Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 11 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to carry three Panasonic GH5 around?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 11, 2018 12:31 |  #1

I just want to be clear that I don't like changing lenses in the field. I'm planning a big backpacking trip that will start in either late 2019 or early 2020. My planned set up for that trip will be three Panasonic GH5 with the following lenses attached to the bodies: Leica 8-18mm, Leica 12-60mm, and the future Leica 50-200mm.

I need a bag that will allow me to easily carry and access the three bodies when shooting. It should have good back support and tough enough to survive the outdoors.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by gremlin75.

Feb 12, 2018 11:54 |  #2

lsquare wrote in post #18561433 (external link)
I need a bag that will allow me to easily carry and access the three bodies when shooting. It should have good back support and tough enough to survive the outdoors.

It doesn't exist! (well thats not completely true) You're looking at 7+ lbs in camera equipment alone + what ever your base weight is + your food for however many days you'll be backpacking. You say a "big backpacking trip" so I'll guess at 7 days.

So if 7 days, your food weight will be about 14lbs at the start. Base weights can vary a lot from person to person. My base weight while backpacking is between 10-13lbs with camera, but I only carry a small body and a lens while backpacking (x-e2 weight 27mm f2.8.....but backpacking and photography trips are two totally different things for me)

So altogether, with 2 liters of water, you'll be looking at 35+ lbs. Thats if you're getting all light weight gear for a summer trip with minimal creature comforts. That weight could easily get up to and past 50lbs if you don't have light wight gear and/or are doing a winter trip. All of that to say, you're going to need a big bag with lots of support. Lots of support and easy access to camera's do not go hand in hand.

The only bags that I know of that offer such a thing are f-stop bags. They are great hiking bag that allow easy access to your camera through the back. However I have no first hand experience with them so I don't know just how well they will carry a load for days on end.

Make the backpack the last thing you buy. You don't want to buy a bag thats to small or too big for what you need. But f-stop might be the only manufacture option for your needs.

sawsedge
763 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2018 07:01 |  #3

I don't believe f-stop will be the right pack. In terms of access, sure, but comfort for a bunch of weight, no. My Loka stops being comfortable past 20 lbs (it is strictly a day pack, not for real camping trips). Also, with simply setting it down on the ground, the bottom front corners of my Loka started to fray. F-stop called that "abuse" and refused to apply their 20-year warranty. I've never had another pack fail like that, ever. I "fixed" it with tearmender, and coated the bottom with rubber spray.

For a serious hiking/camping trip, I think you'll need a padded insert used in a real hiking backpack, preferably a panel-loader. This won't help your access time, but it will help your back and shoulders. If the cameras are going to be out of the pack most of the time, you'll want D-rings and straps of some sort (not sure how to keep 3 bodies from crashing together though).

Perhaps something like this: https://naneubags.com …-k5v2-photo-backpack-80l/ (external link) I can't speak to the comfort or the quality but the idea might point you in some direction.

- John

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

396 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to carry three Panasonic GH5 around?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.