Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2018 (Monday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter actuations on new 5Dmkiii

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 12, 2018 09:02 |  #1

I ran a shutter count program on the new camera today and it showed 936. I received the camera on the 2nd of February and ran it through Reikan FoCal software on the 3rd and again on the 5th as I wasn't happy with performance. On the 3rd 180 test shots were fired and on the 5th 95 were fired. In the process of trying out the camera I took 294 shots. That leaves 367 actuations when I received the camera. Should a new camera have that many? I have been underwhelmed by the performance thus far.

I'm wondering is this camera had been returned to the place I bought it from. Opinions?

Bill being Smug (external link)

sponsored links
dexy101
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2018 09:04 |  #2

Its clearly been returned or at least used before, a new camera should have 0 actuations.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 12, 2018 09:28 |  #3

Quite possibly an ex-Demo, only the Store can honestly tell you the history of this camera. It is a very strange situation.
When purchased, was this box sealed?
Will the Canon EOS utility s/ware show you the Shutter Actuations?

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 12, 2018 09:56 |  #4

dexy101 wrote in post #18561996 (external link)
Its clearly been returned or at least used before, a new camera should have 0 actuations.

Thanks, that's what I thought also.

Cham_001 wrote in post #18562010 (external link)
Quite possibly an ex-Demo, only the Store can honestly tell you the history of this camera. It is a very strange situation.
When purchased, was this box sealed?
Will the Canon EOS utility s/ware show you the Shutter Actuations?

The box had no seal on it. I got the actuations using another utility developed for that purpose.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,300 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 12, 2018 10:42 |  #5

I'd say it is time for a return trip to the store for a return. My Canon supplied refurb only had 40 actuations.

Out of curiosity, someone mentioned a seal on the box, and I can't say with any certainly that my bodies being Canon refurbs had seals. But everything, like the screen, did have the thin protective film and accessories (strap, software CD) were still in sealed bags. Was that your case?

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 8 months ago by Will in Tejas.

Feb 12, 2018 10:46 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18562049 (external link)
I'd say it is time for a return trip to the store for a return. My Canon supplied refurb only had 40 actuations.

Out of curiosity, someone mentioned a seal on the box, and I can't say with any certainly that my bodies being Canon refurbs had seals. But everything, like the screen, did have the thin protective film and accessories (strap, software CD) were still in sealed bags. Was that your case?

No protective film on the lcd but other items were sealed. The manuals weren't in a bag either.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,187 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 12, 2018 10:57 |  #7

I'm pretty sure that Canon products do not come in sealed boxes.

Many merchants have an easy return policy. You can return a product within 14 days or a month or whatever provided the item shows no wear, the warranty card has not been filled in, and all packaging is present. What do you think happens to those returns? They are put back on the shelf as new and resold.

It is a great convenience to customers to be able to return stuff no questions asked, but the flip side of this is that some items will have been used for a few days. In some cases there might have been quite a bit of use.

There shouldn't be a few hundred clicks on a new camera, but sometimes there will be because of the return policy. A few hundred shutters or even a thousand is nothing compared to what the camera will do in a year, so in a sense it is not significant. But on the other hand, it is not really new either.

If you are not happy with the item, return it and maybe get a replacement.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 12, 2018 11:42 |  #8

Archibald wrote in post #18562059 (external link)
I'm pretty sure that Canon products do not come in sealed boxes.

Many merchants have an easy return policy. You can return a product within 14 days or a month or whatever provided the item shows no wear, the warranty card has not been filled in, and all packaging is present. What do you think happens to those returns? They are put back on the shelf as new and resold.

It is a great convenience to customers to be able to return stuff no questions asked, but the flip side of this is that some items will have been used for a few days. In some cases there might have been quite a bit of use.

There shouldn't be a few hundred clicks on a new camera, but sometimes there will be because of the return policy. A few hundred shutters or even a thousand is nothing compared to what the camera will do in a year, so in a sense it is not significant. But on the other hand, it is not really new either.

If you are not happy with the item, return it and maybe get a replacement.

I agree that the box isn't normally sealed. The manuals are normally in a plastic bag, these were not. The Canon circular to register had been handled quite a bit and it was very apparent.

I was told by this supplier that returns aren't returned to stock. They have already taken care of doing the return.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,051 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 13, 2018 05:37 |  #9

I'd return it. Not because the clicks. (That is kind of a lot of clicks, and it would annoy me) But because of the excessive clicks and poor performance. I'm betting someone was underwhelmed and returned it. Get a new one.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,300 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 13, 2018 07:16 |  #10

Frodge wrote in post #18562613 (external link)
I'd return it. Not because the clicks. (That is kind of a lot of clicks, and it would annoy me) But because of the excessive clicks and poor performance. I'm betting someone was underwhelmed and returned it. Get a new one.

Or overwhelmed! These DSLR's, especially for someone making the move from a smartphone or P&S can be a bit intimidating.

In getting a new one, always examine the contents of the box. "The Canon circular to register had been handled quite a bit and it was very apparent." If anything looks used/worn open another box. If you are dealing online, then find another vendor. It should not be a crap shoot with the number of very reliable online vendors in the marketplace.

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 14, 2018 04:49 |  #11

The camera was returned two days ago. I'm simply exchanging and it was no questions asked. I will check the replacement as soon as it arrives.

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 22, 2018 14:05 |  #12

I got the replacement body today and the first thing I checked.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,906 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 22, 2018 14:09 |  #13

Two thumbs up and a snap.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,187 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 22, 2018 17:15 |  #14

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18569892 (external link)
I got the replacement body today and the first thing I checked.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Will in Tejas in
./showthread.php?p=185​69892&i=i241678936
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

That is great!

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,848 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 23, 2018 04:40 |  #15

Thanks guys.

sponsored links

1,842 views & 1 like for this thread
Shutter actuations on new 5Dmkiii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.