Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 14:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help processing some photos

Stiga
Goldmember
3,984 posts
Gallery: 752 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Stiga. (2 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2018 15:14 |  #31

kirkt wrote in post #18560193 (external link)
ACR does permit you to output an RGB file ("Save Image..." in the lower left corner of the ACR window) and includes resizing (Top image).

I never noticed that - probably because I have never needed/wanted it

DxO outputs TIF and permits resizing of that file (Bottom image).

DNGs cannot be resized.

kirk

Your screen grab looks different to my copy.

Thanks anyway.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by AZGeorge.

Feb 09, 2018 22:07 |  #32

kirkt wrote in post #18560193 (external link)
ACR does permit you to output an RGB file ("Save Image..." in the lower left corner of the ACR window) and includes resizing (Top image)

It must be a mystery function! For many years it never appeared on my screen and then, suddenly, right after I read your post, there it was plain as day.

If it weren't for ignorance we would never learn anything new. Thanks for today's lesson.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2018 09:48 |  #33

I went into dropbox and a shared folder, then I clicked upload on the right side, choose my cr2 file and dragged it into the folder. Then I made a link and copied it and am pasting it here. My file changed to jpeg. I am using an iMac computer.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …sizeoutput_19a6​.jpeg?dl=0 (external link)

Canon 5D mark iii, 7D Mark ii, 100-400mm ii, 24-70mm f/2.8 ii, 70-200mm f/2.8 ii ,Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 sport, 580EX II, Lowpro Pro roller X300

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,680 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Feb 10, 2018 10:04 |  #34

sprint777 wrote in post #18560655 (external link)
I went into dropbox and a shared folder, then I clicked upload on the right side, choose my cr2 file and dragged it into the folder. Then I made a link and copied it and am pasting it here. My file changed to jpeg. I am using an iMac computer.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …sizeoutput_19a6​.jpeg?dl=0 (external link)

Yep, I can see it. I don't know how the CR2 transformed into a JPG - must be the mysteries of iMacs.

The eagle has a great pose here. I did a quick edit, first of all doing a serious crop, and then just doing some local sharpening of the bird, brightening it a bit, and adding clarity, in Lightroom.

You have great subject matter, but it is very hard to get critical focus on the bird. The high-contrast twigs and branches tend to grab focus. Cropping magnifies any errors. This particular shot, it looks almost sharp on the eagle to me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,571 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 10, 2018 10:11 |  #35

You do not need to put the file in a shared folder. Just upload the file to Dropbox and share the link. There is no magic, Mac or otherwise.

Kirk

Kirk
---

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,748 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2018 10:27 |  #36

Having had to work with a clients iMac I have a nasty suspicion that Photos, I think that is what they call it now, is sticking it's oar in here. Photos on an iMac seems to like to grab hold of all image files, and try to manage them for you, whether you want it to or not. It also uses a management system where instead of the image files sitting in the file system like normal they are grabbed by Photos and actually appended directly into the Photos database. With a RAW file I have the suspicion that by default every time you then try to move it somewhere, or upload it, instead of giving you the original file, it creates a new JPEG file in the same way that Lr does when you do an export. I know I had trouble getting the original JPEG file back out of Photos for my client to upload to their website.

Photos sticking it's nose in where it wasn't wanted was one of the factors that drove me to Windows for my last computer upgrade.

I don't know enough about OSX and Photos integration to be able to offer actual constructive help though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2018 10:53 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #37

I am going to load some photos to my old windows machine and try them again

Canon 5D mark iii, 7D Mark ii, 100-400mm ii, 24-70mm f/2.8 ii, 70-200mm f/2.8 ii ,Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 sport, 580EX II, Lowpro Pro roller X300

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by sprint777.

Feb 10, 2018 11:10 |  #38

https://www.dropbox.co​m …m4plgo6/4R4A455​5.CR2?dl=0 (external link)

BigAL007 you were actually right about the mac.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,571 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by kirkt.

Feb 10, 2018 13:14 |  #39

sprint777 wrote in post #18560730 (external link)
https://www.dropbox.co​m …m4plgo6/4R4A455​5.CR2?dl=0 (external link)

BigAL007 you were actually right about the mac.

Photos does nothing to a file unless you use Photos. You literally just drag your raw file from the Finder to Dropbox (or upload it via the web interface to Dropbox) and copy the link. Photos has nothing to do with it unless you use Photos on purpose.

Dropbox also provides an app for Macs that creates and syncs a Dropbox folder on your computer - just create a folder in your Finder's Dropbox folder and it will appear on Dropbox and its contents will sync. It is not rocket science.

Kirk

Kirk
---

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 10, 2018 16:32 |  #40

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2018 18:02 as a reply to  @ DagoImaging's post |  #41

Very nice. Ok, mind sharing what you did? Please remember I am here trying to learn. Also please critic my photo so I can improve. Thanks in advance to all.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 10, 2018 18:28 as a reply to  @ sprint777's post |  #42

I added the background and used blend-if to get a fairly seamless transition...all in PS.

I then dodged the eagle to brighten him up a bit and added a touch of sharpening.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Pippan
996 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 10, 2018 19:05 |  #43

BigAl007 wrote in post #18560691 (external link)
Having had to work with a clients iMac I have a nasty suspicion that Photos, I think that is what they call it now, is sticking it's oar in here. Photos on an iMac seems to like to grab hold of all image files, and try to manage them for you, whether you want it to or not. It also uses a management system where instead of the image files sitting in the file system like normal they are grabbed by Photos and actually appended directly into the Photos database. With a RAW file I have the suspicion that by default every time you then try to move it somewhere, or upload it, instead of giving you the original file, it creates a new JPEG file in the same way that Lr does when you do an export. I know I had trouble getting the original JPEG file back out of Photos for my client to upload to their website.

Photos sticking it's nose in where it wasn't wanted was one of the factors that drove me to Windows for my last computer upgrade.

I don't know enough about OSX and Photos integration to be able to offer actual constructive help though.

Alan

I've used iMacs for 15 years and Photos doesn't grab any photo files unless you ask it to. I never use Photos except to store iPhone photos, which I only ever take to have a record of something. I just transfer .CR2 files from the camera card to a folder in Finder (iMac's file manager) and my raw converter accesses them from there. Finder also allows me to search for particular files using a range of criteria, including keywords if I could be bothered adding them.

I just uploaded a .CR2 photo file direct from Finder to my Dropbox account and generated this link: https://www.dropbox.co​m …5pn9xrw/_MG_906​7.CR2?dl=0 (external link), so it can be done.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

ejenner
Goldmember
3,629 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by ejenner.

Feb 14, 2018 23:08 |  #44

sprint777 wrote in post #18561046 (external link)
Also please critic my photo so I can improve. Thanks in advance to all.

That shot is nice, mainly because of the pose (obviously the bird need to be sharp). A lot of beginner bird photographers do not pay enough attention to the slight variances in pose that can make all the difference. There are a lot of eagle shots out there, this one looks 'regal'. This is why a lot of birders use tripods - not only because of the long heavy lenses, but you might be waiting minutes for the bird to pose nicely.

I don't think you could do anything about this, but in trees, definitely watch where the branches are. You have one across the body, which I think is fine, but also one coming out of his/her head. Sometimes just moving a bit left or right can make all the difference. In this case, I don't think you could move left because the branch in front would get closer to the head and be worse than having the branch behind.

This is really just a part of the though process when setting up for the shot that you may or may not have considered on this one, but I thought I'd mention.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

3,137 views & 1 like for this thread
Help processing some photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.