Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Capture One 11 VS Lightroom Classic ( Video Shoot Out )

craigbeckta
191 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 01, 2018 12:27 |  #1

Hey everyone,

Here's a quick comparison of how Capture One 11 and Adobe Lightroom handle raw images...

Check it out and leave a comment...

Which one do think, does a better job of processing raw image files?

Leave a comment below...

Craig

"Online Digital Photography Training ( Image Classroom )" (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,349 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2018 15:08 |  #2

You asked for an opinion and I'm good at getting myself in trouble so here it goes.

I gave C1 a good trial a few months ago. Excellent software which was high on my list but IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. C1 is far more processed out of the box. If I had been looking at both LR and C1 for the first time I'd say ugh to LR and wow to C1.

Adobe Standard is flat. I have been in several conversations about this and appears by design. Adobe expects you to tweak, apply a camera profile or use a profiler like ColorChecker Passport. Your comments about saturation with C1 are about what I have read. Some say a tad oversaturated but it didn't bother me.

As for sharpness is the video showing the detail window at factory settings in LR? Also export sharpening was not applied because you can't view that before export, only after. What stage was C1 at? I posted several edited and exported examples on another forum and no one could tell the difference. This included the whole package, color and sharpness. I did find the lens corrections, all the sharpening stages, clarity, structure and worked them all with C1 carefully.

C1's color rendition is very good and gets to the finish line faster. Color is a preference as well unless you are in the business and using profilers. I can't say anything about that as I've never used a profiler.

In conclusion yes, C1 looks much better out of the box.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,748 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 02, 2018 03:44 |  #3

Since comments were asked fo, how about writing up your results and posting them here for us to read? Rather than using this text based BBS as a simple tool for driving traffic to your Youtube channel, which seems to be becoming a common tactic here on POTN these days. Lots of people are doing this, it just happened thar this one was the one to push me to comment on it.

I come to POTN because it IS text based, which allows me to take in the information at a pace to suite me. I have a health condition that affects my memory, and being able to instantly rewind, and read over a sentence or even a few words is invaluable. Also I have always found simply watching video to be my least favoured learning method. A good teacher, with a willing class has always been number one, but after that comes well writen text for me. By all means then include a link for those who might like watching a video better.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,731 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 02, 2018 06:41 |  #4

To me the thread is an ad for the author and for C1P. Comparisons between C1P and Adobe products have been done to death over the years. By apply import presets you can give an image the same look,,,,assuming you want it.....as you will get when C1P opens a raw file.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,571 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by kirkt.

Feb 02, 2018 07:33 |  #5

Other than subjective opinion, you cannot really compare one raw converter to another unless you set some sort of metrics for comparison and measure them. Even if you do that, what is "correct' and "looks good" to one person may not hold true for another. And comparing default renderings out of the box is practically irrelevant, unless you use a raw converter with no adjustment to any image you shoot. C1 users know that there are multiple tone curves that may be applied to an image ("film curves") and LR users know there are multiple camera profiles that do the same to tone and color. In both cases, the user can roll their own as well, in addition to presets, to address whatever subjective looks one wants to achieve by default.

The lower contrast images in LR need a black point and white point adjustment. Also, the target you shot at the beginning of the video has glare on it from your straight-on over-under lighting - use that target image for profiling at your own risk, as it is shot incorrectly for that purpose.

A comparison amongst raw converters for something a little more quantifiable would be a demonstration of highlight reconstruction and recovery, for example, or shadow rendering and noise/demosacing artifacts.

kirk

Kirk
---

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,349 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 02, 2018 09:22 |  #6

kirkt wrote in post #18554584 (external link)
Other than subjective opinion, you cannot really compare one raw converter to another unless you set some sort of metrics for comparison and measure them. Even if you do that, what is "correct' and "looks good" to one person may not hold true for another. And comparing default renderings out of the box is practically irrelevant, unless you use a raw converter with no adjustment to any image you shoot. C1 users know that there are multiple tone curves that may be applied to an image ("film curves") and LR users know there are multiple camera profiles that do the same to tone and color. In both cases, the user can roll their own as well, in addition to presets, to address whatever subjective looks one wants to achieve by default.

The lower contrast images in LR need a black point and white point adjustment. Also, the target you shot at the beginning of the video has glare on it from your straight-on over-under lighting - use that target image for profiling at your own risk, as it is shot incorrectly for that purpose.

A comparison amongst raw converters for something a little more quantifiable would be a demonstration of highlight reconstruction and recovery, for example, or shadow rendering and noise/demosacing artifacts.

kirk

The updated auto feature does a job with black point and the others in the Basic window. I don't always agree with it but a good start. I have it set up so it auto applies during import. Also sharpening, NR, lens correction and camera profile with a few colour tweaks auto apply so I have a import to export workflow if I want it.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,349 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by digital paradise.

Feb 03, 2018 10:02 |  #7

This explains why I chose to stay with Adobe and I'm not a big fan of the plan. It gave me what I needed in the areas most important to me and I was prepared to sacrifice others. Depending on what Adobe does in the future I may yet revisit C1.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=AZdzcaaqaeY (external link)

I have said before. If they put DPP's engine into LR which included DLO I'd pay for it.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,324 views & 8 likes for this thread
Capture One 11 VS Lightroom Classic ( Video Shoot Out )
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.