Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama???

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2018 17:40 |  #1

I've bought from B&H Photo and Adorama over the years and generally been more than happy with the service and products they provide but lately I've been questioning what's been going on at Adorama. I have been looking at some of their used equipment, either the mirrorless or medium format camera offerings they have and can't seem to get an answer to requests for photo's of these bodies. I've talked to customer service agents, who then referred me to a wrong department via email, then was redirected to the used departments email, then received no answer for my request for photos of the items I'm considering to purchase at their store. I sent an email yesterday to their online rep, Helen Oster but haven't heard back as of yet. Anyone else have any experiences such as this.

I'll add that prior to this week that in December I also was looking at and requested photos of one of their Sony mirrorless bodies but was informed that it had already been sold and shipped to my address, lol. Regardless, I never received any package and later called and confirmed that I hadn't yet been billed for the item but makes me wonder what's going on over there.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

sponsored links
eth3rton
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 27, 2018 21:06 |  #2

Reach out to Helen Oster. She can more than likely get you the help you need.

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2018 21:11 as a reply to  @ eth3rton's post |  #3

Lol, I have and nothing from Helen so far either. I will likely be buying from another seller since I've received nothing but silence from Adorama. They must be extremely busy or slipping, but in today's market reaction time is everything to the consumer.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,697 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 6 months ago by MDJAK.

Jan 27, 2018 21:27 |  #4

Do they take specific pics of used gear? In most instances a buyer goes by their rating and if not happy can return it. Also you posted this a few hours ago. It’s the sabbath and Helen is an observer. And I thought I was impetuous. Yesterday was sabbath also so perhaps that’s why you didn’t hear back. Photos are very valuable to lay eyes on when buying from individuals on a forum to help prove possession of the item. Not so with a store.

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2018 21:30 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #5

Yes they do take pics of used gear, my initial contact was earlier in the week so Adorama has had plenty of time to respond in today's digital age. Unless of course they have gone back to snail mail. :p

Flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,439 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 27, 2018 23:50 |  #6

I don't know why you didn't hear from the used department following your previous requests, but as far as I can see the first email you sent to me was yesterday - Saturday, when we are closed for the Jewish Sabbath.
I've forwarded your email to the used department but they do not work on Sundays.
On Monday a request will be sent to the photographer and the photographs will be sent to you later on Monday or Tuesday, depending upon how many requests he has in ahead of yours.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,439 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 28, 2018 02:00 |  #7

Thorrulz wrote in post #18550400 (external link)
......in December I also was looking at and requested photos of one of their Sony mirrorless bodies but was informed that it had already been sold and shipped to my address, lol. Regardless, I never received any package and later called and confirmed that I hadn't yet been billed for the item but makes me wonder what's going on over there.

Concerned to see this - it sounds as though the item had been sold before you requested pictures - but why you would have been told it had been shipped to you is a mystery (most likely simply CS agent error) - can you please email me with the SKU# of the item and I'll see f I can trace why you were given inaccurate info? Many thanks
Helen@adorama.com

Helen@adorama.com

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 28, 2018 02:15 |  #8

Thanks for your reply Helen, I will look for and forward the December email to you after I locate it. I wasn't all that concerned about being notified that the body had been actually sent to my address with the exception of having to explain to my wife how such a "mistake" could happen to me during the Christmas shopping season, lol.

Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2018 10:45 |  #9

It seems overly burdensome to expect Adorama to take pics of their used gear and send you the photos. . If I were a reseller I wouldn't do this for people, period.

I would think that there are plenty of people who are willing to buy the gear 'sight unseen' that it wouldn't be necessary for Adorama to go through this tedious, time-wasting process of picture taking.

I buy ALL of my cameras and lenses used, and never once did I care to see a photo of the gear before I bought it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2018 10:53 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Speak for yourself!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 28, 2018 10:55 |  #11

thinkharder wrote in post #18550925 (external link)
Speak for yourself!

I already did speak for myself. . Are you asking me to speak for myself again?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,085 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 28, 2018 11:00 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18550917 (external link)
It seems overly burdensome to expect Adorama to take pics of their used gear and send you the photos.

I agree.

Adorama is very clear on their "Used Ratings" definitions at https://www.adorama.co​m …tings&searchred​irect=true (external link). They are also very reputable and Helen will readily step up to the plate when needed.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,439 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 28, 2018 12:15 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18550917 (external link)

It seems overly burdensome to expect Adorama to take pics of their used gear and send you the photos. . If I were a reseller I wouldn't do this for people, period.

I would think that there are plenty of people who are willing to buy the gear 'sight unseen' that it wouldn't be necessary for Adorama to go through this tedious, time-wasting process of picture taking.

I buy ALL of my cameras and lenses used, and never once did I care to see a photo of the gear before I bought it.

In truth, with the really low end gear where it would cost us almost as much in time to provide pictures as the unit is worth - and the open box where it's pristine - we don't always; we ask customers to use the 30-day returns period to decide.

Helen@adorama.com

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jan 28, 2018 12:22 |  #14

Just musing...perhaps all resellers of used equipment need to insist that they will not take in the used goods -- either sold by the owner to the retailer or when submitted as a trade-in for purchase of another item -- unless the item is accompanied with digital images of acceptable quality, which can be then provided to later potential buyers of said used equipment.
That way later photography of the used item becomes unnecessary, and not a burden which drives up their resale overhead.

Problem solved

;-)a

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2018 12:27 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18550987 (external link)
Just musing...perhaps all resellers of used equipment need to insist that they will not take in the used goods -- either sold by the owner to the retailer or when submitted as a trade-in for purchase of another item -- unless the item is accompanied with digital images of acceptable quality, which can be then provided to later potential buyers of said used equipment.
That way later photography of the used item becomes unnecessary, and not a burden which drives up their resale overhead.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

They would still have to examine the pictures to make sure that they really are pics of the item they received, and that the pictures are an accurate representation of the item. . Then they would have to rename the image files and upload them to their site.

It would still be a tedious process that would require that an employee take time to perform these tasks. . All of this when it is not necessary, because there are many buyers who will pay the asking price without needing to look at photos first.

sponsored links

2,818 views & 30 likes for this thread
Adorama???
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.