Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about "Dust" in Lens

Bogino
456 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2018 09:40 |  #1

Often when I'm reading Buy & Sell sections I read disclosures that "Lens has some minor dust in it but doesn't affect image quality"...etc. That seems to be fairly common. My question is:

Can dust particles in a lens be removed and if so how is that done?

Thx.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Bassat.

Feb 03, 2018 09:53 |  #2

Bogino wrote in post #18555393 (external link)
Often when I'm reading Buy & Sell sections I read disclosures that "Lens has some minor dust in it but doesn't affect image quality"...etc. That seems to be fairly common. My question is:

Thx.

Here is a 3-part answer to your question.

1.) No. If this satisfies you, stop reading now.

2.) Its true. Dust in a lens will not affect IQ. If this satisfies you, stop reading now.

3.) Yes, the dust can be cleaned out of the lens. First you must find someone with the technical expertise, and necessary hardware to do the job. Next you will need to rent a 'clean room' at NASA, or INTEL, or someplace similar. Then you must pay to transport the technician, his gear, and your lens to the clean room. Said technician may then remove said dust from said lens. When the lens is removed from the clean room to be returned to you, it will immediately start accumulating more dust. Repeat. If this is unsatisfactory, see part 1.

Tom

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 03, 2018 10:10 |  #3

Bogino wrote in post #18555393 (external link)

Dust can be cleaned out from inside a lens. . But why bother? . As soon as you get the lens back from Canon service and use it, new dust will enter the lens.

Dust gets into the inside of lenses very easily, especially zoom lenses. . It is simply ALWAYS going to be there. . But it isn't a problem at all and there is really no reason to have it removed unless there is so much that it actually affects your photos - but that would take an unbelievable amount of dust to actually do that. . Besides, it only affects images that are strongly backlit. . So unless strongly backlit images are a big part of your shooting style, the dust - even lots of it - will never be a problem at all.

Cleaning the inside of the lens is a regular part of Canon's "Check and Clean" service. . For most Canon zoom lenses, this service costs about $300.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 10:13 |  #4

If you'd like to see just how little dust affects your photos, scotch tape a dime to the center of your lens. Shoot something. My guess is you'll see nothing of it in the resulting photo. Little, teeny dust specs inside a lens showing up in a photo? Just ain't gonna happen.

Tom

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2018 10:24 |  #5

Interesting responses. I was mainly curious and trying to understand the relevancy or irrelevancy of dust in lenses. Thx.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Gallery: 232 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 03, 2018 10:28 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18555423 (external link)
If you'd like to see just how little dust affects your photos, scotch tape a dime to the center of your lens. Shoot something. My guess is you'll see nothing of it in the resulting photo. Little, teeny dust specs inside a lens showing up in a photo? Just ain't gonna happen.

Have you tried this?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Bassat
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 10:29 |  #7

Dust is a perpetual issue with lenses. Any lens that either focuses or zooms is going to accumulate a bit of it. I've had some 40+ year old lenses with a slight amount, and some much newer ones with a relatively large amount. I've never seen evidence of it in a photo.

Dust on your sensor can show up, and is more likely to be visible at very small apertures.

Tom

Bassat
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 10:50 |  #8

Archibald wrote in post #18555437 (external link)
Have you tried this?

Not until just now. Sorry for the poor manual focus. If a dime and that piece of tape have this little effect on a photo, my guess remains that you will NEVER see lens dust in a photo.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Feb 03, 2018 11:05 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18555465 (external link)
Not until just now. Sorry for the poor manual focus. If a dime and that piece of tape have this little effect on a photo, my guess remains that you will NEVER see lens dust in a photo.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bassat in
./showthread.php?p=185​55465&i=i63563412
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bassat in
./showthread.php?p=185​55465&i=i215813135

Ha ha, I never thought I could get someone to tape a dime to their lens!

Here is my result of placing a small (approx 3x5 mm) piece of paper on my lens. Foreign material most certainly will affect image quality, but its effects depend on where it is in the lens and on settings.

I agree, though, that small dust particles, especially deep inside the lens, are not likely to affect the picture.

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

wyntastr
550 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by wyntastr.

Feb 03, 2018 11:12 |  #10

Bogino wrote in post #18555432 (external link)
Interesting responses. I was mainly curious and trying to understand the relevancy or irrelevancy of dust in lenses. Thx.

I think it is mainly for a seller of the lens to be forthcoming in their description to potential buyers that, yes there is a little bit of dust specks in the lens and no, the resulting images will not
be affected at all.
This way, a buyer can't come back and say, "Hey! You didn't say there was dust in the lens!"
To further illustrate Bassat's post about the dime, there is an interesting article where a guy sacrifices a lens to show how much obstruction a lens would endure before actually producing an image that was drastically affected. He eventually shatters the front element and still produces viewable images.
Ah, found it.
http://kurtmunger.com/​dirty_lens_articleid35​.html (external link)

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/4L - EF 100-400L

Bassat
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 11:15 |  #11

Archibald wrote in post #18555477 (external link)

Here is my result of placing a small (approx 3x5 mm) piece of paper on my lens. Foreign material most certainly will affect image quality, but its effects depend on where it is in the lens and on settings.

I agree, though, that small dust particles, especially deep inside the lens, are not likely to affect the picture.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=185​55477&i=i60849396

Agreed. Focal length, focus distance, and aperture all affect the degree of visibility. Notice I selected settings to minimize the effect. ߘ

Tom

Bassat
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 11:16 as a reply to  @ wyntastr's post |  #12

That is the video I was looking for!

Tom

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,207 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 03, 2018 11:20 |  #13

Archibald wrote in post #18555477 (external link)

It's been my experience that dust on the sensor, rear element, or "deep inside the lens", is more likely to be visible in the image, especially when small apertures are involved. (f/16, f/22, etc)

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 03, 2018 11:31 |  #14

msowsun wrote in post #18555494 (external link)
It's been my experience that dust on the sensor, rear element, or "deep inside the lens", is more likely to be visible in the image, especially when small apertures are involved. (f/16, f/22, etc)

Sensor - yes, of course, but we are talking about dust in a lens.

It would be hard for us to test how things inside a lens affect the image. My "deep inside the lens" comment is based on the observation that aperture blades don't show in the image, therefore foreign objects close to the aperture blades likewise would not show.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

PhotosGuy
75,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 03, 2018 12:10 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18555423 (external link)

Might be better if you said "Shoot something at a wide open f-stop".

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,558 views & 17 likes for this thread
Question about "Dust" in Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.