Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My business idea, need your professional opinion

lalvidrez
379 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by lalvidrez.

Feb 06, 2018 09:35 |  #1

,I know as a photographer I am always looking for shoot locations. I have some land and was looking at setting up a shoot location for photographers. Would have different scene settings, and props set up to give photographers different choices. Would that be something you as a photog would be interested in? would you be willing to pay a monthly fee, if so how much, or just a flat charge for using the location for one day? Give me your thoughts please.

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,472 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2018 12:45 |  #2

I've paid hourly rates to use others' studio space before, when they have well-equipped and themed photo sets.

It has to be something I can't find myself for free, though, or something that I can't recreate in my own home studio.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

lalvidrez
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 06, 2018 12:50 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #3

Good points, thank you.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2018 13:35 |  #4

lalvidrez wrote in post #18557626 (external link)
,I know as a photographer I am always looking for shoot locations. I have some land and was looking at setting up a shoot location for photographers. Would have different scene settings, and props set up to give photographers different choices. Would that be something you as a photog would be interested in? would you be willing to pay a monthly fee, if so how much, or just a flat charge for using the location for one day? Give me your thoughts please.

For me personally, I would have no interest. . Why? . Because scouting locations is a part of the creative process. . If I were to use an area that someone else created, then I will have lost an opportunity to put more of my own creativity and ingenuity into a shoot.

If photographers consider themselves to be, first and foremost, creative artists, then they are always looking for ways to make their work stand out from everybody else's. . They want their work to be different and unique and original. . Using a venue that another photographer has created seems to be something that would thwart one's quest for originality.

I am only speaking for myself.

There are lots of photographers who do not care a whole lot about being original and creative, and who might not even consider their photography to be an artistic endeavor. . They just want to please their clients and give them solid images and get paid and get repeat business. . So your idea may be quite valid, from a business point of view.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,953 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2018 15:45 |  #5

I have some land and was looking at setting up a shoot location for photographers.

I'm not situated to take advantage of it myself. Those who are, though, would be in a better position to decide if they knew what your land looks like. Is it in beautiful country, does it change much with the seasons, are animals there, [fill in the blank]?

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18557837 (external link)
For me personally, I would have no interest. . . . I am only speaking for myself.

There are lots of photographers who do not care a whole lot about being original and creative, and who might not even consider their photography to be an artistic endeavor. . They just want to please their clients and give them solid images and get paid and get repeat business.

Some might have more-reputable motives than the unoriginal clods you've described. For example, shooting in a new space might be a way of challenging oneself. Or one might wish to meet other photographers. Again, [fill in the blank].

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 06, 2018 16:03 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #6

No ... I think it's a poor business proposition. If you have a hill, by all means set up a mountain bike downhill course. If you have a lake, set up an anglers' paradise.

But just what is it that you have that is going to sell to photographers? Do you have panoramas to die for that can't be caught next door?

I think the most you might conceivably offer is nothing more than a manufactured artificial theme-park type space that feebly unambitious photographers could exploit as a 'cheat' on the real business of making interesting/original images.

You could be onto a winner!!!

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2018 16:14 |  #7

OhLook wrote in post #18557954 (external link)
Or one might wish to meet other photographers.

Oh Look, I think you're on to something here!

I think that maybe the greatest value that the OP can gain from this idea is not to try to derive money from it.

If he/she simply offered his/her land for use to local photographers, free of charge, then it could be a neat way to get to know other photographers in the area and to build some friendships as a result.

If the OP is an active member in a local photography club, then he/she can start by making an announcement at the next club meeting that he/she has land that is available for photography purposes. . If the OP is not a member of a local photography club, then they could join one, and they would immediately have something to offer the other club members.

Of course, some party-pooper will mention liability and the problem of someone bringing a paying client onto his/her private property and what could happen if someone got hurt and on and on and on. . But I know that in my area such lawsuits just don't happen (the local judges and the community won't stand for it). . If the OP's land is in an area where the local/regional courts are against liability suits, then this could be a really cool thing for the OP.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 07, 2018 02:37 |  #8

There are a lot of boutique hotels that rent rooms by the hour and offer very unique settings. There are plenty abondoned buildings that offer great back drops and are free to use. I just can’t see myself going to a place that is trying to duplicate something that already exists and paying any real some of money...at least not enough to sustain a business.

Will you have insurance coverage etc...

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Feb 07, 2018 02:52 |  #9

I don't think people are understanding your vision. I have had a similar idea that I, frankly, don't have the funds to back. I wanted to create a "playground" of natural backdrops for photo shoots. Need a little bridge over a stream? Got it. Need an ivy covered stone wall? Got it. How about a trellis with roses? Got that too. The sky's the limit. Bamboo forest, castle ruins, Koi pond, tree swing, daffodil lawn, secluded knoll, meditative waterfall with tall decorative grasses, you name it. Anything a good set designer can build can make for that perfect shooting location, all within walking distance and all carefully manicured. As for creativity, it would all still be up to the photographer. How many photographers go to the same local "found" locations because everyone knows how pretty they are? I can name you several locations in my area I could travel to and find a wedding or portrait photographer at. Why because it's local, it's accessible and its known for its beauty. Does that stop the next photographer from using it because other have done so ad nauseum? Absolutely not. Our local waterfall can see two or three wedding parties in a weekend because it's an "idyllic location".

If I had a place that was designed by a photographer to take advantage of the terrain, understood the lighting any given day of the year and had power access for lights... I'd be on that. Like I said, I've had this idea for years but never the means to implement it in my area. Instead, I have to rely on 'found' locations.

Good luck.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 12, 2018 09:14 |  #10

It's a fun idea, but you know some jackass (more likely multitudes) are just going to help themselves anyway without the fee. Enforcing the boundaries will be rough.

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,825 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2018 10:04 |  #11

The only problem I see is that if 20 photographers are using the props and space. 20 photographers in the area now all have the same pictures. Folks try to be diverse by purchasing or using props the next guy doesn't.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Jethr0
972 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 12, 2018 10:13 |  #12

A friend of mine lives in the country - 300 acre farm more specifically. She has a number of eagles, coyotes, and big cats living on her land, as well as having some nice landscapes to look at. However - the animals are the attraction for photography friends. she regularly hosts small groups to take advantage of some unique shooting opportunities. it's by no means a business, but it is convenient, and she does meet many other photographers.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Feb 12, 2018 13:10 |  #13

Jethr0 wrote in post #18562039 (external link)
A friend of mine lives in the country - 300 acre farm more specifically. She has a number of eagles, coyotes, and big cats living on her land, as well as having some nice landscapes to look at. However - the animals are the attraction for photography friends. she regularly hosts small groups to take advantage of some unique shooting opportunities. it's by no means a business, but it is convenient, and she does meet many other photographers.

And I bet she doesn't get anyone saying, "nah, your land has been over-photographed. I'd rather find my own that other photographers haven't photographed to death." Which s my point.

As another example... let's talk wedding venues.

How many bridal parties have been photographed at 'The Wedding Palace', your local favorite wedding hall? Do photographers moan and groan that the supplied amenities (staircase, trellis, fountain...) have been over photographed by every local wedding photographer? Nope. It's all part of the job. While a location may seem common to the photographer that uses it every other weekend, it's still a beautiful one-of-a-kind for the client. Clients don't get together your with other clients to compare backgrounds and throw a hissy fit if you used the same one as theirs.

How about the portrait photographers that have their favorite backdrop because it makes everyone look great? That gets used over and over. Are those of you complaining about "repetition" and "uniqueness" changing out your backdrops and buying new ones after each client in order to "stay competitive?" I don't think so.

It's a weak argument in my opinion.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 12, 2018 13:28 |  #14

There are locations in Nashville that cater to the Music Industry for videos and photoshoots. I see no reason why it couldn't work for you as long as you maintain and insure the property. If not, it would certainly fail.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 21:09 |  #15

-Duck- wrote in post #18562144 (external link)
And I bet she doesn't get anyone saying, "nah, your land has been over-photographed. I'd rather find my own that other photographers haven't photographed to death." Which s my point.

Actually, myself and other wildlife photographers often pass up opportunities to photograph wildlife because too many other people photograph the same animals at the same place.

Many of us wildlife photographers highly value originality, and try not to replicate photos that others have already taken. . There have been many occasions when I have passed up opportunities to make some really great wildlife photos because there were already several people shooting the animal. . The world certainly didn't need more photos of the same subject in the same exact place, did it?

-Duck- wrote in post #18562144 (external link)
How about the portrait photographers that have their favorite backdrop because it makes everyone look great? That gets used over and over. Are those of you complaining about "repetition" and "uniqueness" changing out your backdrops and buying new ones after each client in order to "stay competitive?"

If I photographed people, then I would not use a backdrop over and over again. . Why? . Because I would want each portrait that I turned out to be unique, and not look like other portraits that I took of other people.

Look at the work of POTN member LisaJH:
http://ljhollowayphoto​graphy.com/ (external link)

She photographs people, and her work is genuinely creative. . She doesn't just copycat herself over and over and over again with the same (ugh) backdrops being used again and again. . When people hire her to take their portraits, they know that they are going to get something special and wonderfully creative. . She actually cares enough to continually seek out new and different venues for her shoots.

This is what I think a true photographer/artist does. . I just don't see how one would get this same degree of creativity and uniqueness if one went to the same place over and over and over ..... especially if a bunch of other local photographers were also using the same area for most of their shoots.

If a portrait photographer is really using the same backdrops over and over and over again, then he/she should ask him/herself, "Shouldn't I be setting the bar much, much higher?"

sponsored links

2,140 views & 6 likes for this thread
My business idea, need your professional opinion
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.