm "version 2", which was released about 3 years ago?

1. Do you need a tripod when shooting with one of these for either photos or videos?

You don't need a tripod for still photos when working in "normal" conditions, expecially if you are using the newere version 2. . This is because these lenses have Image Stabilization, and the version 2 has 4 stop stabilization, which deems handholding viable for shooting in most circumstances.

I have no personal experience with video, but I would think that to make really excellent, professional quality videos, you would want to use a tripod all the time, regardless of what lens is being used.

2. How well does this lens work with creating a bokeh effect behind the subject?

This lens - both the version 1 and version 2 - are very capable of producing very nice background blur - a.k.a. "bokeh".
But remember that capturing nice bokeh is 90% YOUR responsibility, and 10% the lens' capability.

It is primarily your expertise in assessing:

1 . subject : background distance ratios

and

2 . background textures and tones

that will result in pleasing bokeh.

Here is an example of what you can expect from the 100-400mm version 2 in regards to background blur ("bokeh"). Please notice that I used an aperture of f11 for this image, because that is how I controlled the degree to which the background would be blurred. If I had used f5.6, the background would be much more defocused, which would result in much bigger areas of colour that would blend into each other much more that what you are seeing here at f11.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 25, 2018 19:43 |  #5

When shooting video, I recommend a tripod for any lens mounted to a dlsr unless you want "Private Ryan" effect.

flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,249 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 25, 2018 19:48 |  #6

In 10 years, I've mounted this lens to a tripod fewer than 20 times, I'd say. Shoot it almost exclusively handheld, v1 and v2, with no troubles; for everything from airshows, wildlife to landscapes.

Video I would definitely mount it for; shakey cam is more of a fad than a useful tool IMO ;)

Your bokeh is going to be controlled more by watching your subject to background distance *to* blur things out. The actual bokeh (quality of that blur) is decent, although it gets a little..."nervous"...i​f you have a lot of fine branches, fence, etc in the b/g.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

cristphoto
875 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 26, 2018 08:29 |  #7

I have the version 1 lens and am happy with its performance. One thing you have to be careful of is when handheld and zooming out to 400 the lens acts like a trombone so your hands get further apart. Just be careful to remain steady and you will be fine.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,763 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2018 15:24 |  #8

It's possible to shoot any lens down to some very low shutter speeds, with or without IS, although your keeper rate will fall by a lot. The subject will have almost as much influence on how you shoot with this lens as its physical properties.

I have shot the original 100-400 with IS at 400mm and down as slow as 1/40s all hand held. I don't shoot a lot at that slow of a speed, but about 50% were sharp enough to use, even if I did bugger up the framing, or hit the wrong spot for the AF quite a few more times. Here are a couple of useable examples.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1607/25923610005_94bdc490e4_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FuMh​6c  (external link) Westland Sea King HAR3A (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,738 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 26, 2018 15:40 |  #9

I shoot my 100-400L ii three ways.. handheld, monopod and tripod. I have good success with all three.

Handheld for moving things... birds, etc.

Monopod if the birds are stationary.

Tripod if I know the birds well and know they aren't going anywhere. I shoot at a couple bird rookeries in the Spring. The large Florida wading birds sit around for long stretches of time there so the tripod works unless I'm going for bird in flight photos.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,813 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 28, 2018 13:39 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #10

I need a tripod. maybe YOU don't. I also need a monopod. remember the 100-400L II can be used for many types of photography.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

kat.hayes
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 28, 2018 14:56 |  #11

How can you tell if you are using a version 1 or a version 2? What are the primary differences between the two?

Thanks.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18548986 (external link)
Are you asking about the older 100-400mm I.S., popularly called the "version 1"?
Or are you asking about the current 100-400mm "version 2", which was released about 3 years ago?

You don't need a tripod for still photos when working in "normal" conditions, expecially if you are using the newere version 2. . This is because these lenses have Image Stabilization, and the version 2 has 4 stop stabilization, which deems handholding viable for shooting in most circumstances.

I have no personal experience with video, but I would think that to make really excellent, professional quality videos, you would want to use a tripod all the time, regardless of what lens is being used.

This lens - both the version 1 and version 2 - are very capable of producing very nice background blur - a.k.a. "bokeh".
But remember that capturing nice bokeh is 90% YOUR responsibility, and 10% the lens' capability.

It is primarily your expertise in assessing:

1 . subject : background distance ratios

and

2 . background textures and tones

that will result in pleasing bokeh.

Here is an example of what you can expect from the 100-400mm version 2 in regards to background blur ("bokeh"). Please notice that I used an aperture of f11 for this image, because that is how I controlled the degree to which the background would be blurred. If I had used f5.6, the background would be much more defocused, which would result in much bigger areas of colour that would blend into each other much more that what you are seeing here at f11.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=185​48986&i=i20253944
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,147 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 28, 2018 15:01 |  #12

kat.hayes wrote in post #18551089 (external link)
How can you tell if you are using a version 1 or a version 2? What are the primary differences between the two?

Thanks.

v1 has a push/pull zoom, like a trombone. v2 has a more conventional twist zoom.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2018 16:33 |  #13

kat.hayes wrote in post #18551089 (external link)

They are completely different lenses.

They look different.

They operate differently.

They have VERY different prices.

The original doesn't say II (two) on it and the new one does.

Here's the old one (version one):
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …I5SYLHPUoe4waAt​oBEALw_wcB (external link)

And here's the new one (version two):
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …PalzkjjBYoyUaAm​O2EALw_wcB (external link)

You can read in detail about the differences between these two lenses in both the SPECS and the REVIEWS areas in the web pages I linked to above.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,813 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 28, 2018 21:45 |  #14

if you have version II your wallet will be significantly lighter :-P

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,249 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 28, 2018 22:29 |  #15

Besides the physical operation, the MkII has much faster autofocus, much closer minimum focus distance and a 3rd IS option that only enables IS at the time the image is captured. It is also much more expensive

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

5,399 views & 28 likes for this thread
100-400mm basic questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.