Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 07 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pileated in the snow

ShadowHillsPhoto
517 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 07, 2018 13:09 |  #1

It took a full month, but the pileated finally found the woodpecker feeding station I set up near the edge of the woods. Since everything around here is shutdown today with the snowstorm moving through the NE, and my wife and I are home with the kids, I decided to sit for a couple hours in the blind this morning.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4715/25266500837_6930ea30c9_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/EuHq​qM  (external link) Pileated--4 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/39426606524_a6d5bd7d96_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/234Z​Ew1  (external link) Pileated- (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/25266501807_e4d09efb9d_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/EuHq​Hv  (external link) Pileated--2 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4709/39426605904_6a62311501_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/234Z​Ekj  (external link) Pileated--7 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4745/39426606114_c5c431810e_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/234Z​EoW  (external link) Pileated--5 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

Bonus blue jay

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4703/25266502397_f54ccaea32_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/EuHq​TF  (external link) Blue Jay- (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2018 13:14 |  #2

Hey, Ryan!

I absolutely love the background in these Pileated images ..... especially in #s 1, 2, 3, and 5. . . That is sweeeeet!

I hope that you are able to get a lot more time with him (or her?) . . What fun!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 07, 2018 13:20 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #3

Thanks Tom! It's a him, the females don't have the red patch below the bill. I was really starting to wonder if I was going to need to move the setup to a different location, especially after I pulled the card from my game camera on Sunday and went through almost the entire week still without seeing him. But finally there he was on Sunday's footage, having found the feeders just a few hours before I checked the camera. Now he's pretty much a regular around 9am and he hits it sporadically during the afternoon as well.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2018 13:26 |  #4

I see you're shooting wide open at f5.6 with the 1.4 extender on your 600mm.

Have you experimented with any other settings?

It'd be interesting to see how different some of the snow flakes would look if you had any shots where you stopped down to f8 or even f11.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kmilo
265 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2018 13:52 |  #5

excellent work

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 07, 2018 13:52 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #6

I didn't have the light for it with how heavy the snow was this morning. I wouldn't have been shooting with the extender but I wasn't exactly sure how far back I needed to be with the blind to be able to capture the entire bird in the frame and I ended up overcompensating a bit. Next time out I'll move the blind up a few feet so I can shoot at 600mm, that will give me some more flexibility.

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 07, 2018 13:55 |  #7

kmilo wrote in post #18558694 (external link)
excellent work

Thanks. The blind is all set, just let me know when you want to drop by. ;-)a

kmilo
265 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2018 14:12 |  #8

I just picked up the canon 300 f/4 L. Now I just need a 1.4x ... I'm getting closer :)

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18558696 (external link)
Thanks. The blind is all set, just let me know when you want to drop by. ;-)a

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2018 14:24 |  #9

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18558695 (external link)
I didn't have the light for it . . .

Is 1600 ISO right around your personal limit for the 1Dx2 ?

I would have assumed that the 1Dx2 could produce very clean images at 3200 or 6400, but I've never used one so any thoughts I have are based on nothing but unfounded conjecture. . Any insight from your personal 'hands on' experience would be appreciated.

I totally relate to your framing / blind distance situation. When using prime lenses and extenders for blind work this is always an issue that comes to the forefront, and I am always wanting to adjust the blind distance by a little bit, one way or the other. . But it's nice that you've managed to get plenty close enough for frame filling shots with the extender.

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 07, 2018 15:18 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18558715 (external link)
Is 1600 ISO right around your personal limit for the 1Dx2 ?

I would have assumed that the 1Dx2 could produce very clean images at 3200 or 6400, but I've never used one so any thoughts I have are based on nothing but unfounded conjecture.

No, that's true, I could have gone up to 3200 or even 6400, it's just a little bit more work later on in NeatImage to clean up the file. With birds in flight I won't hesitate to go to 6400 if I need it. I've even gone to 8000 and 10000 when shooting owls at twilight and gotten very useable files. That said, with perched birds at close range I tend to go more conservative if I can to preserve maximum feather detail. In hindsight I probably should have bumped up to 3200 for a few shots, although I think I would have gone for more shutter speed ahead of stopping down the aperture. Their heads move around so much and so quickly that every little bit of speed to help freeze them is appreciated.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 07, 2018 17:19 |  #11

Beautiful Ryan, really love these, that bird in the snow makes for a beautiful scene!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2018 17:31 |  #12

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18558764 (external link)
In hindsight I probably should have bumped up to 3200 for a few shots, although I think I would have gone for more shutter speed ahead of stopping down the aperture.

There are always so many things that, in hindsight, we would like to have done. . So much experimenting with apertures and composition and framing and on and on and on.

After a shoot, when examining my images, I am always thinking about all of the different variables and wondering to myself, "what would this part of the image be like if I had ...... ?" . So many questions; so much curiosity.

The problem is that we get so little time with the bird at close range that we have to just do our best with the short opportunity that we have. . And it certainly looks like you did a great job with the few moments that this guy gave you. . That's really what it's all about!

KeBul
300 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2018 05:38 |  #13

Lovely captures,

Snow falling adds another dimension to these, I love the look of a Pileated and these are very nice indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Kev

sponsored links

855 views & 21 likes for this thread
Pileated in the snow
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.