Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help achieving this look

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2018 13:10 |  #1

http://www.cassiewilso​nphotography.com/famil​y-gallery-1/ (external link)

I ask this young lady for help achieving her look with the editing and she is swamped and does not have time to help me. Could anyone help direct me in achieving this look? I like the deep vivid colors and the clean pristine clarity of the images. I have tried and cannot come no where near this look.

Website (external link)

CANON

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,828 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2018 15:30 |  #2

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #18560158 (external link)
http://www.cassiewilso​nphotography.com/famil​y-gallery-1/ (external link)

I ask this young lady for help achieving her look with the editing and she is swamped and does not have time to help me. Could anyone help direct me in achieving this look? I like the deep vivid colors and the clean pristine clarity of the images. I have tried and cannot come no where near this look.

What kind of gear do you have? What is your Post processing software?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 09, 2018 16:09 |  #3

Perhaps more Contrast, more Saturation, yet a bit less Vibrance (to keep flesh not too ruddy)
(done in Lightroom)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/contrast%20saturation_zps3tvjs69f.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2018 16:59 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #4

I shoot with a Canon 60D, and a Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens. I am processing with Lightroom 5 and photoshop CS6

Website (external link)

CANON

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,828 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2018 18:02 |  #5

So you're looking for the separation? Shoot at the long end 200mm at 2.8. Looking at some of hers she may cheat and blur the background in post.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2018 19:14 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #6

No, I know how to do the separation....."deep vivid colors and the clean pristine clarity of the images" The colors in all the images are so deep and pronounced but not over done. There is a richness to every image. I am not worry about blurring the background. Tones are perfect.

Website (external link)

CANON

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 09, 2018 19:26 |  #7

Download the NIK tools, they are free and there are filters in the suite that can do that look.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2018 20:24 |  #8

Some of the faces in her photos look unnaturally smooth, which make me suspect quite a bit of post-processing work. Especially if she's upping the clarity to increase micro-contrast: that would mean skin smoothing would need to be done to reduce the effects of clarity on skin.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 09, 2018 20:30 |  #9

I am sure the clients didn't care. :)

Not a single parent or senior or family has ever complained of the post processing I have done, and in several of the cases, the clients actually paid me more than what we agreed on at the beginning.

That being said, I would have to guess she was using an imaging set of filters on the images. Nik has some filters that do this, as do other packages, but Nik is free.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2018 21:03 |  #10

Wasn't trying to knock down her work. I was merely pointing out one of the (likely) steps on her post, since the OP wants to achieve the look.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2018 22:16 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

do you have any idea the Nik ones that do this?

Website (external link)

CANON

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2018 22:17 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #12

Which ones do this in Nik?

Website (external link)

CANON

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 09, 2018 22:24 |  #13

There are sharpener tools and effex 4 has filters. You have play with them to find the combination of settings. Like others mentioned, basic filters like just some USM, surface blur and saturation will get you close I am sure.

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 10, 2018 02:32 |  #14

Golden hour.

drmaxx
975 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2018 04:26 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #15

Chet wrote in post #18560301 (external link)
Looking at some of hers she may cheat and blur the background in post.

In quite some of the pictures you can recognize a tiny halo which points towards this background blurring and darkening.
Additionally, many of the eyes are brightened quite a bit. And certainly, there is quite a push in vibrance, contrast and clarity and turning the black slider down.
Well done.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

3,878 views & 8 likes for this thread
Help achieving this look
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.