Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would this HP gaming desktop be decent for editing photos? (Woot daily deal)

DMax82
210 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2018 11:15 |  #1

Hey everybody, my beloved Dell laptop is about to bite the dust. It has Windows 7, which I am really going to miss, but it is time to upgrade to something a bit more current. This desktop looks like a decent one for $550. Any thoughts? I am by no means a power user. My main programs are Starstax and a couple of HDR programs. I would like to get into more advanced editing with Lightroom or Photoshop. I plan on pairing it with a nice Dell 4k monitor.

Here is the computer...http://woot.com (external link). If you are not familiar with Woot, their deals only last a day. So if you visit the site any time after today (Feb 11, 2018) there is a great chance you will see something like a 36 pack of underwear or a set of kitchen knives.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you might have! David

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,182 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2018 13:32 |  #2

Few programs for photo editing will make use of more than 2 threads in a single core. More cores mostly is of interest to someone doing multiple things at the same time with a single computer (e.g. outputting JPG files from a RAW convertor, while simultaneously playing some gamer stuff at the same time)
What you mostly want is higher clock speed (in your case, 3.0 MHz)...the turbo feature is likely to not even be activated by your photo editing software, although it could be activated by the gamer stuff going on in another core.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2018 14:15 |  #3

For future reference, here are the specs for the reconditioned HP Pavilion Power 580-137C Gaming Desktop being considered:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz (Turbo up to 3.7GHz)
16MB Cache
Processor Core: 8-Core
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400
Max Memory: 16GB
Memory Slots: 2
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5
(Dual Link DVI-D + HDMI + DisplayPort)
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Ultra Slim SuperMulti DVD±RW drive
Audio: Integrated 5.1 audio
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth: 4.2

RE: multiple cores. While many tasks in Photoshop are not fully multi-threaded, there still are certain effects that are. Here is a link to different benchmarks: Adobe Photoshop CC Multi-core performance (external link). If you'll be doing any video editing, then multi-threading is fully utilized. Programs like Adobe Premiere will also use your graphics card to speed up rendering even more. Also, Turbo Boost is something that's decided by the OS and computer BIOS: not an application. If the OS requests higher acceleration, then Turbo Boost will be enabled. On laptops, where the computer is optimized for power savings, there can be brand settings for throttling Turbo down (and it will also be throttled down if the system detects any overheating).

One potential bottleneck I see with the specs is the HD. While ordering the computer, I would buy a solid state drive (PCIe M.2 is the fastest form factor now). There is software for mirroring the installed OS and software from the packaged 1TB drive and then you can set the SSD as your primary drive. You can also add larger platter drives for storing data. I'm surprised that the max memory is 16GB, but it should be fine as a photo workstation.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,182 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2018 17:04 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #4

And while having an SSD rather than HD will greatly speed up O/S bootup for the PC, when it comes to photo editing once the preview is generated, subsequent editing will not be greatly improved in speed because there is little data being written...the original RAW is unaltered, edits are recorded in the Catalog file (for Lightroom) but little other data is written.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2018 17:32 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #5

SSDs also speed up application start and processing times (system files and cache are loaded more quickly). I save my Lightroom Catalog files on my SSD drives.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

-dave-m-
488 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 11, 2018 18:28 |  #6

davesrose wrote in post #18561618 (external link)
SSDs also speed up application start and processing times (system files and cache are loaded more quickly). I save my Lightroom Catalog files on my SSD drives.

Not true in all cases. Not all applications are hindered by slower drive speeds.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2018 18:42 as a reply to  @ -dave-m-'s post |  #7

Notice I said system files and cache. Any application that has I/O demands will see SSD advantages. Applications like Photoshop and Lightroom also generate swap files separate from system kernal RAM.

smugmug (external link)

DMax82
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2018 20:49 |  #8

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll probably sit this one out. With my current and previous laptops I have always either added an SSD if there was space, or swapped out the platters for an SSD. Seems like that would be even easier to do on a desktop.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.

sponsored links

846 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would this HP gaming desktop be decent for editing photos? (Woot daily deal)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.