Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do both sides of my hotshoe have a cover?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,357 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2018 15:55 |  #1

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've shot Canon forever and Canon hotshoes and the mating bit on the Canon flashes arrive bare.

My Sony A7rIII came with a little plastic bit snapped into the shoe, and the Flashpoint flash I bought for the camera also arrived with a little plastic clip on the foot. What are these for? Am I really supposed to not lose them, because I have a feeling I will lose them. It's bad enough figuring out which pocket I stuffed the lens cap in when I started shooting, these little plastic caps are going to be really easy to lose.

So, what are they for?

Thanks!

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,294 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 09, 2018 16:35 |  #2

I'm not sure, 40+ years of shooting SLR type cameras and I never had one until I purchased a Fuji camera. I have never had a problem with them being uncovered but on my Fuji it does make for a sleeker look with the cover in place.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Rustynail
32 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 09, 2018 19:06 |  #3

I would suggest because the Sony multi-function contacts are on the edge and are quite fragile compared to the Canikon version.

My name is Russell and I'm a photographic equipment whore.

JeffreyG
THREAD ­ STARTER
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,357 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2018 19:47 |  #4

Rustynail wrote in post #18560325 (external link)
I would suggest because the Sony multi-function contacts are on the edge and are quite fragile compared to the Canikon version.

I think you are right. I looked at the flash more closely and it has some super thin little wires that wrap around the edge of the mount. This seems like a poor design. My Canon flashes have just a handful of much more robust pins that protrude from the base of the foot.

I'm not saying the Sony is fragile for sure, but the fact that they ship everything with protectors and the way it seems to be pretty fragile is not encouraging.

Sony stuff is interesting. Very innovative in some ways, but very lacking in others.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do both sides of my hotshoe have a cover?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.